The Politics Thread 2019

David

15 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

What does everyone make of the Kyle Kashuv situation?

He needn't worry about Harvard rescinding his acceptance because he's a obnoxious racist MF.

Trump will give him a bigly job.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Harsh TBH, made a mistake, apologized, vowed to learn from it? What more can he do

We have all said stupid poo when we were 16. Would be more concerned if he tried to justify what he said or if he refused to apologise

He's still young. He'll try to justify it.

Meanwhile, we will be getting Captain Avoider as unelected Prime Minister and Proroguer of Parliament. That's more of a concern to me now.

19 hours ago, bcnram said:

I suspect a lot will be done with online declerations and the ocassional spot check. There are too many crossings for barriers everywhere.

Maybe a few honesty boxes and a few extra statues of the Virgin Mary?

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Maybe a few honesty boxes and a few extra statues of the Virgin Mary?

Papist!!! Paisley would turn in his grave.

?

21 minutes ago, eddie said:

Tory leadership candidate praises Corbyn's political nous. We are truly in the End Times...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rory-stewart-tory-leadership-race-contest-corbyn-mi6-spy-labour-member-a8963096.html

Why?. Surely it's possible for someone to have some admiration for the way Corbyn and his disciples have taken over the Labour party?

11 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Harsh TBH, made a mistake, apologized, vowed to learn from it? What more can he do

We have all said stupid poo when we were 16. Would be more concerned if he tried to justify what he said or if he refused to apologise

Concerned?? Elected President more like

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/18/most-conservative-members-would-see-party-destroye

Interesting poll at the bottom, almost half of all Tory members would be happy if Nigel Farage became their new leader ?

It really is Brexit or bust for them!

Con party members june 2019 farage leader happy-01.jpg

Interesting that they found 892 Tory Party members...the figure generally reported is 160,000 members - but the membership accounts subscription figure seems to indicate that they either have a LOT of honorary members who don't pay a membership fee or actually only half that amount

Hard to see how that is deemed sovereignty when it comes to electing a PM ?

16 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Interesting that they found 892 Tory Party members...the figure generally reported is 160,000 members - but the membership accounts subscription figure seems to indicate that they either have a LOT of honorary members who don't pay a membership fee or actually only half that amount

Hard to see how that is deemed sovereignty when it comes to electing a PM ?

Brown was simply anointed PM. May seemed to be given it by virtue of every other candidate imploding before a vote could be held, so she was anointed too. At least this time some people are voting. The Tories won the last election so having their members vote seems a reasonable method. I wonder (seriously) what the best/fairest way of doing it would be? Do you have suggestions?

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Brown was simply anointed PM. May seemed to be given it by virtue of every other candidate imploding before a vote could be held, so she was anointed too. At least this time some people are voting. The Tories won the last election so having their members vote seems a reasonable method. I wonder (seriously) what the best/fairest way of doing it would be? Do you have suggestions?

It's a good question. British democracy has almost always veered strongly towards an election whenever there is a change of PM mid term. That's more about securing a mandate than anything. Backfired quite badly for May, so now this is the first time an incoming PM will inherit a minority government.

That's not getting a lot of mentions right now, as the media focus is on the selection process - but I'd be willing to bet it gets a lot more focus once the winner is declared and the job of actually governing has to start

The DUP are all about keeping NI in the Union and not being treated any different as a result of Brexit. Good luck with that Boris

On 16/06/2019 at 15:08, Highgate said:

'Brutal history on both sides', while true, doesn't quite give the full picture of the situation in Northern Ireland. It should be remembered that historically NI was a state that clearly discriminated against its Nationalist citizens since its foundation in the 1920s.   'A cold house for Catholics' as the Ulster Unionist David Trimble admitted in 1990s. 

Hence the Northern Ireland civil rights movement in the 1960s, which resulted in a violent government response and a violent Loyalist backlash (when some reforms were announced). From the somewhat understandable largely defensive Republican violence of the 1960s the Provisional IRA emerged, and they took a completely different approach.  Targeting the British state in it's entirety, including innocent civilians (and I would add innocent soldiers and policemen - who were just doing their jobs), their actions were despicable, evil and unforgivable.  Their methods simply cannot be defended by any reasonable person.  I'm sure we agree entirely on that.

However, I would argue that Northern Ireland was in fact the Right Place and the Right Time for some sort of response against the injustices the Nationalist community had suffered in Northern Ireland. A peaceful response (like the Civil Rights movement had been - in which John Hume was a prominent figure incidentally) was timely and entirely justified in my view. 

I'm quite ignorant of Corbyn's contact with Republicans or his motivations to be honest, but I can say that the British government was frequently in secret contact with the IRA as well as having extensive contact with Loyalist paramilitary groups.  

Yes ( and we’ll spoken ) ..  For sure a civil rights movement - and these were many over the worst years, I remember well the pair Catholic and Protestant mothers who caused a real stir and I think made serious strides and in publicising what real people thought.

i make no excuse for the ugly side of the orange order. Narrow minded thugs the lot of them but the hard edge cannot be avoided but for a bit of geography between 2 democracies, one with institutional bigots, the IRA in persuit of a purely political aim put bombs in Pubs, Hotels, outside fast food outlets and wherever they felt justified. 

Adams was a political apologist for that, knew the people who were doing that and many politicians on the far left were more than comfortable giving tacit support - for no other reason than they were a thorn in the side of multiple governments in the UK. 

Hulme, Major, Ashdown, Blair and Mo Mowlem were all decent pragmatic people trying to find a way rather than play some perverse political game 

5 hours ago, StivePesley said:

It's a good question. British democracy has almost always veered strongly towards an election whenever there is a change of PM mid term. That's more about securing a mandate than anything. Backfired quite badly for May, so now this is the first time an incoming PM will inherit a minority government.

That's not getting a lot of mentions right now, as the media focus is on the selection process - but I'd be willing to bet it gets a lot more focus once the winner is declared and the job of actually governing has to start

The DUP are all about keeping NI in the Union and not being treated any different as a result of Brexit. Good luck with that Boris

Regarding the selection process, Boris Johnson is demonstrating tonight that he is totally unfit to run a bring-and-buy sale, let alone a country.

Unfortunately, the Tory membership (aka the Senile Blue Rinse Brigade) will be too utterly stupid to see it.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Regarding the selection process, Boris Johnson is demonstrating tonight that he is totally unfit to run a bring-and-buy sale, let alone a country.

Unfortunately, the Tory membership (aka the Senile Blue Rinse Brigade) will be too utterly stupid to see it.

It's that sort of condescending attitude that led to the brexit result in the first place eddie,so we'll done for continuing in the same vein.

Archived