Game of Thrones Season 8

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/05/2019 at 08:22, Nuwtfly said:

Can't see anyone getting the ending they want, now. Unless you've been keen to see Gendry or Bran on the Throne or something.

No chance they're going to end it with Dany sat on the Throne after what she's done. Jon will probably kill her and then take the Black again (if there's even a Watch to go to).

Spoilers

Spoilers

Spoilers

OK. Had you seen a preview episode? That's a pretty damn impressive post. Especially now the Night King is dead so there's no reason whatsoever to even have a Night's Watch! 

Defo setting up a sequel for Arya. And the reason nothing happened in the final episode was because it apparently took the entire VFX budget for Jon to pet Ghost.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Spoilers

Spoilers

Spoilers

OK. Had you seen a preview episode? That's a pretty damn impressive post. Especially now the Night King is dead so there's no reason whatsoever to even have a Night's Watch! 

Defo setting up a sequel for Arya. And the reason nothing happened in the final episode was because it apparently took the entire VFX budget for Jon to pet Ghost.

Thought the same thing, too quite an ending for Arya .

Spoilers

Spoilers

Spoilers

I thought it was a good ending for most of the characters. The small council scene was great and, aside from Tyrion not getting a mention in ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ (a decision that disappointed me. Surely it goes against the idea that ‘a small man can cast a large shadow’?), I was happy with the endings for all of the characters in that scene. Brienne filling out Jaime’s page in the White Book was really poignant.

The Starks saying goodbye to each other was very emotional and well done. I hope Arya one day returns from the west though. She does love her family after all. Happy for Sansa.

It seems that Jon has gone to live beyond the Wall. I genuinely whooped when he petted Ghost, as I was really disappointed at the way he had said goodbye in Episode 4. 

I didn’t think this would be the case, but I agree with those who are saying that we could see more from these characters in the future. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Spoilers

Spoilers

Spoilers

Nope, hadn't seen or read anything. 

It's not that impressive though, really. That was probably the most predictable episode in the entire show. Everything just seemed fairly obvious as it was happening.

Nonetheless, I'm fairly happy with that ending. 

I've just decided to start watching GoT and have seen just the first 4 episodes so far.

This is mainly because I've been burnt too many times in the past, investing time into series which either get cancelled (Fringe) or peter out into general crapness (Lost).

Given the poor reviews of the last season & ending, I'm not sure whether to bother with it or not.......

20 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I've just decided to start watching GoT and have seen just the first 4 episodes so far.

This is mainly because I've been burnt too many times in the past, investing time into series which either get cancelled (Fringe) or peter out into general crapness (Lost).

Given the poor reviews of the last season & ending, I'm not sure whether to bother with it or not.......

Watch.

20 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Don't let other people's whining stop you from doing something you might love.

Go for it! I'd watch it all again tomorrow, despite its flaws. 

My daughter binge watched the whole saga in in about 5 weeks in order to watch last night's episode "live". I've only just watched it so she didn't tell me anything other than "horrible". It was probably a bit tame after all that had gone on before, but it was also the only feasible ending. We still don't know where Bran popped off to though when the Night King was in full flow.

5 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Spoilers

Spoilers

Spoilers

Just got to say this. I mean if you haven’t watched the latest episode and enter a topic titled with the show, you kinda got to expect people talking about the episode so it’s not really spoilers. 

I mean, spoilers would be if you was revealing plot lines that you’ve seen leaked before the episode airs. Or if it was a topic elsewhere which you wouldn’t expect to run into conversations on the show.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Just got to say this. I mean if you haven’t watched the latest episode and enter a topic titled with the show, you kinda got to expect people talking about the episode so it’s not really spoilers. 

I mean, spoilers would be if you was revealing plot lines that you’ve seen leaked before the episode airs. Or if it was a topic elsewhere which you wouldn’t expect to run into conversations on the show.

Tbf, if anyone had complained then I'd call them thick for coming on here before they'd seen it.

Firstly, i have thoroughly enjoyed this last season, ignoring all the online rubbish and people wanting some sort of Disney ending, it's been very Thrones and for me is a good ending.

That said, we all do love a happy (ish) ending and getting what we want so would love, like many, to see more from this story so in my head I've come up with a feasible story that they could do in a movie or two and still make a decent story out of it which is as follows:

Daario, in Mereen, hears of Dany's death and angry decides to raise an army along with his second sons to take revenge on Westeros. he attacks Kings Landing. Tyrion and Bran send for aid from their allies in the North. Knowing that they will need all they help they can get, Sansa sends word out to Castle Black and Jon returns with Tormund, Ghost and the wildlings to help his family. The North marches on Kings Landing but they are too late. Tyrion has been executed by Daario and Bran taken captive. The Realm rallies around the Northerners and look to take the capital back but Grey Worm and the unsullied hear of Jon's return from Exile and come back to Westeros with the Dothraki to finish the job they started.

Grey Worm starts his attack by taking Winterfel and killing taking Sansa prisoner and marches her to face Jon's army before executing here in front of Jon Ala Rickon. Jon, being Jon loses his cool and leads a charge against the Unsullied/Dothraki but is looking like ending in defeat when Drogon returns. Sensing Jons true Targayen lineage Drogon lands by Jon who mounts the dragon and torches the unsullied winning the war.

Daario uses the scorpions, that have been rebuilt by Tyrion out of fear that Drogon could one day return, to kill the final dragon. Jon and the Realm battle the remaining Second Son's in Kings Landing. Bran gets caught in the crossfire and is mortally wounded before Jon finishes off Daario.

Brans final act as King is to elect Jon as the King of the Seven Kingdoms and to take his rightful place as ruler.

End.

Bit pointless as it'll never happen but it was in my head so I wanted to write it down somewhere!

Well that was ******* weird. The entire Jon killing Dany scene was ******* weird. The entire scene with them making Bran King was ******* weird (thank god they didnt take Sams democracy idea though.) and Tyrion becoming hand was ******* weird. Thought they might take the opportunity to explain some stuff about the Night King and whatnot, but nope we're saving that for the spinoffs. Pretty boring episode other than that. Pretty much the only part I liked was the small council meeting near the end - not sure who Tyrion needs to feed though what with the major population centre in the area not existing anymore.

On 17/05/2019 at 13:08, Mr Tibbs said:

Would love a spin off series to try and explain this a bit more. Have we ever had a proper explanation of how they returned after the first men defeated them? 

I’ve read all the books but can’t remember anything in them either? (A long time ago mind). 

They have hundreds of spinoff series planned. I assume this is the reason why they couldn't be bothered to actually explain anything in the main series.

1 hour ago, NorfolkRam said:

Firstly, i have thoroughly enjoyed this last season, ignoring all the online rubbish and people wanting some sort of Disney ending, it's been very Thrones and for me is a good ending.

Nobody wanted a Disney ending, but they only had to kill Dany and everyone else's favourite characters get to liver happily ever after. Its only one character death away from being the perfect Disney ending. The dragon loves Jon to much to kill him and the Unsullied let him go just because. Jon even gets to reunite with his pet direwolf at the end. The whole purpose of Game of Thrones was to move away from the tropes and cliches used in most fantasy stories and that's all we get now.

I thought that ended alright actually. The last scene with Arya, Jon and Sansa all going off in their different directions with the GoT music was pretty spine tingling for me. Bran was a curveball, Jon doing Danny wasn't so much. 

Poor Edmure, man. He's had a rough ride since the Red Wedding. 

Few things I didn't like...

Daenerys character was a thrown together villain built with a hammer and spanner. Almost made her a character again at the end there but not quite. It's the same old plot of the good guy becoming insanely bad for shock factor. A piss poor attempt to justify it by pointing out she's killed people before (none of them innocent) and her Dad was mad (did that happen in 1 morning too?)

The comedy. Not very GoT at all. I didn't like the council meeting scene tbh. All characters around the table are funny but not then. 

Arya vanishing west. Why? Unless the answer is "so HBO can do another series with a popular character they pushed to the front"

Jon heading North. I get the Nights Watch bit. That's cool. Heading north? Why? Unless the answer is "so HBO can do another series with a popular character they pushed to the front"

Grey Worm heading off to Narth. On his own with no missus? Why? Unless the answer is "so HBO can do another series with a popular character they pushed to the front"

It felt very unlike Game Of Thrones. It felt a bit of a cliche. 

But it's a great show that lived to see its ending unlike 24, Lost and a few other things that died before they got there. 

It was rushed. It replaced depth with grand scenes and set pieces. 

No way in the midst of seasons 3 or 4 or 5 would you accept an ending where everyone sits in a circle voting. 

Great show, good acting, great music, rushed ending 

9/10. It's a must watch. It was nearly perfect. It was like drawing a huge detailed picture and then having to colour it in. 

I think the biggest issue, truly, is that HBO had to/tried to (I'm not sure which) throw effectively two seasons worth into one season of just six episodes. 

The six episodes should have been split into at least 12, ideally 18 or 20. It would have allowed a lot more subplots, character building/deformation more organically. Instead, as rightfully pointed out, it came across as rushed because it absolutely was. The pace of the last season was so out of sync with the rest of the series. 

The war with the dead should have been season 8, followed by the fight for the throne as season 9. The deaths of Varys and others wouldn't have seen so abrupt then. 

Nevertheless, I still really enjoyed the season because I was fully invested. I can get on board with the ending and conclusions, but can understand the frustration as it seemed thrown together. We had lots of 'prophecies' go unanswered and lots of major storylines seem, in the end, absolutely useless - R+L=J - being the main one. Not finding out who on earth the prince (or princess) - Azor Ahai -  who was promised equally as irritating. 

It's a shame, but it still doesn't take away from the genius of the show. I believe it will encourage hundreds of thousands of people to read the books in full - me included - which will go into a lot more depth and hopefully fill in the answers to some of the questions still remaining. 

Archived