Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Ambitious

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I can see MM saying he would sell the club if they don't get promoted.  I don't however buy that he would add that he was losing 3M a month. That is not a great sales pitch from a successful business man. So I think I smell bull

It's there in the accounts for all to see...

Cant blame Mel if he wants to sell. Losing millions for plenty of abuse in return. I would like to think he would keep some involvement at least just to make sure any new owners dont go crazy and ruin us and also dont rely on the fit and proper persons check.

27 minutes ago, Ramet said:

Players wages are 36mil a year on there own i can tell you this figure is not far off.but i dont believe he wants to sell but added investment maybe true.we are about to reach the last year of the ffp 3 year cycle and will again be aloud to invest on the playing staff......

The ffp is a rolling cycle isnt it? So every yesr is the last in a 3 year cycle. We just lose some of our bigger player expenditures this time which might free up some funds.

Couple from my side.

1 - Hugely grateful to Mel for the investment he has put into the club - particularly at a time when we really needed it. But I have never been a fan of his style of ownership, he owns it with his heart rather than his head and has made mistakes that it was easy to see at the time were really bad decisions. But he has also done good and kept us at the top end of the Championship for most of his duration, you can't knock that as an outcome even if we wished it would have been more.

2 - Let's not tarnish ourselves with the view that all foreieng owners are asset stripping baddies in the mould of Bolton, Forest or Blackpool. We can similarly look at Leicester, Man City, Bournemouth, Liverpool, Cardiff and others who - some cultural integration aside - have their clubs in far better places than they were when they came.

3 - Let's not forget that the one thing you don't want is a disengaged owner. Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix will show you what happens when that comes around plus we can sorely recall not only Maxwell and Gadsdy but also where we went when Jeremy got tired of his train set.

4 - Like it or not, pretty much the only business model that works in football now is a bank rolling sugar daddy. It's not nice but the whole system is FUBAR'ed. We can try to be self sufficient but when Qatari oil money is being ploughed in for fun from the other end it's a tough one to fight. A bit like Mason Bennett, being one of our own isn't always enough.

So, in conclusion, I don't particularly want Mel out but I wouldn't see it as a bad thing if he decided to move on. And, to be sure, the chances are that he will not do it at a loss so don't shed too many tears. Just look at the current valuation of Man Utd to see what the Glazers might reap from a potential sale, Morris has done this for the good of Derby County but he will also likely be rewarded for his loyalty.

I wouldn't blame him, but he is an owner with the best intentions for the club at heart and the money to spend to achieve that. Those 2 aspects in an owner are a recipe for bliss, if you disagree try owners without those 2.

A change in ownership brings huge uncertainty and I'd be sad if Mel does sell up, but wish him well and hope he brings in owners with the same 2 qualifications.

12 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Couple from my side.

1 - Hugely grateful to Mel for the investment he has put into the club - particularly at a time when we really needed it. But I have never been a fan of his style of ownership, he owns it with his heart rather than his head and has made mistakes that it was easy to see at the time were really bad decisions. But he has also done good and kept us at the top end of the Championship for most of his duration, you can't knock that as an outcome even if we wished it would have been more.

What were the really bad decisions that were easy to see at the time?

I only ask because as I recall most were drooling during his early days and crowing about how rich we were and could afford to do what we wanted.

Peter Risdale seems to attend a lot of our games. He was sat with a heavily disguised Mick McCarthy v Ipswich.

#dreamteam ?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What were the really bad decisions that were easy to see at the time?

I only ask because as I recall most were drooling during his early days and crowing about how rich we were and could afford to do what we wanted.

Not sure why people drooling has got anything to do with the posters point.  They won’t have sight of the cash flow and understand the implications of spending X million.

As for bad decisions, January transfer window under clement for one, knowing that there was a possibility of sacking the manager and allowing him to spend so much cash. 

Not that I’m in any way saying that he hasn’t  been good for the club, he is after all paying for the mistakes, however IF the rumours are true, it’s a bit of a worry that he has allowed it to run to losses of 3M and he now wants out because of this.

9 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Well a section of our fan base look to be getting what they have wished for . Personally I'd be gutted if Mel sells up , think he's a fantastic chairman all round and clearly loves the club , would be an end of an era . 

Good owner, poo chairman

I hope its sheikh monsour. Add us to the ‘city’ franchise of clubs re-name us Derby City ? 

i want to see a billionaire owner where money is no object. mercenaries like carlos tevez on £400k a week firing in 40 goals a season in the championship 

in all seriousness i havent always ageeed with Mel’s decisions but respect him putting money in & hope he leaves us in safe hands 

It will make for some very interesting answers (providing the right questions are asked) I agree with you as a lifelong fan and depth of association its unlijely he'll walk away entirely. 

Of course we need significant additional investment and he is once again doing what he thinks is right by the club first with personal gain a very very long way behind that . 

Well done Mel and the chapter hasn't finished yet .

I think mel has become a much better chairman over time.

I prefer the new frugal Mel to the earlier Mel with his penchant for sacking managers; grandiose schemes for the academy; and the proposed architectural follies behind the east stand. I assume that the financial realities of a championship club have tempered his ambitions somewhat, but that the windfall associated with a promotion might once more unleash the genie. Nothing wrong with dreaming but we need a hefty dose of realism. 

He has a lifestyle and an opportunity that we can only dream of. But football clubs with millionaire players now need trillionaires to bankroll the excessive spending. Getting stuck in the championship with Premier League ambitions is probably just about the worst place to be.

Playing Devil's advocate; couldn't you argue that, under Mel's tenure, we've not got promoted, splunked millions on players that our now draining our club of money (Anya in particular), lost ground to Nottingham Forest despite them being run like a circus for the past few years, and have gone from being a club known for giving a manager time (Clough) to a club that could sack you after 9 games... 

Interesting - there has been a guy on one of the Facebook groups saying this for a while and swearing that he's ITK.

I didn't bother posting it here as I guessed it would probably get removed by the Mel Police

Could be that the guy has finally found someone to listen to his rambling (the Daily Mail)?

Or it could be true and Mel has sanctioned this to act like a For Sale card in the Post Office window?

Personally I'm not arsed either way - the source of the money that keeps our club running is no more important to me as the source of the money that pays for my ST is to Morris.

Archived