The Politics Thread 2019

David

14 hours ago, Wolfie said:

0.5bn is about 0.06% of government expenditure. 

Thats like someone on £45k a year getting an unexpected bill of £27. Small change really. 

It's not a lot of money. Neither is membership of the EU. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I see there's one sane Conservative MP. Faced with voting for Johnson, Gove or Hunt he/she took the only honourable option and spoiled their ballot paper.?

Think I'd be inclined to use it as toilet paper. 

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

I see there's one sane Conservative MP. Faced with voting for Johnson, Gove or Hunt he/she took the only honourable option and spoiled their ballot paper.?

The choice is now between the one who likened the EU to Soviet gulags and the one who likened it to the Third Reich.

I am normally a firm believer that we get the politics we deserve but what have we done to deserve this?

59 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rumours of some tactical voting by Boris fans to prevent it being a Gove-Boris final

Rumours? I think from the votes in the previous round it was almost impossible for Hunt to beat Gove unless Boris "lent" some of his votes to him

So there we have it - a PM who will be chosen by ballot fixing and less than 100,000 people.

So glad we live in a democracy

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

As someone who writes books from time to time, a final pairing of Johnson and Gove would have been the perfect story arc and how I'd have finished the novel. That said I'm pleased life isn't imitating art.

Would have been a good end to the 2nd book in the trilogy. Like the end of the Empire Strikes Back before the good guys win in the end.

I wonder what the result of the EU referendum would have been if people knew that in 3 years time a Brexit vote would directly result in Boris Johnson becoming PM ? 

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Rumours? I think from the votes in the previous round it was almost impossible for Hunt to beat Gove unless Boris "lent" some of his votes to him

So there we have it - a PM who will be chosen by ballot fixing and less than 100,000 people.

So glad we live in a democracy

Round 3
Boris - 143
Hunt - 54
Gove - 51

Round 4
Boris - 157
Hunt - 59
Gove - 61

Round 
Boris - 160
Hunt - 77
Gove - 75

Only a 'gain' of 4 from round 4 to round 5 for Hunt over Gove

In fact, Gove only had more votes than Hunt in one round (round4)

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Round 3
Boris - 143
Hunt - 54
Gove - 51

Round 4
Boris - 157
Hunt - 59
Gove - 61

Round 
Boris - 160
Hunt - 77
Gove - 75

That's because they had to remove the brown guy in that round.

Tories are nothing if not totally predictable.

Gove and Johnson both look like the earlier workings of someone trying to build a Tory in a lab, just a few further on from the one that has an arm coming out of their forehead or a mouth in their armpit, but still destined for the reject bin before they escaped via the laundry chute. They are simply incomplete as politicians, as statesmen and as leaders. As Mark Steel says, Thatcher was evil but at least she was competent.

In what has been a whacky few years in politics I now find myself actually wanting Keremy Junt as PM. It is a bit like choosing death by firing squad or hanging but still.

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Round 3
Boris - 143
Hunt - 54
Gove - 51

Round 4
Boris - 157
Hunt - 59
Gove - 61

Round 
Boris - 160
Hunt - 77
Gove - 75

5 Javid supporters publicly declared for Boris after their man was knocked out in round 4.

But Boris's vote only increased by 3.............?

Future of this country now lies in the hands of 160,000 (alleged) gamons, who are also immune any negative impacts that the brexit process is causing, and any impact of leaving the EU, if that happens.

Both have already ruled out a general election before brexit, so neither of them have the interest, or self belief that they are wanted by the rest of the country to run it.

2 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Both have already ruled out a general election before brexit, so neither of them have the interest, or self belief that they are wanted by the rest of the country to run it.

Interesting on QT last night when the Tories were asked directly what the plan was to break the Brexit deadlock when a no-deal won't get through parliament and the EU have refused to renegotiate May's deal - they had no answers

Some guff about how important it was to leave no-deal on the negotiating table as a threat. A bit like when you're 16 and you get dumped and you say "i'm going to kill myself if you don't take me back" - obvious you don't mean it and even if you did, only one person is the loser there

12 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Future of this country now lies in the hands of 160,000 (alleged) gamons, who are also immune any negative impacts that the brexit process is causing, and any impact of leaving the EU, if that happens.

It's taken 126 pages but I finally agree with something you've said. 

If the rumours of 'lending votes' it's true, it just goes to show that these politicians are so very out of touch with what the general public want.

Find it impossible to disagree with anyone that says we should now have a general election. 

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Find it impossible to disagree with anyone that says we should now have a general election. 

With the Welsh Tory MP in Brecon unseated as a result of expenses fraud and Mark Field maybe going the same way after assaulting a peaceful female protester last night - the Tories get ever further from a working majority. If the DUP withdraw their support, a general election is the only realistic option

38 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Some guff about how important it was to leave no-deal on the negotiating table as a threat. A bit like when you're 16 and you get dumped and you say "i'm going to kill myself if you don't take me back" - obvious you don't mean it and even if you did, only one person is the loser there

Not in the Brexit mindset - in that reality the girl would then fall to pieces herself and decide not to make any more German cars because there's just no point.

I thought the most perceptive point last night on QT was the one from Laura Pidcock when she made the very fair observation that the Brexit team are now pitching the deal option as some sort of cop out way to get this fudged through and that only a no deal is a real Brexit - it's the purest way to do this. That is really quite apparent when you look at it and really quite scary as a thought process.

Archived