Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Absolutely unfair, on the pitch it’s been more enjoyable but off it we are news and huge publicity- increased publicity means more money in - sponsorship- advertising- better players looking at us and wanting to come - youngsters being promoted to the first team - he has earned a new contract and also we cover ourselves better if and when he does leave.

Let’s be fair, it wasn’t that difficult to make things more enjoyable after watching hoof it to Cameron Jerome! I don’t deny franks increased publicity around us but that’s just his name, not his managerial skill. FWIW I think he’s a good coach and that certainly does help with promoting youngsters and attracting loaners. Think some people forget he took over a team that finished 6th and ultimately finished... 6th again. Take the playoffs out your head a little as they’re a bit of a lottery and look at the season as a whole... we had a lot of bad games last year.

Not saying Lampard hasn’t done a decent job because he absolutely has, just that it wasn’t really beyond all expectations worthy of a huge new contract sort of good- when you consider the season as a whole. Just saying to exercise a little caution, I want him to stay, but while a new contact increasing compensation would protect us if Chelsea come calling again, what if we’re 20th in November? Worst case scernario I know but it’s possible with any manager. If we have to terminate a huge contact it’ll be costly. 

Not trying to be negative just playing devils advocate. I want frank to stay but we do have to keep calm about the situation- as I’m sure MM is.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What did the fans giving Stevie Mac stick and loads of it, when he was linked with the Toon expect him to say? He did actually come out and commit to the Rams but that still wasn't enough for some......glad they are giving Frankie less flack in similar circumstances......

I think once the dust has settled on this saga, a deep dive into Mac’s time at Derby would be really interesting. Like a month by month, blow by blow account of what happened.

Somewhere there was a breakdown of trust between him and the club that wasn’t just Newcastle related in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Let’s be fair, it wasn’t that difficult to make things more enjoyable after watching hoof it to Cameron Jerome! I don’t deny franks increased publicity around us but that’s just his name, not his managerial skill. FWIW I think he’s a good coach and that certainly does help with promoting youngsters and attracting loaners. Think some people forget he took over a team that finished 6th and ultimately finished... 6th again. Take the playoffs out your head a little as they’re a bit of a lottery and look at the season as a whole... we had a lot of bad games last year.

Not saying Lampard hasn’t done a decent job because he absolutely has, just that it wasn’t really beyond all expectations worthy of a huge new contract sort of good- when you consider the season as a whole. Just saying to exercise a little caution, I want him to stay, but while a new contact increasing compensation would protect us if Chelsea come calling again, what if we’re 20th in November? Worst case scernario I know but it’s possible with any manager. If we have to terminate a huge contact it’ll be costly. 

Not trying to be negative just playing devils advocate. I want frank to stay but we do have to keep calm about the situation- as I’m sure MM is.

Who says he is being offered a ‘huge contract ‘ 

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

I think once the dust has settled on this saga, a deep dive into Mac’s time at Derby would be really interesting. Like a month by month, blow by blow account of what happened.

Somewhere there was a breakdown of trust between him and the club that wasn’t just Newcastle related in my eyes.

Agree, be very interesting to compare the 2 situations and fans reactions ?

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Just my opinion but I think Mel had his sights on Clement and saw him as the man to take us on, and was probably a bit miffed we had gone from Top to 8th in the space of a few weeks. Mels biggest mistake in his time here.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Who says he is being offered a ‘huge contract ‘ 

Its true I tell you, here is the mail man at Pride Park trying to get it in the envelope.

JUSTIN-TROVATO-HUGE-CONTRACT-US-CELLULAR

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

But you state a HUGE new contract , how do you know it’s a huge new contract ? Could it be frank signed on a contract that reflected his status as novice manager and has shown in his first season that he is a very competent manager at this level and deserving of the going rate and perhaps above because he ALSO brings massive pr for the club.

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

But you state a HUGE new contract , how do you know it’s a huge new contract ? Could it be frank signed on a contract that reflected his status as novice manager and has shown in his first season that he is a very competent manager at this level and deserving of the going rate and perhaps above because he ALSO brings massive pr for the club.

I seem to remember talk when he signed about Ipswich not wanting to pay him the salary he thought he was worth. Although Ipswich did run this season I n a shoestring and went down hard.

29 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Just my opinion but I think Mel had his sights on Clement and saw him as the man to take us on, and was probably a bit miffed we had gone from Top to 8th in the space of a few weeks. Mels biggest mistake in his time here.

Something happened that wasn’t just fans being against Mac’s ‘courting’ of Newcastle. I’m sure we talked a lot on here about his lack of Plan B, which isn’t really spoken about when a Mac comes up now. Clement was also very highly regarded, wouldn’t surprise me if we had feelers out long before we got him.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

What exactly do you expect him to say? There doesn't appear to have been an official approach from Chelsea but if there is one to come then how can he decide what he's going to do until he hears what they have to say?

Slightly weakens his hand with Mel if he proclaims undying desire to stay with us. 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Something happened that wasn’t just fans being against Mac’s ‘courting’ of Newcastle. I’m sure we talked a lot on here about his lack of Plan B, which isn’t really spoken about when a Mac comes up now. Clement was also very highly regarded, wouldn’t surprise me if we had feelers out long before we got him.

The Plan B was certainly a hot topic.

I recall us trying a Plan B against I think Chesterfield in the cup and it wasnt pretty,

Plan C was starting Warnock as holding midfielder in the final home game. Think he lasted 27 mins or something like that.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

The Plan B was certainly a hot topic.

I recall us trying a Plan B against I think Chesterfield in the cup and it wasnt pretty,

Plan C was starting Warnock as holding midfielder in the final home game. Think he lasted 27 mins or something like that.

Was that the Reading game? Up there with the angriest I've been as a fan for 30 years.

Sith Happens
Just now, Kennington Ram said:

Was that the Reading game? Up there with the angriest I've been as a fan for 30 years.

Think so. Regardless of not having a Plan B the players themselves were so poor that day, even young Will Hughes.

Maybe they just didnt know what to do though i dont know.

To be fair we would have got nowhere anyway in the play offs we just couldnt buy a win.

Archived