The Politics Thread 2019

Day

13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

And some of those old farts that voted leave in 2016 will have kicked the bucket by now.

I'm not so sure that matters. People, as they get older, tend to hold more right wing attitudes. Perhaps this is a 'rose-tinted spectacles' tendency to look at the past and a belief that 'things were better back then'.

It's quite possible that over the last few years some waverers have evolved into hard-nosed brexiteers, and some remainers have become waverers.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Montgolfier said:

I'm not so sure that matters. People, as they get older, tend to hold more right wing attitudes. Perhaps this is a 'rose-tinted spectacles' tendency to look at the past and a belief that 'things were better back then'.

It's quite possible that over the last few years some waverers have evolved into hard-nosed brexiteers, and some remainers have become waverers.

This was my mother's basis for voting leave. When pressed for examples, she was short of specifics. Trade with india, apparently. By which I assume she meant calico in one direction IPA in the other.

Just laughed at an interview outside Westminster with Brexiteer MP Nigel Evans where he goes on about how it's important that politicians listen to what the people want.

Then a protester with a placard appears behind him and says "Stop Brexit!"

He turns round and tells him to shut up and go away ?

41 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Just laughed at an interview outside Westminster with Brexiteer MP Nigel Evans where he goes on about how it's important that politicians listen to what the people want.

Then a protester with a placard appears behind him and says "Stop Brexit!"

He turns round and tells him to shut up and go away ?

No, not those people! 

A week is a long time in politics - and in opinion polls.

I would think that you would be hard-pressed to find one today showing Johnson approval figures in double figures - and certainly not in his own household. Whether Corbyn could reach the dizzy heights of 25% is another matter, though.

5 minutes ago, Montgolfier said:

A week is a long time in politics - and in opinion polls.

I would think that you would be hard-pressed to find one today showing Johnson approval figures in double figures - and certainly not in his own household. Whether Corbyn could reach the dizzy heights of 25% is another matter, though.

Johnson is Marmite. Corbyn isn't. 

35 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I'm just bored of Brexit now.

I think we should move on to our next incredible scheme - putting the UK on wheels so we can travel round the world trading with whoever we want.

Unfortunately people seem to be of the same opinion, and are in favour of a hard brexit to get it over with. No thought or rationalisation required. 

1 hour ago, Montgolfier said:

Johnson is just toast.

Remainer MP's are. The landscape of politics is changing. Remainers will be purged from the Conservatives just as Leavers will be purged from Labour. In that outcome, Labour takes the biggest hit. Farage must be loving this. 

3 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Remainer MP's are. The landscape of politics is changing. Remainers will be purged from the Conservatives just as Leavers will be purged from Labour. In that outcome, Labour takes the biggest hit. Farage must be loving this. 

With the greatest of respect, I think that is too simplistic a view of things. A polarisation of Brexit/Remain across party lines is just never going to happen.

59 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Probably 313,209 Labour members who would disagree, but whatever you want to tell yourself is fine

Do you seriously think all Labours members support him? I know quite a few Labour members including shop stewards who can't stand him.

Archived