The Politics Thread 2019

Day

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

With the Welsh Tory MP in Brecon unseated as a result of expenses fraud and Mark Field maybe going the same way after assaulting a peaceful female protester last night - the Tories get ever further from a working majority. If the DUP withdraw their support, a general election is the only realistic option

Mark Field - interesting one.

Analogy: two female Forest fans in the Derby end start mouthing off and refuse to leave - what would happen?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Analogy: two female Forest fans in the Derby end start mouthing off and refuse to leave - what would happen?

Probably the same or worse, knowing the state of some football fans. I can guarantee though that there would be more people in that Derby end disgusted by any Derby fan who publicly assaulted a non-violent female 

I guess the question is - why would two Forest fans be mouthing off about climate change in the Derby end?

13 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Probably the same or worse, knowing the state of some football fans. I can guarantee though that there would be more people in that Derby end disgusted by any Derby fan who publicly assaulted a non-violent female 

I guess the question is - why would two Forest fans be mouthing off about climate change in the Derby end?

I get your point, and you are right, but I also think that someone protesting at a private event should go in with an understanding that it may well get nasty. I don't condone - at all - grabbing her by the neck, especially from a guest, but the behaviour is undeniably provocative. Security should have handled it but if she refuses to leave then she has to be removed, in the least aggressive way possible. That didn't happen, Field shouldn't have done what he did but I also have some sympathy for how he got to that place.

As for the Forest fans, well they've got nothing else to bang on about have they? Certainly nothing worth saying from a football perspective.

32 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

With the Welsh Tory MP in Brecon unseated as a result of expenses fraud and Mark Field maybe going the same way after assaulting a peaceful female protester last night - the Tories get ever further from a working majority. If the DUP withdraw their support, a general election is the only realistic option

Unless that election returned a big majority for the Brexit party, or the lib dems, I can't see how it would alter anything with regards to Brexit. 

17 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I get your point, and you are right, but I also think that someone protesting at a private event should go in with an understanding that it may well get nasty. I don't condone - at all - grabbing her by the neck, especially from a guest, but the behaviour is undeniably provocative. Security should have handled it but if she refuses to leave then she has to be removed, in the least aggressive way possible. That didn't happen, Field shouldn't have done what he did but I also have some sympathy for how he got to that place.

As for the Forest fans, well they've got nothing else to bang on about have they? Certainly nothing worth saying from a football perspective.

I was half watching one of the attendees being interviewed on BBC Breakfast this morning. Charlie Stayt was laying it on thick about what happened being unacceptable and I thought the response was good - how would the BBC react if people had just wandered in and done the same?. Answer: they'd be man-handled out of the building in the same way.

I accept the footage doesn't look great but have sympathies with the MP who reacted, not knowing what was going to happen next. As always, we don't get to find out the entire context of the event.

The fact that he's a Tory MP is completely irrelevant. I've seen footage of hecklers being "dealt with" at Momentum and UKIP events and it aint pretty.

34 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I accept the footage doesn't look great but have sympathies with the MP who reacted, not knowing what was going to happen next.

I'm enjoying the commentariat lines of "what if she had a gun/knife/bomb?" when we all know in that situation he'd have been under the table in a pair of badly soiled trousers. It's not a good look for him that none of the other 300 guests felt the need to do that to her. 

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I'm enjoying the commentariat lines of "what if she had a gun/knife/bomb?" when we all know in that situation he'd have been under the table in a pair of badly soiled trousers. It's not a good look for him that none of the other 300 guests felt the need to do that to her. 

Because they were already soiling themselves under the table?

49 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

One of the incidents would produce a court appearance, resulting in a fine, a banning order and a criminal record. Along with the perpetrator being vilified in the press as a thuggish hooligan.

While the other incident will resulting in a lot of hot air being produced from the meaningless statements made to the press. A quiet chat with a senior police officer and a possible slap on the wrist for the the aggressor in the incident.

Not that this will surprise anyone, but regardless of who wins the Tory leadership contest the best chance the Tories have got of remaining in power at the next general election is by delivering Brexit.

D9lf-D-XkAMuYND.png

12 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Not that this will surprise anyone, but regardless of who wins the Tory leadership contest the best chance the Tories have got of remaining in power at the next general election is by delivering Brexit.

D9lf-D-XkAMuYND.png

Kind of tells you what a state we're in as a country when 9/12% would still vote for the Brexit Party even after we've left! 

Not sure I quite understand why the Labour and Green votes go up slightly if we Brexit either

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Kind of tells you what a state we're in as a country when 9/12% would still vote for the Brexit Party even after we've left! 

Not sure I quite understand why the Labour and Green votes go up slightly if we Brexit either

Labour voters include a sizeable chunk of leave supporters. I'm surprised it isn't more traditional Labour vote supporting the brexit party during the current impasse. 

Green, though, no idea. 

21 minutes ago, maxjam said:

D9lf-D-XkAMuYND.png

What's most disappointing to me, as a labour supporter, is that the blue line is a vote for more austerity. And regardless of what Brexit does or doesn't mean, around 43-45% of the electorate still support more austerity. 

15 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What's most disappointing to me, as a labour supporter, is that the blue line is a vote for more austerity. And regardless of what Brexit does or doesn't mean, around 43-45% of the electorate still support more austerity. 

Agree - I think it's that the blue people on that chart are those who don't think austerity affects them as they don't feel it in their wallet

What's truly sad is that they don't even realise that they are feeling it in other more pernicious ways.

And we know that's true because they spend all day bitching an social media about how sad they are about the collapse of social values, the homeless, knife crime, police "not doing anything", NHS waiting lists, poor public transport, the housing market, ineffecient local councils etc etc 

22 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Agree - I think it's that the blue people on that chart are those who don't think austerity affects them as they don't feel it in their wallet

What's truly sad is that they don't even realise that they are feeling it in other more pernicious ways.

And we know that's true because they spend all day bitching an social media about how sad they are about the collapse of social values, the homeless, knife crime, police "not doing anything", NHS waiting lists, poor public transport, the housing market, ineffecient local councils etc etc 

This was in the paper last week .  Begs the question why would this be allowed to continue,  a blunt knife isn't an ideal solution

Nottinghamshire Police are being criticised over proposals to hand out blunt knives to victims of domestic abuse to lower attacks. The new scheme involves offering to replace kitchen knives with special ‘no point’ knives to people who have been threatened or attacked with a blade. Officers say they are concerned about the amount of knife-related crimes taking place in people’s homes and hope the new scheme has the potential to save lives. However some residents have slammed the scheme as ineffective and a waste of taxpayer’s money.

The strong point in here is that Labour vote is down in the 'no Brexit' scenario as well. I am the strongest of remainers but this is the evidence we need to confirm that your choice is sadly Brexit or Farage. Jeez - ain't that a devil and the deep blue sea of a choice.

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I suspect the issue is more that a significant number of voters are fearful of Corbyn gaining power and the return to too much power with the unions. Too many people with memories of Robinson, Scargill and the like.

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

They looked mostly over 70.

Probably soiling themselves in their chairs......?

They do that when they cough.

Archived