Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Ambitious

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Well there's a few of the Derby 'faithful' who'll be rubbing their little hands together now, won't there! If Mel has fallen out of love with it all then I'd not be surprised. Whether he's got it right or wrong is almost irrelevant. From a personal standpoint, having ploughed as much time and effort, not to mention millions of his own cash into trying to build something here, only to then be slated for his perceived shortcomings must be a bitter pill to swallow. If we get the wrong owners now, assuming the story is true, we could see the club in freefall. It's happened to bigger clubs than Derby after all. This may well prove to be a case of be careful what you wish for. From my personal standpoint, if these rumours are true, this is desperately saddening news. 

Twas ever thus.

Sam Longson was hated by many after Cloughie left when it really wasn't his fault.

Maxwell was hated by most because he was an utter tool of biblical proportions.

Pickering was loved and hated.

Morris has been loved and hated.

Personally, I'd be very disappointed to see the guy go because he's Derby through and through.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

3 MILLION A MONTH . 36 MILLION A YEAR .  Too lose that we would need no sponsors, no TV money and no gate receipts and still be a few million up on that figure.  Don't know where they get this stuff  from.

Fake news next buyer Trump

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Agree with this, although it would be interesting to see who comes to the table with an offer. 

Investors from Asia would be my guess, lot of them investing recently. Always a bit sceptical of owners with little ties to the local area, but if they can spare 40 mil or so to bring will Hughes back I’ll be right behind them!

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

3 MILLION A MONTH . 36 MILLION A YEAR .  Too lose that we would need no sponsors, no TV money and no gate receipts and still be a few million up on that figure.  Don't know where they get this stuff  from.

The most sensible comment so far on this thread.

Last March the 2016/17 accounts were published showing a loss during the year of £7.9m

£3m a month is a fantasy figure.

4 hours ago, 86 points said:

Well there's a few of the Derby 'faithful' who'll be rubbing their little hands together now, won't there!

I think it's unfair to characterise those who are critical of Morris in such terms. Sure, he doesn't deserve any vitriol - in the way, say, "The Three Amigos" absolutely did - as every decision he has made seemed as though he genuinely thought it was the right thing to do, but he has certainly made enough poor decisions - and not decisions that were poor in hindsight but seemed poor at the time - to warrant criticism. For all his financial investment, it's very difficult to argue the club are in a better position  than they were when he assumed full control. In fact, it's very easy to argue Derby have gone backwards - at least on the pitch.

A supporters fan forum has been scheduled for the end of the month. Would the club organise this if Mel was planning to sell the club in the summer? I highly doubt it. Think the article is a load of utter drivel. 

I’m not a Mel Morris fan I’ll admit, no point in going over why as I’ve done enough arguing over the matter. It’s possible he let slip his frustrations of the recent results. He may look for extra investment to help the club. To outright sell it? Rubbish. 

I'd be gutted if there is any truth in this, but not surprised. The bloke is Derby through and through and clearly loves the club,but being the sole owner must take it's toll financially and mentally and he must be tempted to say "screw you" when he reads some of the stuff written about him by some fans. 

Sith Happens

Welcome SISu, and welcome back Phil Brown as manager.

The solution to our annual slump, just start as you mean to finish,  in the bottom 3.

He should do what Frank Warren does. Warren has sued newspapers, websites and forums. There's not many rumours knocking about mentioning Frank any more. Might have cost him a few quid but it shuts them up.

5 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Last March the 2016/17 accounts were published showing a loss during the year of £7.9m

Minus player sales, plus academy fees, plus other excluded figures, then we’re getting close to £30m

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Minus player sales, plus academy fees, plus other excluded figures, then we’re getting close to £30m

Players wages are 36mil a year on there own i can tell you this figure is not far off.but i dont believe he wants to sell but added investment maybe true.we are about to reach the last year of the ffp 3 year cycle and will again be aloud to invest on the playing staff......

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

The 2017 accounts showed 'net cash spent on operating activities' of £35,409,782. I would not say it is unreasonable or a fantasy to say Mel is having to put  £3m a month in just to run the club. 

3 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

I think it's unfair to characterise those who are critical of Morris in such terms. Sure, he doesn't deserve any vitriol - in the way, say, "The Three Amigos" absolutely did - as every decision he has made seemed as though he genuinely thought it was the right thing to do, but he has certainly made enough poor decisions - and not decisions that were poor in hindsight but seemed poor at the time - to warrant criticism. For all his financial investment, it's very difficult to argue the club are in a better position  than they were when he assumed full control. In fact, it's very easy to argue Derby have gone backwards - at least on the pitch.

Absolutely right. I have never doubted Mel’s commitment to the club but he has undeniably taken us backwards from where we were in 2015. His decision making on managers has been shocking; appointing Pearson, sacking Mac the second time, appointing Rowett etc, all terrible choices. However, he is a Ram and we really do have to be careful what we wish for. My local club, Oxford Utd have new Thai owners and in the space of 18 months have received 3 winding up orders for unpaid bills - scary stuff.

Archived