Game of Thrones Season 8

DarkFruitsRam7

27 minutes ago, David said:

Is it just these last 2 episodes that are that bad? Been following the thread as I have limited interest in who ends up on the throne after the 3 seasons of my time I gave it. You all seemed to be enjoying it, then all of a sudden it’s dropped off a cliff the last couple of weeks. 

They’re still amazing pieces of television. They’ve just made some strange decisions recently and appeared to have rushed things. That’s been the case for seasons 7 and 8, but I suppose the recent ones have copped more flak because they’re paying off the rushed storylines; we’re seeing the deaths of characters that have been there since the beginning and there’s more focus on it since it’s the end of the show.

I think we’ll be able to reflect on it better a few months/years down the line.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, David said:

Is it just these last 2 episodes that are that bad? Been following the thread as I have limited interest in who ends up on the throne after the 3 seasons of my time I gave it. You all seemed to be enjoying it, then all of a sudden it’s dropped off a cliff the last couple of weeks. 

Just twisting characters they've spent years and years building. GoT has always had epic surprises and clever twists you should have seen coming but didn't.  

You ever watch WWF as a kid? Sometimes a good guy would attack another good guy for no reason and then become the bad guy? Well that's ok because you don't watch 9 years of wrestling for the complex storyline of 10 wrestlers. 

No GoT fan ever became a fan because of it's epic battle scenes or good guy/bad guy characters. You came for the complexity of the characters. A character would act after their own interests. They weren't always good or bad. 

No character wanted to save the world and no character wanted to destroy it. All characters were shaped. Some were sick and twisted and some had compassion

Might as well watch WWF again if you want to see on the spot personality transplants. 

Well I've really enjoyed this season so far - although it seems I'm the only one!

From what I can tell all the characters have stuck pretty true to themselves.

Danaerys has gone from threatening to burn down Mereen to actually burning down Kings Landing without any of her trusted advisors to counsel her and the discovery Jon has a better claim to the throne. Better to rule by fear than love, as she says herself earlier in the episode, and she's pretty damn feared now.

Jamie goes back and dies with the only woman he's ever loved and attempting to protect his unborn child - and as the series has constantly shown, he'll do anything to protect his children. Only Euron slowing him down stopped them from escaping.

Euron, as he always has been, is more obsessed with reputation than doing the clever thing (ie. running away). Remember what the first thing he did was when he got back? Killed his father and bragged about it. 

Tyrion, for all his biting remarks, has always been an optimist, which is why he keeps believing Cersei will give up the throne to protect her children and keeps giving rubbish advice on that count. Plus, like Jamie, he loves his nephews and nieces. remember his interactions with Marcella and Tommen in season one? Not so hard to believe he would try at all costs to save his unborn cousin.

The Hound died killing his undead brother. No explanation needed. 

There are others I can talk about, but I don't think I've seen anything this season that I would describe as character assassination.

BTW, kudos to the cast. They've played their roles so well this season and last episode in particular. Cersei crying her eyes out when the end comes, Varys taking being burnt to a crisp stoicly and Jon, Tyrion and Arya's looks of incredulity at what Danaerys is doing. Emilia Clarke was also very good. 

12 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Except she was like that - the crucifixion of slave owners in Mareen, the execution of the bloke who murdered a prisoner, the torching of the Tarly father and son - all vengeful.

And it's not as if the history of mental problems in her family have been kept secret.

The Jaime thing I don't really understand but I can understand the lure of an ex-girlfriend even when he is comfortable in a new relationship.?

But she always had this greater good intention. She always had it in her mind that she knew what would make the world a better place and she would not let anyone sway her from her destiny. 

Slavery will stop or you will die. Stand aside or die. Obey me or die. Yeah, she's had an edge to her and she's always had a character beside her to calm her. 

They've gone down the mad queen route but that would have needed more character development for us to understand. She just went 0-1000 just because she lost a friend and Jon didn't bang her. 

This is a girl that's been raped, sold, widowed, rich, poor, humiliated.... we've seen her shaped into a dangerous beast but one that serves the greater good. 

Either do more seasons watching her unravel or just let the Night King do what she just did. 

It's as immersion breaking as a loading screen on a video game. Or buffering when you're... you know? 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's as immersion breaking as a loading screen on a video game. Or buffering when you're... you know? 

Trying to get on this forum after getting home from the play-off semi final?

7 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Well I've really enjoyed this season so far - although it seems I'm the only one!

From what I can tell all the characters have stuck pretty true to themselves.

Danaerys has gone from threatening to burn down Mereen to actually burning down Kings Landing without any of her trusted advisors to counsel her and the discovery Jon has a better claim to the throne. Better to rule by fear than love, as she says herself earlier in the episode, and she's pretty damn feared now.

Jamie goes back and dies with the only woman he's ever loved and attempting to protect his unborn child - and as the series has constantly shown, he'll do anything to protect his children. Only Euron slowing him down stopped them from escaping.

Euron, as he always has been, is more obsessed with reputation than doing the clever thing (ie. running away). Remember what the first thing he did was when he got back? Killed his father and bragged about it. 

Tyrion, for all his biting remarks, has always been an optimist, which is why he keeps believing Cersei will give up the throne to protect her children and keeps giving rubbish advice on that count. Plus, like Jamie, he loves his nephews and nieces. remember his interactions with Marcella and Tommen in season one? Not so hard to believe he would try at all costs to save his unborn cousin.

The Hound died killing his undead brother. No explanation needed. 

There are others I can talk about, but I don't think I've seen anything this season that I would describe as character assassination.

BTW, kudos to the cast. They've played their roles so well this season and last episode in particular. Cersei crying her eyes out when the end comes, Varys taking being burnt to a crisp stoicly and Jon, Tyrion and Arya's looks of incredulity at what Danaerys is doing. Emilia Clarke was also very good. 

I enjoyed it up until this episode. I loved season 7 too which some moan about. 

I do think though they've gone to every character that you've mentioned and thought of the quickest way to get them where they're going. 

It took Dany 7 seasons to become a queen that you wouldn't want to fight but would be inspired by. 

It took Jaime 6 seasons to go from selfish, arrogant bar steward to a vulnerable good man.

Euron... fair enough. Like Joffrey and Ramsey he's just a nasty piece of work. A bully. They exist in the world since episode 1.

It took 7 season for Tyrion to find his true purpose. His place in the world. He cared about sex and ale. 60 hours later he cares about peasants and the world.

The Hound. Fairly good story of redemption. He's always been a dick and his character didn't break at the end. Although The Mountain was just weird and the fight wasn't really the reward for a meeting of destiny.

Grey Worm.. took 7 seasons for him to develop an opinion. 

Arya... 7 seasons to go from a rough kid to super assassin.

Varys... always survives and rises to the top. Very very careful with information and trust 

And in 2 hours Dany went mad, Jaime abandoned his guardian angel, Tyrion lost his purpose, Grey Worm is now as lively as Alan Carr, Arya wants to go and play her PS4 and Varys has organised a protest march through Westeros.

The acting is great, the special effects are brilliant, the music is amazing. When Arya killed the Night King I cheered!!! 

But that? That wasn't the characters I just spent years watching. They would need a lot more time to unravel like that.

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

I enjoyed it up until this episode. I loved season 7 too which some moan about. 

I do think though they've gone to every character that you've mentioned and thought of the quickest way to get them where they're going. 

It took Dany 7 seasons to become a queen that you wouldn't want to fight but would be inspired by. 

It took Jaime 6 seasons to go from selfish, arrogant bar steward to a vulnerable good man.

Euron... fair enough. Like Joffrey and Ramsey he's just a nasty piece of work. A bully. They exist in the world since episode 1.

It took 7 season for Tyrion to find his true purpose. His place in the world. He cared about sex and ale. 60 hours later he cares about peasants and the world.

The Hound. Fairly good story of redemption. He's always been a dick and his character didn't break at the end. Although The Mountain was just weird and the fight wasn't really the reward for a meeting of destiny.

Grey Worm.. took 7 seasons for him to develop an opinion. 

Arya... 7 seasons to go from a rough kid to super assassin.

Varys... always survives and rises to the top. Very very careful with information and trust 

And in 2 hours Dany went mad, Jaime abandoned his guardian angel, Tyrion lost his purpose, Grey Worm is now as lively as Alan Carr, Arya wants to go and play her PS4 and Varys has organised a protest march through Westeros.

The acting is great, the special effects are brilliant, the music is amazing. When Arya killed the Night King I cheered!!! 

But that? That wasn't the characters I just spent years watching. They would need a lot more time to unravel like that.

Personally i think the end of the Night King was awful - so anti climatic and with only one episode left it appears he definitely is dead, so there will be no further story to redeem it. Why he didnt just get his dragon to bite Brans head off i do not know.

I also didnt think Tyrions complete betrayal of Varys was handled very well. Just decides to snitch on the guy who has kept him alive several times and is one of his best friends without a second thought. Its probably because both characters have now become monumentally stupid in everything they say or do...

57 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Personally i think the end of the Night King was awful - so anti climatic and with only one episode left it appears he definitely is dead, so there will be no further story to redeem it. Why he didnt just get his dragon to bite Brans head off i do not know.

I also didnt think Tyrions complete betrayal of Varys was handled very well. Just decides to snitch on the guy who has kept him alive several times and is one of his best friends without a second thought. Its probably because both characters have now become monumentally stupid in everything they say or do...

And Cersei's death... impressive. One of the best characters in the show. Probably the best really. Everything she's ever done has made sense. You know how she thinks and how she gets to all her decisions. 

As Dany, champion of the people, starts killing millions of people... Cersei, devious survivor, becomes a damsel in distress. Instantly. 

Maybe Dany just hates bells and Cersei made all the steel lion head tips for the dragon slaying arrows. Because both lost their poo in what was a battle they'd known about for what? A year? 

20 minutes ago, Alpha said:

And Cersei's death... impressive. One of the best characters in the show. Probably the best really. Everything she's ever done has made sense. You know how she thinks and how she gets to all her decisions. 

As Dany, champion of the people, starts killing millions of people... Cersei, devious survivor, becomes a damsel in distress. Instantly. 

Maybe Dany just hates bells and Cersei made all the steel lion head tips for the dragon slaying arrows. Because both lost their poo in what was a battle they'd known about for what? A year? 

Perhaps never champion of the people but always the cynical self-obsessed pragmatist, doing what needs to be done to get where she needs to be to fulfil her destiny. We are just suckers for a pretty face and a few PR shots about justice.

As for Cersei, people do the strangest things when faced with death. Her crying like a little girl was the highlight of this episode.

21 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

Am i the only one who burst out laughing when The Mountain killed Qyburn on the rock and then launched his body? ?

I enjoyed that. Qyburn’s a character I’m more than happy to see die, the creepy little bar steward, and I was quite pleased it was done in such an unceremonious fashion. 

So what happens at the end? It’s 0-1 at half time and is anyone’s game. My money is on Ayra killing Dragon girl, then Bran turning into the night king bringing all the dead alive and taking the Iron throne. Snowy becomes his right hand man (as he’s basically dead anyway) and that’ll be the end of that !!! 

Well seeing as characters now develop a lot quicker I see Sansa heading south with a new army and taking Kings Landing 

Arya sets up a charity for the homeless and becomes like the high sparrow.

Sam who's toughening up sees the carnage and as Dany rings the bell for surrender he loses his marbles and cuts down Grey Worm

I mean feck it. Its Game Of Throne on LSD now. 

It's going to be Sansa to the rescue though innit. Dany kills Jon and Sansa kills Dany. Arya kills Grey Worm? 

Sansa queen. Happily ever after.

Although I'm not sure what happens to the dragon. Maybe he takes his mask off and turns out to be Ghost all along

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

So what happens at the end? It’s 0-1 at half time and is anyone’s game. My money is on Ayra killing Dragon girl, then Bran turning into the night king bringing all the dead alive and taking the Iron throne. Snowy becomes his right hand man (as he’s basically dead anyway) and that’ll be the end of that !!! 

The mountain survived his fall. Just as Dany is being crowned he pops up behind her and tears her head off with his bare hands. Sam for some reason makes friends with the mountain and uses Qyburns notes to create an entire army of undead, unkillable super heroes who cant feel pain or emotion. The mountain and sam march north only for Bran to warg into the mountain. He uses the undead army to wipe out all life in Westeros and then burns the surface of the land, salts the earth and kills himself to make sure there is absolutely nothing left for D & D to make further shows out of.

The show has always been about power, the quest for it and how it corrupts people. It would have been very much unlike the show for there to be a happy ending. They have to end it somehow and it feels sudden but most plots and stories build to one big point. It terms of Dany aside from Greyworm she has lost all those she trusted/cares about. Sometimes people just snap.

It shouldn't be rated badly because it doesn't do want you want it do. I would have stopped before the end if the first series if that was the case.

41 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

The show has always been about power, the quest for it and how it corrupts people. It would have been very much unlike the show for there to be a happy ending. They have to end it somehow and it feels sudden but most plots and stories build to one big point. It terms of Dany aside from Greyworm she has lost all those she trusted/cares about. Sometimes people just snap.

It shouldn't be rated badly because it doesn't do want you want it do. I would have stopped before the end if the first series if that was the case.

Exactly, if characters I liked didn’t die, then Ned would still be alive, as would Rob. And the series would be generic crap. All those people moaning that their favourites have gone bad or been killed without ceremony need to go back and watch the red wedding. 

39 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I still think the final episode should have been the wight walkers killing all humans and finish with their King sitting on the throne

What I don’t get it, say the night king did that. Or even in the situation that actually occurred, while he’s busy dismembering the umbers, and marching south. Why didn’t the remaining wildlings just skirt around his army and head back home. The night king will either be defeated by someone, or would spend the next many, many years gradually marching south, then east and defeating the rest of the known and unknown world. The wildlings would be in the safest place in the world. 

8 hours ago, BondJovi said:

How on gods name have you come to the conclusion that people don't like this season because its not a happy ending? For all you know the last episode is a happy ending with everyone freinds again - it would be consistent with the rest of the writing choices so far in season 8.

The thing most people dont like are the ruining the arcs of virtually every major character, ignoring all the foreshadowing set up in previous seasons, ignoring the lore, ignoring the prophecies, ruining character profiles in general, the terrible dialogue, the insane plot armour, the fan service and the Deus Ex Machinas. The story in general is also abysmally bad. The explosions were pretty cool though i suppose.

The whole point of GRRMs books was to not build a story based on cliche fantasy story tropes and thats all we are getting this season.

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Exactly, if characters I liked didn’t die, then Ned would still be alive, as would Rob. And the series would be generic crap. All those people moaning that their favourites have gone bad or been killed without ceremony need to go back and watch the red wedding. 

Apart from maybe Theon Greyjoy basically no major character has died this season, because they have the thickest plot armour Ive ever seen.

The red wedding made sense from a character stand point and fit into the story, as did the death of Ned Stark. Just because its a surprise doesnt mean its good - thats the star wars episode 8 school of writing of "subverting expectations" must make it good. The red wedding was an example of good writing whereas this season nothing makes sense anymore, the characters just pick their personality out of a magic hat and the story is built by throwing darts at random story pieces.

Archived