The Politics Thread 2019

David

27 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Apparently BoJo could engineer a GE if he and the Conservatives resigned as a Govt.

Corby is then obliged to go to HM to ask to form a Govt.

If he can't - GE

But I think he could - this would be the temporary emergency national unity govt that was talked about. He seems to be doing OK at the moment creating unity amongst MPs outside of the ERG junta. It might actually be a sensible way forward

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Boris' brother now stepping down, citing conflict between family and national loyalties. Well, maybe there is some honour left in politics.

That's gonna hurt. What with an election coming and all, if his own brother doesn't like what he's doing. Shame, that.

12 minutes ago, Norman said:

I was talking about austerity. He quoted me. If he wants to ignore the point of austerity, don't quote me.

I agree about austerity in this country. You can't deny who had done it. Just whether it was needed or not.

But you can't accuse the Tories of one thing and ignore the EU doing the same. It's really odd.

Ah, the old "I said it earlier in the thread - it's your fault you didn't go back a few pages to read it" defence.

My apologies.

25 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Boris' brother now stepping down, citing conflict between family and national loyalties. Well, maybe there is some honour left in politics.

The first MP on record to resign from Parliament in order to spend less time with his family.

48 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Apparently BoJo could engineer a GE if he and the Conservatives resigned as a Govt.

Corby is then obliged to go to HM to ask to form a Govt.

If he can't - GE

(But  … the shame the shame  )

Can't see the Lib Dems doing the Coalition thing again, SNP coalition would be completely toxic. Myself. I reckon the Scots are off  anyhoo.

If you are reading this Boris, I would like a Range Rover.

The SNP would yum it up. One of the conditions they will set is a new independence referendum.

The Lib Dems will take a coalition on the promise of a second EU referendum. 

Corbyn signs off on those two things and everyone gets their General Election, which is what everyone wants, no?

5 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Or the classic on 5 live yesterday when asking people from Stockton about the benefits of a 'no deal'

"it shows how strong we are and the EU dont like that"'

There was a staunch Labour voting butcher from Barnsley that was going to vote Conservative next time around because Labour are apparently trying to stop Brexit. Like, what? 

In 2016 I didn't vote (too young, wasn't eligible) but I did advocate a leave vote because I believed we'd be able to get a good withdrawal deal and negotiate a favourable trade deal post-Brexit.

I now think that the only was forward is a second referendum - the facts have substantially changed and we now actually know what form Brexit will take - either No Deal, or May Deal, there simply isn't the appetite on the part of the EU to renegotiate what was offered to Theresa May.

The problem with the initial referendum was that Leave is a very ambiguous term. It doesn't specify which type of Brexit we were going for - how many people in 2016 who voted Brexit wanted no deal, or a soft Brexit, or other form of exit from the EU.

What we need is a proper referendum with clear, defined options. The way it's done is up for debate - personally I'd whittle down all the leave terms so that we end up with one form of leave vs. remain - e.g. 1st referendum is No Deal vs May Deal, second referendum is the winner of the first vs Remain. 

It isn't undemocratic to do this as some people suggest - why should we blindly follow the result of the 2016 referendum when the facts have changed? If you went to a restaurant, ordered a steak, and they served you a turd on a plate, would you just blindly eat it because you've already made the decision? Or would you think that the circumstances have changed and alter your first decision?

16 minutes ago, LE_Ram said:

In 2016 I didn't vote (too young, wasn't eligible) but I did advocate a leave vote because I believed we'd be able to get a good withdrawal deal and negotiate a favourable trade deal post-Brexit.

I now think that the only was forward is a second referendum - the facts have substantially changed and we now actually know what form Brexit will take - either No Deal, or May Deal, there simply isn't the appetite on the part of the EU to renegotiate what was offered to Theresa May.

The problem with the initial referendum was that Leave is a very ambiguous term. It doesn't specify which type of Brexit we were going for - how many people in 2016 who voted Brexit wanted no deal, or a soft Brexit, or other form of exit from the EU.

What we need is a proper referendum with clear, defined options. The way it's done is up for debate - personally I'd whittle down all the leave terms so that we end up with one form of leave vs. remain - e.g. 1st referendum is No Deal vs May Deal, second referendum is the winner of the first vs Remain. 

It isn't undemocratic to do this as some people suggest - why should we blindly follow the result of the 2016 referendum when the facts have changed? If you went to a restaurant, ordered a steak, and they served you a turd on a plate, would you just blindly eat it because you've already made the decision? Or would you think that the circumstances have changed and alter your first decision?

And some of those old farts that voted leave in 2016 will have kicked the bucket by now.

17 minutes ago, LE_Ram said:

Wise words.

Is @GboroRam your Dad?

My phrase for the day is now …. turd on a plate

Archived