The Politics Thread 2019

Day

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why should Remain be on the ballot paper again?

I thought your gripe was that people did not know the options for leaving?

Why should leaving without a deal not be on the ballot paper? How is that fair on people that voted for that option in the first place?

Are you not understanding the idea of a referendum to let the nation decide how we leave the EU. Then that democratic decision would then be the leave option in a second referendum on wether to leave or remain in the EU

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Are you not understanding the idea of a referendum to let the nation decide how we leave the EU. Then that democratic decision would then be the leave option in a second referendum on wether to leave or remain in the EU

Yes I dont understand to be quite honest.

Instead of all of the 'other people didnt know what they were voting for' rubbish, I dont understand why people cant just be honest and say they want a Referendum so they get another chance to vote Remain and another chance to try and change other peoples minds.

Maybe just the people that voted Leave first time should vote again to see if they didnt actually know what they were voting for?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sure they will be fine with it if the offer is reciprocated. 

So free movement of people in and out of your house will be ok then? Are you sure some of your housemates will be happy with that?

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Ugh, I've got some questions about labour that hopefully someone can answer? 

First of all, Corbyn wants to bring NLW up to £10 ph for 16 years old and above (As soon as they get into power I heard) and also scrap university fees.

Now to me, as a 19 year old that sounds great, more money, free uni? awesome! But surely that will have a negative impact on the economy?? Surely goods and services will be more expensive and inflation will be huge?

Also, I understand to a certain extent this taxing the rich more, but another thing is that it is unfair in a way. Say Joe Bloggs works 7 days a week creating his own business building it up and reaches his first million, all that hard work, sweat, tears, everything he has worked for, for him to then be punished for all of his hard work and effort by being taxed more so it can go to those who cannot be bothered to get up off the sofa and find a job?

I don't understand, Labour's ideas seem great on paper but theres more to it surely than meets the eye.

This blog post from an Oxford economist may help answer some of your questions regarding Labour's spending plans: https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-differences-between-labour-and.html

17 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

This blog post from an Oxford economist may help answer some of your questions regarding Labour's spending plans: https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-differences-between-labour-and.html

Cheers for that  - an interesting read. Particularly as he seems to be saying that Labour's basic economic policy framework seems to be far more sensible than that of the Tories

I look forward to reading some blokes on a football forum tell us why the Emeritus Professor of Economics and Fellow of Merton College, University of Oxford is wrong because of something  they read in a headline in the Daily Express ?

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You think I have friends with my views? ?

23 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Who mentioned friends?

Well.after that little period of light relief. Still awaiting a serious response to this. 

52 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

So free movement of people in and out of your house will be ok then? Are you sure some of your housemates will be happy with that?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

NLW - the Tories are also saying that they will raise it to above £10ph by the end of the next term, so there isn't a deal of difference in the policy. Yet weirdly there is a difference in how they are being reported

That's because it is very different.

Phasing in a rise to £10.50 over 5 years is nothing like bringing in a rise to £10 straight away - saddling many businesses with a 10%+ rise in labour costs overnight.

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I lost my train of thought, where were we?

Ay lets act the fool and play the joker card, when you can't answer a question. Didn't realise Johnson was actually gracing us with his presence. Will you start quoting a bit of latin next?

20 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Ay lets act the fool and play the joker card, when you can't answer a question. Didn't realise Johnson was actually gracing us with his presence. Will you start quoting a bit of latin next?

I'm not sure what the question was. Repeat it and I will do my best to answer.

54 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

That's because it is very different.

I didn't say it wasn't different - but I'd argue it's not VERY different. Not to the point where one is painted as normal and one is painted as ZOMG Marxist madness!!!

56 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

saddling many businesses with a 10%+ rise in labour costs overnight.

Sorry - you need to qualify that with "for the staff that they were only paying poverty wages in the first place"

9 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Sorry - you need to qualify that with "for the staff that they were only paying poverty wages in the first place"

And what about other employees, do you think they are going to be happy to see their colleagues getting a 20% increase and not expect their pay to go up too?

Whereas you think these increases are good because they hit the multi nationals, they also hit the average Joe Bloggs just starting out in business too. It will make small businesses not want to employ people. The only other option of course is to pass on the increases to the consumer. 

5 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Lower skilled work = lower pay. Want higher pay?. Get some skills. It's not rocket science.

Trouble is, you're then relying on people wanting to work to better themselves & incentivised by higher pay.

Do an online course in the evening to get a better paid job?. Witchcraft!!. Corrie and Love Island aren't going to watch themselves, you know.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Cheers for that  - an interesting read. Particularly as he seems to be saying that Labour's basic economic policy framework seems to be far more sensible than that of the Tories

I look forward to reading some blokes on a football forum tell us why the Emeritus Professor of Economics and Fellow of Merton College, University of Oxford is wrong because of something  they read in a headline in the Daily Express ?

On 27 September 2015 it was announced that he had been appointed to the British Labour Party's Economic Advisory Committee, convened by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell and reporting to Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn.

No agenda there then.

No problem. 

Yours 

Some bloke on a football forum.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And what about other employees, do you think they are going to be happy to see their colleagues getting a 20% increase and not expect their pay to go up too?

Whereas you think these increases are good because they hit the multi nationals, they also hit the average Joe Bloggs just starting out in business too. It will make small businesses not want to employ people. The only other option of course is to pass on the increases to the consumer. 

The problem you have here are these are all the same arguments that we heard when the Minimum Wage was introduced in 1999. It was supposed to be the end of small businesses - but turned out to be the most successful government policy of my lifetime, so excuse me if I don't buy the same tosh this time.

Bottom line is that if a small business cannot afford to employ people on the set living wage (whatever that ends up being) then they don't have a valid business model. As a Tory you would surely say that they need to "work a bit harder" to come up with a better plan. Why should the government help them out by suppressing wages? NO HAND OUTS!

Joking aside, It's imperative for a functioning society that work pays enough to live on. There is a very strong argument that the current political mess we find ourselves in is down to widening inequality. People have just had enough 

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

The problem you have here are these are all the same arguments that we heard when the Minimum Wage was introduced in 1999. It was supposed to be the end of small businesses - but turned out to be the most successful government policy of my lifetime, so excuse me if I don't buy the same tosh this time.

Bottom line is that if a small business cannot afford to employ people on the set living wage (whatever that ends up being) then they don't have a valid business model. As a Tory you would surely say that they need to "work a bit harder" to come up with a better plan. Why should the government help them out by suppressing wages? NO HAND OUTS!

Joking aside, It's imperative for a functioning society that work pays enough to live on. There is a very strong argument that the current political mess we find ourselves in is down to widening inequality. People have just had enough 

The minimum wage is the most successful policy of your lifetime? Wow. 

We are on about business that may already be established to shoulder a 20% increase on their payroll costs overnight. It absolutely ludicrous.

Archived