The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Montgolfier said:

Here's your dictator.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/04/dominic-cummings-personally-sabotaged-tory-rebels-compromise/

Johnson is the hapless puppet on the end of Cummings's strings.

Interesting article, thx. The way he operates in the shadows and in some unflaterring pictures he reminds me of Gollum, preciousssssssss.

Proroguing and especially pushing Tories grandees out he may have pushed a bit too far and they'll be after his scalp soon.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Go on, tell me what was imposed, being as we have the mother of all veto's, that is a bad thing.  You are, as with a lot of brexiteers, being sucked in to the argument that the EU is to blame for everything.

I would consider reading my post before spouting off. Where did I say they impose austerity on us?

If you think they haven't imposed strict austerity measures on member states, then good for you.

17 minutes ago, Norman said:

I would consider reading my post before spouting off. Where did I say they impose austerity on us?

If you think they haven't imposed strict austerity measures on member states, then good for you.

He didn't mention austerity, and certainly didn't accuse you of saying that the EU imposed austerity on the UK.

Well, not in the post he quoted anyway.

It seems that people's opinions are so entrenched that when accused of one thing, the standard defence nowadays is to deny something else - and I am probably as guilty as anybody about that.

It's absolutely true that the EU did impose austerity measures on Greece etc, but any austerity in the UK over the last decade has been a self-imposed 'death by many cuts' imposed purely, simply and totally by the Tories, brought about by their own self-serving political dogma.

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Such a boring criticism of Corbyn. They have clearly said they will wait until the No Deal legislation has gone through before agreeing to a General Election as agreeing now might cause a No Deal to happen. Especially if Johnson lies again about the date.

It hardly takes deep analysis of the situation to read this for what it is (and I know that MaxJam probably just posted it as a wind-up) - but the only move BJ had left was to offer an election that was clearly a trap, knowing that Corbyn would swerve the obvious trap, and therefore he gets to try and say Corbyn has chickened out.

Except that Corbyn hasn't said he doesn't want the election has he? Just that he knows (thanks to FTPA) he gets to control the precise moment it gets called - and is doing precisely that. Eminently sensible

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

It hardly takes deep analysis of the situation to read this for what it is (and I know that MaxJam probably just posted it as a wind-up) - but the only move BJ had left was to offer an election that was clearly a trap, knowing that Corbyn would swerve the obvious trap, and therefore he gets to try and say Corbyn has chickened out.

Except that Corbyn hasn't said he doesn't want the election has he? Just that he knows (thanks to FTPA) he gets to control the precise moment it gets called - and is doing precisely that. Eminently sensible

Corbyn's played a blinder here. Not that it was that difficult to avoid getting drawn in to Johnson's playground-level plot.

And for the life of me I can't work out why Johnson has such a low opinion of the electorate to think we can be swayed by cheap name-calling.

Everyone is so entrenched now that it is virtually impossible to have a sensible reasoned debate. I have to say the Leavers are GENERALLY the worst for it. Treating the referendum as if it was a football result and any debate is an unsanctioned VAR. We are now at the point that people think Boris is a good PM and has a chance of getting a deal by 31 October. Utterly deluded. We have stopped looking at facts and thinking logically.

To even this up as a Labour Party member we have too many with delusions that Corbyn is a good leader and can (in normal circumstances) win an election. We are now in the worst political crisis since 1940 with the worst political leaders in living memory. However with all the crap I have read  from the British public over the last few years we deserve to be in this mess.    

Going into the imminent election, I can't remember any previous one where the choice of next PM is so awful.

Boris is utterly incapable of honesty and would say & do anything to be able to tick-off whatever that day's objective is.

Farage. Maybe beats Boris on the honesty bit (consistent, at least) but otherwise the same.

Corbyn isn't a leader. He's happy when stood shouting with a megaphone in his hand but is incapable of making a decision. In Len McCluskey's pocket.

Swinson - too early to tell (for me) if she'll be any good. Inexperienced.

34 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Corbyn's played a blinder here. Not that it was that difficult to avoid getting drawn in to Johnson's playground-level plot.

And for the life of me I can't work out why Johnson has such a low opinion of the electorate to think we can be swayed by cheap name-calling.

No he hasn't. The longer he delays, the more the public will turn against him. Plus when that General Election occurs, the new house will sit and vote to overturn that decision. 

38 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You have no idea of the deep hatred towards Corbyn within the general public even my own union shop steward hates him.

Apparently BoJo could engineer a GE if he and the Conservatives resigned as a Govt.

Corby is then obliged to go to HM to ask to form a Govt.

If he can't - GE

(But  … the shame the shame  )

Can't see the Lib Dems doing the Coalition thing again, SNP coalition would be completely toxic. Myself. I reckon the Scots are off  anyhoo.

If you are reading this Boris, I would like a Range Rover.

5 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Apparently BoJo could engineer a GE if he and the Conservatives resigned as a Govt.

Corby is then obliged to go to HM to ask to form a Govt.

If he can't - GE

(But  … the shame the shame  )

Can't see the Lib Dems doing the Coalition thing again, SNP coalition would be completely toxic. Myself. I reckon the Scots are off  anyhoo.

If you are reading this Boris, I would like a Range Rover.

In the case of something like this happening, could the EU make a unilateral decision to allow the UK to continue trade and movement on a limited time basis, basically give the UK a couple of weeks to finish the election? Of course Boris, Norman, Uptherams and cstand would be livid, but I don't see why the EU couldn't rule to permit it. There would be no UK government to decide to block anything heading to the UK , and if the EU were to turn a blind eye to anything heading the other way what would happen? 

1 hour ago, Montgolfier said:

He didn't mention austerity, and certainly didn't accuse you of saying that the EU imposed austerity on the UK.

Well, not in the post he quoted anyway.

It seems that people's opinions are so entrenched that when accused of one thing, the standard defence nowadays is to deny something else - and I am probably as guilty as anybody about that.

It's absolutely true that the EU did impose austerity measures on Greece etc, but any austerity in the UK over the last decade has been a self-imposed 'death by many cuts' imposed purely, simply and totally by the Tories, brought about by their own self-serving political dogma.

I was talking about austerity. He quoted me. If he wants to ignore the point of austerity, don't quote me.

I agree about austerity in this country. You can't deny who had done it. Just whether it was needed or not.

But you can't accuse the Tories of one thing and ignore the EU doing the same. It's really odd.

Archived