The Politics Thread 2019

Day

On 22/06/2019 at 11:14, StivePesley said:

So -

New PM will be declared on Monday July 22nd
Parliamentary summer recess begins on Friday July 25th
Parliament returns on Tuesday September 3rd
Brexit extension expires on October 31st

So the new PM has 8 weeks to achieve Brexit, when they have a minority government, therefore don't have the parliamentary numbers to get through the existing deal, or get a no deal passed. The EU are saying they won't renegotiate....so

We're not leaving the EU on October 31st are we?

Actually got this slightly wrong in as much as I forgot to include 3 weeks of Conferences in the middle of the 8 weeks.

I see BloJo is now trying to say we can leave with no deal and sort things out during the implementation period - seemingly oblivious to the fact that the implementation period only applies if we leave under the negotiated deal. No deal means everything grinds to a halt on day 1

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article in this week's economist about why according to Plato's seminal work Republic, boris Johnson will be a terrible democratic leader.

Good analysis of the traits generally believed necessary, why they are not boris's traits and why his behaviours are generally observed to be more like those of an "elected tyrant ".

32 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Actually got this slightly wrong in as much as I forgot to include 3 weeks of Conferences in the middle of the 8 weeks.

I see BloJo is now trying to say we can leave with no deal and sort things out during the implementation period - seemingly oblivious to the fact that the implementation period only applies if we leave under the negotiated deal. No deal means everything grinds to a halt on day 1

Article 4, no?

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

I'm not sure what the obsession is with having the money to pay for it. The only fact that really counts is that I said I wanted a Lamborghini.

Is this analogy supposed to make sense or is it just a random comment that bears completely no resemblance to the point I was making?

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Is this written in stone?

More snippets from around the web...…...BoJo's "altercation" with the girlfriend has gone down extremely poorly with the electorate such that his lead has halved according to opinion soundings. Reports MSN (so not that reliable).

This is his problem - he has so much baggage for us to discover/remind ourselves of and is so amoral he is likely to shoot himself well and truly in the foot.

Which would leave us with *unt…….dear lord.....?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is this analogy supposed to make sense or is it just a random comment that bears completely no resemblance to the point I was making?

Correct - it's not meant to make sense. That's the idea. I was taking the mick out of your equally nonsensical comment. You're welcome 

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Correct - it's not meant to make sense. That's the idea. I was taking the mick out of your equally nonsensical comment. You're welcome 

Oh...perhaps you should point out when you're trying humour in future, give us thickos a bit of a warning.

Not really sure what you find nonsensical about me believing that there does not need to be Parliamentary majority for anything in order for us to leave the EU. 

The Referendum certainly made no mention of there needing to be a Parliamentary majority in order for us to leave.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is this written in stone?

I think it is. Any other arrangement would have to be with some form of agreement. And No Deal is by definition without any agreement. 

Any other outcome will be with some deal, albeit a basic one as a stopgap. 

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Haha - the referendum made no mention of a LOT of things!

Well I suggest that should be taken up with the politicians that failed to deliver the facts that you believe would have led to the result that you wanted.

38 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Not sure I follow. Article 4 of the withdrawal agreement? The point of "no deal" is that there is no withdrawal agreement isn't it? We just cease to be a member

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/no-deal-brexit-could-be-legal-mess

I thought Article 4 only pointed to an exit from the EU, with  a negotiation period of up to 3 years?

A no deal is an exit.

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well I suggest that should be taken up with the politicians that failed to deliver the facts that you believe would have led to the result that you wanted.

You won - get over it!

19 minutes ago, Norman said:

I thought Article 4 only pointed to an exit from the EU, with  a negotiation period of up to 3 years?

But that's part of the withdrawal agreement that TM negotiated  - which we either leave under, or we leave under no deal/no withdrawal agreement. No withdrawal agreement=no 3 years implementation period. We're just out and on our own.

That's my understanding anyway - but interested in alternate interpretations

4 hours ago, StivePesley said:

3 hours ago, Norman said:

Article 4, no?

Not being a lawyer, all I can take from reading article 4 is that it relates to the sovereignty of a member state.

Maybe you could enlighten us, on how this inpacts on any implementation period.

Anyone else see this? Theresa May's gushing ode to the wonder that was the Windrush generation? Couple of thoughts from me on it.

1: How deluded must you be to think this is going to go down well?

2: How bereft of trusted advisors must you be that no-one 'has a word' with you to stop you?

3: How can you seriously watch back the fakery and faux fawning in the tone of delivery and still want to press the send button?

4: How can you look yourself in the mirror after reading the comments? This is our PM, the elected (sic) leader of our nation and not one comment in there is anything other than flat out derisory.

It does make you realise that when people say Johnson will be worse than May that is a pretty damning statement and will be, even for the buffoon that he is, something that will actually take some serious effort (or lack of) to achieve.

What an utterly FUBAR'ed time we live in.....

On 23/06/2019 at 07:37, G STAR RAM said:

The only majority that really counts was the one in the Referendum.

So would you say you are with Jeremy Hunt on this one? If successful businesses are wiped out then that's just the way it is because that's what people voted for?

Archived