The Politics Thread 2019

David

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, GboroRam said:

What's most disappointing to me, as a labour supporter, is that the blue line is a vote for more austerity. And regardless of what Brexit does or doesn't mean, around 43-45% of the electorate still support more austerity. 

Its worse than that mate. The Lib Dems are firmly in the austerity gang as well. 

NHS and public service supporters are a minority in this country I'm afraid. Apparently I'm a marxist traitor for wanting a country like I grew up in for my grandkids.?

55 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its worse than that mate. The Lib Dems are firmly in the austerity gang as well. 

NHS and public service supporters are a minority in this country I'm afraid. Apparently I'm a marxist traitor for wanting a country like I grew up in for my grandkids.?

I was wanting a better life in a better world, than the one I grew up in, for my grandchildren. But at the moment I'll take the life of my parents,they grew up during the great depression and world war two. Their lives got better over time. Thats something I can't see happening for most of today's generation. Unless we as a society can find a new way to live, that will be beneficial to us all and not just the lucky few. 

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I know politicians should be allowed a private life and all that but wow...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/21/police-called-to-loud-altercation-at-boris-johnsons-home

What a load of rubbish. It shows that police are obviously not understaffed and the neighbour can’t be trusted. If I called the police every time the girl next door kicked off because her partner has spent all day on his sexbox they would be there every weekend. 

22 minutes ago, Gritters said:

What a load of rubbish. It shows that police are obviously not understaffed and the neighbour can’t be trusted. If I called the police every time the girl next door kicked off because her partner has spent all day on his sexbox they would be there every weekend. 

It actually shows that an 'incident' that has a significant politician involved gets president over anyone else, also probably because the neighbour had said they have recorded it.  If you called the police about your neighbour, they would not bother, after one call.  If you called 4 or 5 times and told them you heard breaking glass, gun shots, or threatened to intervene, then they may turn up, and probably arrest you.

Police are massively underfunded, and the quality in the service they provide is awful.  They are a result driven service provider.  They will go after the little fish, no backbone, or funding to go after the bigger ones. 

On a side note, if a politician lived next to me, I would 'grass' them up at any opportunity.

11 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

It actually shows that an 'incident' that has a significant politician involved gets president over anyone else, also probably because the neighbour had said they have recorded it.  If you called the police about your neighbour, they would not bother, after one call.  If you called 4 or 5 times and told them you heard breaking glass, gun shots, or threatened to intervene, then they may turn up, and probably arrest you.

Police are massively underfunded, and the quality in the service they provide is awful.  They are a result driven service provider.  They will go after the little fish, no backbone, or funding to go after the bigger ones. 

On a side note, if a politician lived next to me, I would 'grass' them up at any opportunity.

Actually if a call from a neighbour was made, the call handler would try to ascertain if anyone is in immediate danger. A woman shouting, a man sounding aggressive and "get off me" heard from the woman may get prioritised for a police visit. 

17 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Surprised that there isn't a 24 hour police presents around the two people who are perpetually our next Prime Minister.

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Actually if a call from a neighbour was made, the call handler would try to ascertain if anyone is in immediate danger. A woman shouting, a man sounding aggressive and "get off me" heard from the woman may get prioritised for a police visit. 

Two cars and a van, for an incident involving 2 people...hmm

Bet a knife incident doesn't get that much of a response.

So -

New PM will be declared on Monday July 22nd
Parliamentary summer recess begins on Friday July 25th
Parliament returns on Tuesday September 3rd
Brexit extension expires on October 31st

So the new PM has 8 weeks to achieve Brexit, when they have a minority government, therefore don't have the parliamentary numbers to get through the existing deal, or get a no deal passed. The EU are saying they won't renegotiate....so

We're not leaving the EU on October 31st are we?

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

There's a massive contradiction in your argument though. The police are massively underfunded but can still send out 2 cars and a van to an incident involving a politician. 

Is it possible that in this country completely wrapped up in red tape that there are too many police staff sat in offices doing pointless tick box exercises?

Could it be incidents are not being attended for fear of claims of racism?

10 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

So -

So the new PM has 8 weeks to achieve Brexit, when they have a minority government, therefore don't have the parliamentary numbers to get through the existing deal, or get a no deal passed. The EU are saying they won't renegotiate....so

Does not deal need to be passed?

Thought it was written in law that we leave come what may?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

There's a massive contradiction in your argument though. The police are massively underfunded but can still send out 2 cars and a van to an incident involving a politician. 

That is the exact point.  Knife crime soaring, not enough coppers.  BJ has a row, 2 cars and a van attend, to a mild domestic, which had no screaming or threatening language.  The police and their priorities are the contradiction here.  Yes, they are massively underfunded, just like the NHS.  Just shows what they deem as important.

So our next prime minster is going to be chosen by a group of 200,000, overwhelmingly white,  middle/upper class, over 55 year olds who will be the people least affected by Brexit. 

And the choice these people will make is between two privately educated, upper class over 50s.

One of whom has a history of racist comments, conspired to have a journalist beaten up for printing something one of his friends didn't like, wasted ore than £56 million on a non-existant bridge while he was mayor of London, and has recently been recorded in a domestic ditrubance so loud and prolonged that neighbours had the chance to call the police and record it all from the safety of their own home. A man whose words were seized upon by Iran to justify the continued imprisonment of a British mother.

The other failed to declare his part-ownership in a housing company, spent more than a year battling with Junior Doctors over their contracts, broke his NHS funding promises and wants to lower the abortion period to 12 weeks (when a lot of fatal conditions can not be spotted yet).

One is clearly a lot worse than the other, but I despair at the thought that these two are the best the Conservative Party has to offer.

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

So -

I'm not sure what scenario ever sees us leave. 

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

So -

If we leave on October 31 with no deal, all the kippers and Faragistas will flood back and the Tory party will live on, but the rest of the country will go to hell in a handbasket, 'for our own good'. Meanwhile, the UK splits up quicker than the USA can say "that's a nice NHS. I'll have that."

If we remain (A50 is revoked), the Tory party dies and their supporters flock en-masse to the Brexit party, but one by one the old folk die off so the demographics become more and more pro-EU. The UK remains as a viable entity.

So no deal it is then - party before country, rich before poor.

15 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

So our next prime minster is going to be chosen by a group of 200,000, overwhelmingly white,  middle/upper class, over 55 year olds who will be the people least affected by Brexit. 

And the choice these people will make is between two privately educated, upper class over 50s.

One of whom has a history of racist comments, conspired to have a journalist beaten up for printing something one of his friends didn't like, wasted ore than £56 million on a non-existant bridge while he was mayor of London, and has recently been recorded in a domestic ditrubance so loud and prolonged that neighbours had the chance to call the police and record it all from the safety of their own home. A man whose words were seized upon by Iran to justify the continued imprisonment of a British mother.

The other failed to declare his part-ownership in a housing company, spent more than a year battling with Junior Doctors over their contracts, broke his NHS funding promises and wants to lower the abortion period to 12 weeks (when a lot of fatal conditions can not be spotted yet).

One is clearly a lot worse than the other, but I despair at the thought that these two are the best the Conservative Party has to offer.

What does 'overwhelmingly white' mean?

Also, how do you quantify who will be most affected by Brexit? 

Agree that the candidates are anything to get excited about but I'm also struggling to think of any viable alternatives from and party, never mind just the Conservatives. 

The last 3 years has been a real opener into how incompetent our politicians are. 

1 hour ago, eddie said:

If we leave on October 31 with no deal, all the kippers and Faragistas will flood back and the Tory party will live on, but the rest of the country will go to hell in a handbasket, 'for our own good'. Meanwhile, the UK splits up quicker than the USA can say "that's a nice NHS. I'll have that."

If we remain (A50 is revoked), the Tory party dies and their supporters flock en-masse to the Brexit party, but one by one the old folk die off so the demographics become more and more pro-EU. The UK remains as a viable entity.

So no deal it is then - party before country, rich before poor.

And current generation over all future ones.

An important but unwritten social contract broken.

I'm telling my 17 year old son to follow his dreams and go global. His parents generation have let him down. We should reap what we have sown.

Archived