The Politics Thread 2019

Day

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I quoted John Craven, who I'm sure we all trust not to lie, don't we? 

At 79 years old and white he qualifies as one those people you want to die before a 2nd referendum nice to see you are actually are being nice to the elderly for a change. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, cstand said:

At 79 years old and white he qualifies as one those people you want to die before a 2nd referendum nice to see you are actually are being nice to the elderly for a change. 

I remember someone bringing age into the debate, but not race?

6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

so you have a dangerous job, and one with a skills shortage. And your employer is the government.

You're in the same boat as Nurses, Teachers, Police...

But you're arguing against the opposition, who believe in a fairer society where at the bottom of the ladder people are paid enough to live on and at all the rungs above that, people are actually paid what they are worth, rather than as little as their employer can possibly get away with?

What's that about?

Having worked as a civil servant in the past, I promise you all parties treat staff on there payroll as footballs .  The current government have got rid of thousands of civil servant jobs and centralised work in a small number of cities.  This only happened because the last Labour government took the union to court to change the law and reduce redundancy payments when there plans were deemed illegal thereby making it affordable. They also started the closing offices as far back as 2007.  The largest increase in pay I ever had as a civil servant was 1%.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Hate to tell you but there's a mass populous out there that totally disagree with your interpretation but don't take my word for it...

Well everyone is entitled to remember the fallen whenever they want to.

On Sunday I remembered the ex soldier who I was working with a few years ago his harrowing tale of being courtmarshalled after refusing an order to shoot an innocent Afghan lad in the back was awful and clearly had affected him.

Hopefully he got the help he deserved, I wished I had never asked what it was like on duty in Afghanistan learnt my lesson though all the other ex-servicemen I have worked with not discuss their time on duty unless they raised the issue. 

3 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Does anyone genuinely think this election isn't already over? 

Not going to call it yet. Still time, anything could happen. Labour are up against it, tories are in the driving seat. Hopefully people will remember the lies from Boris and his mates and come to their senses. 

While we're on the subject of Remembrance Sunday. Found it odd that the press didn't deride a certain political party leader for his slovenly appearance, when he was laying a wreath at the Cenotaph. The idiot even managed to place the wreath the wrong way round.

So why did we not see column inch after column inch along with incriminating photos in all of todays papers? Could the answer be that the idiot was Boris Johnson and not Jeremy Corbyn.

26 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

While we're on the subject of Remembrance Sunday. Found it odd that the press didn't deride a certain political party leader for his slovenly appearance, when he was laying a wreath at the Cenotaph. The idiot even managed to place the wreath the wrong way round.

So why did we not see column inch after column inch along with incriminating photos in all of todays papers? Could the answer be that the idiot was Boris Johnson and not Jeremy Corbyn.

Think the photographers all fainted at the shock of Corbyn even bothering to turn up. Was probably only a pr exercise for him.

30 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Yes. They unanimously said that you got this one wrong. But never mind, at least you weren't trying to be condescending at the same time. 

Tell you what, I'll stop mentioning it if you do. ?

OK no problem. ?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think the photographers all fainted at the shock of Corbyn even bothering to turn up. Was probably only a pr exercise for him.

Well at least Corbyn showed some decorum and respect during the two minutes silence. Unlike Johnson who was constantly looking around and appearing to look bored by the whole event.

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I did see one comment that his coat was blue not black and his poppy was small. Oh no, that was JC again. 

It's almost as if it's nothing to do with remembrance. 

I watched an interview with Emily Thornberry on GMTV on Monday morning and when questioned about Labours Brexit policy she more or less said they will negotiate a deal which sounded like remain without any voting rights. Then put this deal to the public for a vote and let the people decide.

What choice does that give people who want to leave the EU? 

I know no deal has been negotiated but do they expect people to think they will come up with some miracle deal “the cake and eat it” deal???

I think they’d be better getting off the fence and fighting one or the other. 

Archived