Sign in to follow this  
Ambitious

Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

I'd be gutted if there is any truth in this, but not surprised. The bloke is Derby through and through and clearly loves the club,but being the sole owner must take it's toll financially and mentally and he must be tempted to say "screw you" when he reads some of the stuff written about him by some fans. 

He should do what Frank Warren does. Warren has sued newspapers, websites and forums. There's not many rumours knocking about mentioning Frank any more. Might have cost him a few quid but it shuts them up.

6 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Maybe that Twitter rumour about Sam Rush and a Chinese consortium wasn't so wild after all 

Mrs Ince better clear her diary

44 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

You don’t half post some nonsense and you do MM a huge disservice insinuating he’d sell to the likes of SISU.

If I was Mel and saw some of the stuff posted, I'd sell to SISU.

5 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

The most sensible comment so far on this thread.

Last March the 2016/17 accounts were published showing a loss during the year of £7.9m

£3m a month is a fantasy figure.

Minus player sales, plus academy fees, plus other excluded figures, then we’re getting close to £30m

Ramet
10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Minus player sales, plus academy fees, plus other excluded figures, then we’re getting close to £30m

Players wages are 36mil a year on there own i can tell you this figure is not far off.but i dont believe he wants to sell but added investment maybe true.we are about to reach the last year of the ffp 3 year cycle and will again be aloud to invest on the playing staff......

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

3 MILLION A MONTH . 36 MILLION A YEAR .  Too lose that we would need no sponsors, no TV money and no gate receipts and still be a few million up on that figure.  Don't know where they get this stuff  from.

6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

The most sensible comment so far on this thread.

Last March the 2016/17 accounts were published showing a loss during the year of £7.9m

£3m a month is a fantasy figure.

The 2017 accounts showed 'net cash spent on operating activities' of £35,409,782. I would not say it is unreasonable or a fantasy to say Mel is having to put  £3m a month in just to run the club. 

3 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

I think it's unfair to characterise those who are critical of Morris in such terms. Sure, he doesn't deserve any vitriol - in the way, say, "The Three Amigos" absolutely did - as every decision he has made seemed as though he genuinely thought it was the right thing to do, but he has certainly made enough poor decisions - and not decisions that were poor in hindsight but seemed poor at the time - to warrant criticism. For all his financial investment, it's very difficult to argue the club are in a better position  than they were when he assumed full control. In fact, it's very easy to argue Derby have gone backwards - at least on the pitch.

Absolutely right. I have never doubted Mel’s commitment to the club but he has undeniably taken us backwards from where we were in 2015. His decision making on managers has been shocking; appointing Pearson, sacking Mac the second time, appointing Rowett etc, all terrible choices. However, he is a Ram and we really do have to be careful what we wish for. My local club, Oxford Utd have new Thai owners and in the space of 18 months have received 3 winding up orders for unpaid bills - scary stuff.

I can see MM saying he would sell the club if they don't get promoted.  I don't however buy that he would add that he was losing 3M a month. That is not a great sales pitch from a successful business man. So I think I smell bull

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

You don’t half post some nonsense and you do MM a huge disservice insinuating he’d sell to the likes of SISU.

More chance of us selling to intu.

14 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I can see MM saying he would sell the club if they don't get promoted.  I don't however buy that he would add that he was losing 3M a month. That is not a great sales pitch from a successful business man. So I think I smell bull

It's there in the accounts for all to see...

Cant blame Mel if he wants to sell. Losing millions for plenty of abuse in return. I would like to think he would keep some involvement at least just to make sure any new owners dont go crazy and ruin us and also dont rely on the fit and proper persons check.

27 minutes ago, Ramet said:

Players wages are 36mil a year on there own i can tell you this figure is not far off.but i dont believe he wants to sell but added investment maybe true.we are about to reach the last year of the ffp 3 year cycle and will again be aloud to invest on the playing staff......

The ffp is a rolling cycle isnt it? So every yesr is the last in a 3 year cycle. We just lose some of our bigger player expenditures this time which might free up some funds.

Couple from my side.

1 - Hugely grateful to Mel for the investment he has put into the club - particularly at a time when we really needed it. But I have never been a fan of his style of ownership, he owns it with his heart rather than his head and has made mistakes that it was easy to see at the time were really bad decisions. But he has also done good and kept us at the top end of the Championship for most of his duration, you can't knock that as an outcome even if we wished it would have been more.

2 - Let's not tarnish ourselves with the view that all foreieng owners are asset stripping baddies in the mould of Bolton, Forest or Blackpool. We can similarly look at Leicester, Man City, Bournemouth, Liverpool, Cardiff and others who - some cultural integration aside - have their clubs in far better places than they were when they came.

3 - Let's not forget that the one thing you don't want is a disengaged owner. Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix will show you what happens when that comes around plus we can sorely recall not only Maxwell and Gadsdy but also where we went when Jeremy got tired of his train set.

4 - Like it or not, pretty much the only business model that works in football now is a bank rolling sugar daddy. It's not nice but the whole system is FUBAR'ed. We can try to be self sufficient but when Qatari oil money is being ploughed in for fun from the other end it's a tough one to fight. A bit like Mason Bennett, being one of our own isn't always enough.

So, in conclusion, I don't particularly want Mel out but I wouldn't see it as a bad thing if he decided to move on. And, to be sure, the chances are that he will not do it at a loss so don't shed too many tears. Just look at the current valuation of Man Utd to see what the Glazers might reap from a potential sale, Morris has done this for the good of Derby County but he will also likely be rewarded for his loyalty.