Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Ambitious

Derby County sale on the cards as owner Mel Morris seeks exit, with sources claiming he is losing around £3million per month

Sources at Derby County claim Mel Morris is losing £3million a month as owner

They believe he will try and find a buyer if Frank Lampard can't seal promotion

Full story https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6770519/Derby-County-sale-cards-owner-Mel-Morris-seeks-exit.html

An interesting if not somewhat unsurprising article. It just goes to show that the coming summer may be a fair bit more difficult than first feared, especially if Mel is looking for a quick exit and guaranteed no/little return on investment. 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's been given a lot of stick in the past. Whether you agree on his sackings or not, he's really tried to get us into the premier league and unfortunately it hasn't happened. Personally i've got a lot of respect for him for that. No matter how rich you are, losing 30m a year is a lot of money. 

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

3 MILLION A MONTH . 36 MILLION A YEAR .  Too lose that we would need no sponsors, no TV money and no gate receipts and still be a few million up on that figure.  Don't know where they get this stuff  from.

The figures will be exaggerated none the less theirs no smoke without fire.

The irony here being that the fans would of course like to know if he was willing to sell the club, although coming out and saying just that would only increase the tension around the club and make matters worse. 

If he wants to DM me the answer, however, I'll keep it secret. 

3 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

He's literally pushed it to the max I can't see any leeway with FFP this summer, and I can't fault him for wanting rid. Let's hope Lampards name can draw some attention. 

If I was Mel I think this is the time I’d be selling, load of contracts wiped out leaves a clean slate, media profile risen by some big names in Cole and Lampard, and a summer rebuild to fund which at that loss rate I can hardly imagine anyone can! Been a great and ambitious owner tho, all the investment off the pitch cannot go unnoticed, don’t get how people can get so worked up, even if he hasn’t always made the bets managerial appointments. As I say though a local businessman trying to run a club of our size on his own is sadly very difficult nowadays, surprised if he doesn’t want to keep some stake though.

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

An interesting if not somewhat unsurprising article. It just goes to show that the coming summer may be a fair bit more difficult than first feared, especially if Mel is looking for a quick exit and guaranteed no/little return on investment. 

The content is all very speculative (“Sources Close to..”) and full of supposition (“...they believe that should Frank Lampard...”). So 2+2=18. 

MM knows what he’s doing. He will know that such speculation is not what the Club needs at this precise moment so I believe he will say something to either refute or otherwise whether this article has any substance. 

I personally would be gutted if there’s any veracity in the Mail’s article. I think we are very lucky to have MM and we all need to show our support to him tomorrow night at PP. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

If I was Mel I think this is the time I’d be selling, load of contracts wiped out leaves a clean slate, media profile risen by some big names in Cole and Lampard, and a summer rebuild to fund which at that loss rate I can hardly imagine anyone can! Been a great and ambitious owner tho, all the investment off the pitch cannot go unnoticed, don’t get how people can get so worked up, even if he hasn’t always made the bets managerial appointments. As I say though a local businessman trying to run a club of our size on his own is sadly very difficult nowadays, surprised if he doesn’t want to keep some stake though.

Agree with this, although it would be interesting to see who comes to the table with an offer. 

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You have to put this in context of the Mail having it in for us for a while. They seemed to be pushing the Sam Rush agenda during the whole employment case. 

40 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think Mel would look at bringing in a partner or investor first because he clearly loves the club.

OTOH, maybe that's unfeasible.

Losses of $36 million per annum seem a tad excessive though.

Let's get up and not have to worry about it!

Well there's a few of the Derby 'faithful' who'll be rubbing their little hands together now, won't there! If Mel has fallen out of love with it all then I'd not be surprised. Whether he's got it right or wrong is almost irrelevant. From a personal standpoint, having ploughed as much time and effort, not to mention millions of his own cash into trying to build something here, only to then be slated for his perceived shortcomings must be a bitter pill to swallow. If we get the wrong owners now, assuming the story is true, we could see the club in freefall. It's happened to bigger clubs than Derby after all. This may well prove to be a case of be careful what you wish for. From my personal standpoint, if these rumours are true, this is desperately saddening news. 

Archived