Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Ambitious

12 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Or we could end up with someone who ain’t a criminal? Why do we always bring up examples of worse case scenarios? For every bad chairman/owning group they’ll 10-12 good ones 

Very true pal, we could do with a few investors and keep Mel on 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting balance of reason looks to have come from the Derby Telegraph (shock!):

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sale-derby-county-on-cards-2609128

"I think therefore, to my mind, let's streamline the operation. If we end up in a scenario where someone approaches us with additional investment, I would always look at that but it's fair to say that my passion for the club remains the same."

The only thing we didn't know from the DM article that we didn't know before, was the 'personal matter'. Hate that they've put that in. Now that just fuels speculation.

Wonder if there will be anything come out of the Fans Forum in a couple of weeks time about this?

I have always thought with football ownership, better the devil you know. For every Man City success, there's a number of failures. Bolton are having food and fuel shortages at the training ground. Coventry may be kicked out of the football league if they can't sort out a 'home' ground for next season. Even the successes are dangerous - Wolves were losing c£1m a week last season it seems, what if they hadn't achieved promotion?

I'm not going to pretend Mel is the perfect owner. Heart ruling head. A fair chunk of damage has been done in the visible stuff, but a lot of good work has gone into Derby County in a lot of different areas. 

12 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

A slightly over-sensitive reaction?

I simply meant that I know you walk a tightrope over what does/doesn't get posted (you spoke about it at length on the Derbycountyblog podcast the other day) and I know you want to maintain a good relationship with the club - so I don't blame you for moderating closely on stuff regarding the owner

Is that a "cheap shot"? Really?

I wouldn't say so, you took a swipe at the moderation which I responded to. Your point could have easily been made without the cheap shot, I just wanted to make our position clear so there is no doubt over what we don't want this forum to be used for.

11 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

If your going by the majority of the forum then I’d agree, however that shouldn’t be the baseline against one posters view who may have been concerned around the level of spending or decisions that MM has undertaken.

Hence why I asked which decisions they knew were bad at the time, it's easy enough to the run a few searches on here and get a feel for how many posters were calling it out as a bad decision at the time, and how many are doing it now with the benefit of hindsight. 

I recently had a look back at the thread from when we signed Bradley Johnson, there wasn't too many calling that a bad decisions at the time.

Could be worrying times ahead if there is any truth in the rumor that MM as had enough as i cant see us going up this season.

Explains the lack of money spent in January and could explain the massive slump we are in if the players have wind of this,it doesnt take much to upset an apple cart and there are no worse examples of this than professional footballers throwing there toys out the pram

25 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Or we could end up with someone who ain’t a criminal? Why do we always bring up examples of worse case scenarios? For every bad chairman/owning group they’ll 10-12 good ones 

Give examples please

We can quote numerous examples of 'new, money-bag owners' coming in and being poor - There are few examples of good ones

13 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Not the best time to announce a decision like this if true, but we are talking about Morris, so anything goes

What has Mel announced exactly?

For what it's worth, last week by the Daily Mail again.

Leeds United owner Andrea Radrizzani will have to consider selling the club if they fail to win promotion to the Premier League, Sportsmail understands.

Sources say the Italian is now ‘all in’ on the gamble of securing top-flight football and an estimated £200million windfall.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6744535/Leeds-sold-fail-win-promotion-Premier-League.html

34 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If Uncle Mel was losing £30m a season surely we'd automatically be in breach of FFP? He's only allowed to plug a hole that size over a period of 3 years isn't he?

I appreciate there may be costs he can throw in which wouldn't come into FFP calculations but aren't they mostly things which you wouldn't do if you were trying to sell? Improving training facilities, youth facilities, stuff around the ground etc?

To me it looks like the running costs of the club are circa £30m a year.

In the previous 2 seasons this loss has been plugged by selling players on.

This year money from player sales was re-invested so I would not be at all surprised MM has had to put at least £35m in to balance the books. 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

This year money from player sales was re-invested so I would not be at all surprised MM has had to put at least £35m in to balance the books. 

Turnover £22m

Running costs - £35 Million

Loss - £13m.

We're allowed £39m over three years.

If Mel is some form or another is pumping £13m a year into the club, then I do believe this. I know it gets complicated with players write off values but in a simplistic form, that's roughly where we are.

But as soon as the headline said £3m a month, I didn't even bother reading rubbish like that.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

According to the transfer market site we made a £1m overall profit this season, a £6m profit last season, and about broke even on transfers the season before

So I don't think we're plugging any holes other than selling to buy

Any sensible business person will always do the basics.  Reduce costs, attract investment/growth/sales.

MM is doing exactly what I expect of him, looking to the future, with the best interest of the club at the centre.  Like the idea he would keep ownership of the ground.

All an owner needs to do to be successful is appoint a successful manager. This is achieved almost always by luck rather than judgement. With the exception of Fergusson, and to a lesser extent Wenger, few managers have been consistently successful and when they are eventually replaced it is rarely by another successful one.  

Swansea were the poster boys for the style whereby managers are considered easily replaceable with little disruption and their owners were amazing at one point but now they are clueless. Southampton the same and they are going the same way. Watford are the new poster boys for this but their time will come. 

If Mel leaves soon he will be judged on appointing managers who turned out to be poor but seemed like good choices at the time of appointment. This is a shame considering all the positive work he has done for the club. 

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Turnover £22m

Running costs - £35 Million

Loss - £13m.

We're allowed £39m over three years.

If Mel is some form or another is pumping £13m a year into the club, then I do believe this. I know it gets complicated with players write off values but in a simplistic form, that's roughly where we are.

But as soon as the headline said £3m a month, I didn't even bother reading rubbish like that.

With these figures you are assuming that we are going to be making  £15m profit on players sales every year.

You may think that what the Mail is posting is rubbish but it really isn't.

Our operating loss in 2017 was £24m.

26 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Explains the lack of money spent in January and could explain the massive slump we are in if the players have wind of this,it doesnt take much to upset an apple cart and there are no worse examples of this than professional footballers throwing there toys out the pram

No it doesn’t. 

Archived