Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Ambitious

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happens, no one can say he hasn't tried to help the club in a personal and professional way.

What was with that Superbowl stuff over DCFC social media a couple of weeks back? Is it a possibility that people involved with the Rams over there are interested and would this be a good thing? It was all a bit random (I know we share a name of sorts and all this is speculation).

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think you can add Hull and Blackburn to that list - Owners who expected greatness but now refuse to put money in and are actively looking to sell - Bolton maybe too - Have Reading just sold up again? And haven't QPR been on the market for ages? And are Wigan being touted around again too?

I just don't buy into the idea that he wants to sell - He's talked on numerous occasions of wanting to put more of his own money in but not being able to due to FFP

I would imagine we're looking for investors though - trying to think this through logically so anyone with finance background please correct me - If Mel is 100% owner of the club he can't add in money because FFP rules - However if he were able to sell a portion of the club to an investor the money from the sale could be spent on players (one would assume?) - The new investors still wouldn't be able to add any more money in but the initial share-buying money could be I think? 

I genuinely hope you're right. The effort he's put into the Academy & supporting fan ideas suggests a deeper engagement than just recouping money & short term playing success. I also agree that FFP has stopped him putting more money in but I see that as something of a blessing (as I'm not that keen on multiple big name signings)

Could add Ipswich to that list of clubs above (Marcus Evans spent big initially & now wants out). Ultimately the 'spend big' approach has been done to death now, its careful building of a team that will bring us success & a Derby fan as owner is much more likely to deliver that than XYZ Consortium.

p..s not sure on the FFP rules regarding new shareholder investment/injection of share capital myself

6 minutes ago, goldstar said:

What was with that Superbowl stuff over DCFC social media a couple of weeks back? Is it a possibility that people involved with the Rams over there are interested and would this be a good thing? It was all a bit random (I know we share a name of sorts and all this is speculation).

I believe he owns Arsenal

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Ahhh thank you, didn't know that. Always had a soft spot for Arsenal so that would be interesting?

24 minutes ago, Archied said:

On the issue of mel Morris retaining ownership of pride park my overwhelming view is it keeps us very much safer from the Coventry type owners who drained everything and sold the ground

Coventry City have never owned that ground, it was built and run by the local council and a charity before they sold it to Wasps.

14 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Coventry City have never owned that ground, it was built and run by the local council and a charity before they sold it to Wasps.

Did Coventry city not own half share of the stadium with Coventry council? My time lines may be a bit wobbly as it a while ago but I’m sure sisu has had a major impact on Coventry city and it finding itself totally messed up in terms of home , debts and assets 

36 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Hasnt he been bleeding Arsenal to fund the Rams new stadium as well? That being the reason Arsenal havent had much to spend in recent years.

Would rathef not have an owner like that.

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

Did Coventry city not own half share of the stadium with Coventry council? My time lines may be a bit wobbly as it a while ago but I’m sure sisu has had a major impact on Coventry city and it finding itself totally messed up in terms of home , debts and assets 

It was SISU arguing about the rent that turned things sour.

Apparently since then they've upset various people like Wasps etc with stupid lawsuits, to the extent no one will deal with them.

Terrible owners no doubt about it.

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It was SISU arguing about the rent that turned things sour.

Apparently since then they've upset various people like Wasps etc with stupid lawsuits, to the extent no one will deal with them.

Terrible owners no doubt about it.

Just had a bit of a refresh read up on the web 

1 hour ago, goldstar said:

Whatever happens, no one can say he hasn't tried to help the club in a personal and professional way.

There are quite a few Derby fans who follow the LA Rams, I have done since 1984.

But I doubt more than 1 in 10,000 Rams fans have even heard of us.

Kroenke is HATED by Arsenal fans after enforcing an option to buy all shares back when he hit a certain percentage of the club.

He is also hated by the old St Louis Rams fans because he moved the team back to LA and doubled the value of his investment overnight by hitting such a massive TV market.

He owns a bunch of sports teams including the Denver Nuggets (basketball) and Colorado Avalanche (NHL).

He's got the cash as he's worth several billion (he married into it, he didn't make it himself), but he's a businessman and would make business decisions at Derby if in the 1 in a billion chance that ever happened.

What we really need is a businessman who also deeply loves the club.

Now, where could we possibly find such a person?

Oh wait a minute.......that's what we have already.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I don't want to turn this into a witch hunt because, as I said, I've been grateful to Morris for what he has offered (I certainly wouldn't spunk away anywhere near the amount of money he has on a football club - no matter how many times you chant my name).

- Buried in rumour so maybe not all true but his interference in the management, team, selection and (if true) that half time talk against Reading all served to give us the reputation of being unstable.

- The transfer deadline deals for Butterfield and Johnson plus you could argue Camara, Blackman and Olsson. I'm not saying he should be responsible for every signing but the scale of these and the last minute nature of many of them (again, only they know) should have caused more questions to be asked.

- The Sam Rush affair. When you look at the cold facts I find it amazing it was allowed to go on for as long as it did. I'd have thought a seasoned businessman like Morris should have connected the dots a little earlier.

- Trigger finger attitude to managers coupled with some poor hires. Again, hard to challenge in isolation whether Clement, Pearson, Rowett or even Wassall were the right choice at the time but it's hard to also look back and just say we were unlucky.

- The 'Derby Way' thing, it just resonated badly and hung like a millstone for ages.

I am sure anyone could protect any one of these points, or argue that it's all so easy with 20:20 hindsight but you did ask me what I thought were the bad decisions and here they are, not trying to say I could have done any better. Just that they were bad decisions.

That said, the free scarves were a nice touch.

Interesting his appointments, add Frank to that list and the only real experienced / won something manager is Pearson who left I believe for non footballing reasons .Is that more than a coincidence ?

Pearson has took a lot of stick on here but most of his tenure was in the close season so really didn't get a lot of time to turn it round  we may have been further down the line long term if he had stayed around .

I do believe he was a no nonsense type of manager required to sort the club out long term . His Leicester sides played decent football maybe we would have given time .

Not unhappy with Frank but I always  think what if about Pearson.

I see Wolves have reported a loss for 2017/18 of £57m following a loss of £26m the previous year and they have spent £109m in the current season. It’s no wonder Mel wants out if that’s the level of spending required to get out of the Championship and stay half way in the EPL

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Interesting his appointments, add Frank to that list and the only real experienced / won something manager is Pearson who left I believe for non footballing reasons .Is that more than a coincidence ?

Pearson has took a lot of stick on here but most of his tenure was in the close season so really didn't get a lot of time to turn it round  we may have been further down the line long term if he had stayed around .

I do believe he was a no nonsense type of manager required to sort the club out long term . His Leicester sides played decent football maybe we would have given time .

Not unhappy with Frank but I always  think what if about Pearson.

I always think thank duck he left so early and shed  tear that he ever came here in the first place...he was devastating for us in the brief time he was here,bloody awful appointment.

Archived