Sign in to follow this  
Ambitious

Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Should just add that I'm glancing through a PDF version of the accounts on my phone so may be talking rubbish! 

Off to get pissed and watch the Shrovetide football...figured there is probably more chance of me seeing some tactics and maybe even a shot on target there

Will have a proper look tomorrow and update if I have posted any nonsense...which let's be honest wouldnt be much of a surprise to many!

41 minutes ago, David said:

What has Mel announced exactly?

For what it's worth, last week by the Daily Mail again.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6744535/Leeds-sold-fail-win-promotion-Premier-League.html

I think there's a lot of bitterness over the recent TV rights deal, from all different angles.

Mel and the fella from Leeds were at the forefront of arguing against the deal, not impossible that someone well connected enough to plant stories is bearing a grudge.

59 minutes ago, David said:

Obviously we know your thoughts on the ownership, but you must understand why there would be a certain level of anxiety over the article by some fans that are more appreciative of Mel's efforts at the club?

Not as much anxiety as I would have over him pulling the plug but staying in place. In so many things in life you are either in or your are out and if you are in then get in, if you are out then get out*

* cue Finbarr Saunders style reply, I'll leave there for someone to take, as my gift to them...

28 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I think there's a lot of bitterness over the recent TV rights deal, from all different angles.

Mel and the fella from Leeds were at the forefront of arguing against the deal, not impossible that someone well connected enough to plant stories is bearing a grudge.

Possible. I find it really strange  they run a similar story within a week on both owners that as you say were at the forefront of calling for the FL to negotiate a better TV deal.

As with transfer windows, it's always worth taking newspaper stories with a pinch of salt until confirmed by the club, with a fans forum scheduled for the end of the month I'm sure these questions will be asked and any truth would be revealed.

Does not surprise me the club refused to comment when asked, you respond to one rumour, the next one you don't the silence is deafening. Wouldn't entertain the national press as they will always be ready to stick the knife in for a few clicks. 

The timing of the article stinks, night before an important game after the run we have been on. Maximum exposure/drama.

I suspect all they have done to arrive at this figure is to add up Mel's total investment in the club (including one off items like paying off debts/mortgage and moor farm etc) .. then dividing that figure by the number of years he's been here.

I would expect the answers at the fans forum to be vague assurance that they are looking at new investment but will always do what's best for the club.

I really like that they do the fans forums and hope they keep doing them, but I do think fans have to understand there will be things that either can't be answered or it would be totally improper to disclose in a public forum.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Give examples please

We can quote numerous examples of 'new, money-bag owners' coming in and being poor - There are few examples of good ones

Just like there’s few examples of bad ones.

For every Blackpool.... there’s a Leicester City

The club is losing £10m a year on players that will be leaving in the summer and that bar one or two don't need replacing with incomings. ''We'' have spent significant amounts over the last few seasons on upgrading our infrastructure too. The expenditure of the club has peaked. All we have got to do from this point forward is not be ridiculous with our signings. 

There are probably about another 2-3 that could leave this summer too that we only have due to injuries and youth not quite being ready. 

Unless I am missing something, we are in a position to make losses of £3m -£5m every season without factoring in the potential to sell players. Mel may have lost a significant amount in the past, but he would probably lose less over the next 10 years than he did in the space of about 2 years. 

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Just like there’s few examples of bad ones.

For every Blackpool.... there’s a Leicester City

Okay cool - So - One example so far

I reckon we can give you more examples of poor owners than good ones - I reckon just using former Derby owners we can give you examples of more good owners than bad

I do miss Tom Glick though. 

Tom, why has Nigel sold a good player to fund the purchase of 2 ok players again?

Well when FFP takes hold all clubs will struggle and we'll be top of the pile.

So, can we afford a good striker?

Well, we are looking at spending a Barker type fee but you look at Portsmouth and Rangers and that's what can happen when you spend £1,000,000 on a player. 

Where you going Tom?

Man City.  

Someone in comments said this has been on the cards for a while as Mel is seriously ill. I hope that’s not true and someone is just coming up with a sick rumour

1 hour ago, David said:

You are right of course, but with Blackpool, Bolton, Charlton, Notts County and Coventry all in the news at the minute, I think fans have a right to feel slightly nervous about what the future may hold if Mel was to leave which is why many are and will be saying be careful what you wish for.

Don't forget SISU made an attempt to take over Derby so the Coventry one is a little close to home as the Football League are threatening to shut them down if they cannot tell them why they are playing next season.

There seems to be a growing trend in football now where fans get excited over the sale of their club as it could lead to a Sheikh takeover, the next Man City. They were convinced that was happening to those lot down the A52, tea towels bought from Wilko to wrap round their heads, up went the Kuwait flag on the stadium roof then the next day a HMRC winding up order in the post.

Obviously we know your thoughts on the ownership, but you must understand why there would be a certain level of anxiety over the article by some fans that are more appreciative of Mel's efforts at the club?

Last paragraph, think it’s fair to say I mellowed a little bit, mind it is hard to take the spotlight away when you’ve got English football royalty in charge. 

Do find it funny to me however, the same line I was using when Mel first came in 2015 as sole owner is being peddled about again now 🙃

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Turnover £22m

Running costs - £35 Million

Loss - £13m.

We're allowed £39m over three years.

If Mel is some form or another is pumping £13m a year into the club, then I do believe this. I know it gets complicated with players write off values but in a simplistic form, that's roughly where we are.

But as soon as the headline said £3m a month, I didn't even bother reading rubbish like that.

And that loss is almost entirely offset by the players that will leave this summer. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Last paragraph, think it’s fair to say I mellowed a little bit, mind it is hard to take the spotlight away when you’ve got English football royalty in charge. 

Wouldn't call myself royal......oh Frank, gotcha! 😂

Ramet
1 hour ago, ramboy63 said:

Could be worrying times ahead if there is any truth in the rumor that MM as had enough as i cant see us going up this season.

Explains the lack of money spent in January and could explain the massive slump we are in if the players have wind of this,it doesnt take much to upset an apple cart and there are no worse examples of this than professional footballers throwing there toys out the pram

The lack of money spent is all down to FFP and nothing else 

Ramet
13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Someone in comments said this has been on the cards for a while as Mel is seriously ill. I hope that’s not true and someone is just coming up with a sick rumour

I can tell you mel is not seriously ill.

35 minutes ago, David said:

The timing of the article stinks, night before an important game after the run we have been on. Maximum exposure/drama.

Or the perfect time, take the attention off the on field matters and have our fans panic and create threads around something that has probably no truth around it, rather than the continued doom and gloom because we lost a couple of games.