The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Should we instead be brainwashed by Farage and use the term clean break. Leaving with no deal doesn't appear clean or easy to me.

It's up to you what you choose to call things. I just pay no attention if you use either of the terms.

Its leaving with a deal or without a deal. 

Leaving without a deal is very easy, what do you think is hard about it? We leave and the following day we start negotiating our future relationship with the EU.

Agree it might not be clean but it's very easy.

29 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I could surely just crash out of my contract  and stop paying them. Yes OK, there would be some short term pain while they set their legal team on me and pursued me through the courts. Yes OK I'd end up with a terrible credit score and wouldn't be able to get a loan or a mortgage - but if it's the will of the people then how could I not?

You'd be quids in! Think of the money you'd save - why not use that for beer instead?

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

You'd be quids in! Think of the money you'd save - why not use that for beer instead?

Do you really think he will be able to survive without Sky though?

I mean they invented football and reality tv and stuff, it would be a miracle if he managed to live without Sky right?

Ugh, I've got some questions about labour that hopefully someone can answer? 

First of all, Corbyn wants to bring NLW up to £10 ph for 16 years old and above (As soon as they get into power I heard) and also scrap university fees.

Now to me, as a 19 year old that sounds great, more money, free uni? awesome! But surely that will have a negative impact on the economy?? Surely goods and services will be more expensive and inflation will be huge?

Also, I understand to a certain extent this taxing the rich more, but another thing is that it is unfair in a way. Say Joe Bloggs works 7 days a week creating his own business building it up and reaches his first million, all that hard work, sweat, tears, everything he has worked for, for him to then be punished for all of his hard work and effort by being taxed more so it can go to those who cannot be bothered to get up off the sofa and find a job?

I don't understand, Labour's ideas seem great on paper but theres more to it surely than meets the eye.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you really think he will be able to survive without Sky though?

I mean they invented football and reality tv and stuff, it would be a miracle if he managed to live without Sky right?

I could live without Sky but if I was crippled for cash and couldn't afford the electric, there's little point having an upgrade to Virgin Media.

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I could live without Sky but if I was crippled for cash and couldn't afford the electric, there's little point having an upgrade to Virgin Media.

Maybe should not have subscribed to Sky in the first place if you cant afford the electric. 

Maybe prioritise what you are spending your money on.

52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed but the poster said the Referendum battle was still being fought.

I'm sure you are aware that it could not have been sorted before the Referendum due to the mechanisms in place to enable an exit from the EU, I mean it's almost as if they want to keep you locked in it forever...

Ok if the people weren't shown the method of how we leave on the original ballot paper. Then surely there must be another referendum for them to vote on. So they can decide what type of leave to take. Be it the first deal done by May, Johnson's revised deal or ERG's no deal. 

The conservatives want to use this General Election as a faux referendum on brexit.  This GE should be about all the things that have been ignored over the last three and a half years. Brexit just muddies the water on which party is best for the nation.

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Ok if the people weren't shown the method of how we leave on the original ballot paper. Then surely there must be another referendum for them to vote on. So they can decide what type of leave to take. Be it the first deal done by May, Johnson's revised deal or ERG's no deal. 

The conservatives want to use this General Election as a faux referendum on brexit.  This GE should be about all the things that have been ignored over the last three and a half years. Brexit just muddies the water on which party is best for the nation.

Ok so the second Referendum should be Leave with a deal or Leave without a deal?

Agree very strongly on your last paragraph. More ridiculous political games, they've learned nothing.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's up to you what you choose to call things. I just pay no attention if you use either of the terms.

Its leaving with a deal or without a deal. 

Leaving without a deal is very easy, what do you think is hard about it? We leave and the following day we start negotiating our future relationship with the EU.

Agree it might not be clean but it's very easy.

Telling someone you're leaving is easy. It's what happens after you've walked out the door, that's where things become difficult.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe should not have subscribed to Sky in the first place if you cant afford the electric. 

Maybe prioritise what you are spending your money on.

You know, it's all immaterial. I signed up to Sky. I liked watching the sport and the kids like watching the cartoon network, but the missus never liked the films or anything so moaned. She even started making stuff up, and convinced just over half the family they'll be able to continue watching movies and the Premier league games, and Sky wouldn't let us leave without keeping us as great customers (we'd just have Sky and Virgin Media, and pay less than we do now). We voted on it and we've decided to leave Sky, but it seems Virgin are hinting at lots of strings attached to their deal. Sky aren't looking anywhere as desperate to keep us with them. And we probably won't have Premier league (maybe a bit of Championship, and loads of non league, but nothing like what we had before). And the cost looks like it'll go up quite a bit - but we have a chance to negotiate new contracts with other suppliers. They might tie us in similarly, or maybe even with worse terms than we had, bit hard to decide until we get to see what's left after we leave Sky - but we know it'll be more expensive because we've to pay up the rest of the contract (Jesus, it's going to really throw the finances when we pay that off, we'll be wrecked for years).

All in all staying with Sky doesn't look like it was going to be such a bad decision after all.

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Telling someone you're leaving is easy. It's what happens after you've walked out the door, that's where things become difficult.

Agreed, but walking out of the door is easy.

If the person you're walking out on values you as a person though they will do things to try and get you to come back.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok so the second Referendum should be Leave with a deal or Leave without a deal?

Agree very strongly on your last paragraph. More ridiculous political games, they've learned nothing.

No this isn't a second referendum it's the first referendum on the method of leaving.

As a whinging undemocratic remoaner. Then yes I would then like a second referendum to be held. One that would give us the opportunity to vote for the !eave deal the people want or to remain in the EU.

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

No this isn't a second referendum it's the first referendum on the method of leaving.

As a whinging undemocratic remoaner. Then yes I would then like a second referendum to be held. One that would give us the opportunity to vote for the !eave deal the people want or to remain in the EU.

Why should Remain be on the ballot paper again?

I thought your gripe was that people did not know the options for leaving?

Why should leaving without a deal not be on the ballot paper? How is that fair on people that voted for that option in the first place?

58 minutes ago, Squid said:

Ugh, I've got some questions about labour that hopefully someone can answer? 

First of all, Corbyn wants to bring NLW up to £10 ph for 16 years old and above (As soon as they get into power I heard) and also scrap university fees.

Now to me, as a 19 year old that sounds great, more money, free uni? awesome! But surely that will have a negative impact on the economy?? Surely goods and services will be more expensive and inflation will be huge?

Also, I understand to a certain extent this taxing the rich more, but another thing is that it is unfair in a way. Say Joe Bloggs works 7 days a week creating his own business building it up and reaches his first million, all that hard work, sweat, tears, everything he has worked for, for him to then be punished for all of his hard work and effort by being taxed more so it can go to those who cannot be bothered to get up off the sofa and find a job?

I don't understand, Labour's ideas seem great on paper but theres more to it surely than meets the eye.

You're right that there is more to it.

University fees are a bit of a red herring I'm afraid. The only thing that scrapping them really does is remove the stigma of feeling like you have left higher education with a debt. As things stand, the money is given from the public purse to students as loans, and then reclaimed at a later date via a marginal tax rate when you start earning above a certain threshold. Many people will never pay it back. In terms of the economy it will make very little difference if Labour stop calling them loans and go back to how it always used to be.

NLW - the Tories are also saying that they will raise it to above £10ph by the end of the next term, so there isn't a deal of difference in the policy. Yet weirdly there is a difference in how they are being reported.

Tax you've got wrong if you think it's  "punishment" - taxation is not punishment for doing well. It's about sharing the burden as fairly as possible so that the public services we take for granted are fully funded and society functions well. Education, health, roads, transport, police, fire service etc. It's not about taking money from very rich people and giving free money to poorer people. You also have to try and get your head around the enormity of a millionaire's income. A millionaire is probably taking home about £45k per month. The proposed tax increases under Labour might change that by a couple of k. Now imagine you were earning $45k per month - how would you cope if you were suddenly only earning £43k per month? I'm sure you'd survive! and guess what? The fire service will arrive on time if you accidentally set fire to your mansion!

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed, but walking out of the door is easy.

If the person you're walking out on values you as a person though they will do things to try and get you to come back.

They may value as a person. That doesn't mean that they'll want you walking into their house any time you please and still wanting to pay mates rates for food you take out of the fridge.

Archived