Fans Forum @ Nunsfield House in Alvaston 27/3/19

Day
Message added by Day

Colin Gibson hosted Wednesday night's Fans Forum event with Owner and Executive Chairman Mel Morris CBE, manager Frank Lampard and Chief Executive Stephen Pearce. 

Watch the forum in full at https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/watch-the-fans-forum-in-full

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Another thing that i thought was funny/interesting was when asked about the GK situation - Frank had to check with Pearce what the 3rd keepers surname was?!

And also - was it just me that found Mel's closing speech about "happiness = expectation/reality * effort" (or whatever) excuciatingly David Brent?

To be fair he did call him Henrik but could not remember his surname, definitely amusing though given he has been named in the squad a few times!

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Few conflicting posts here but as I heard it:-

From first team wage bill 40% relate to players that have seen no, or very little, first team football. Of that 40%, there are 60% out of contract in the summer. By my calculations, circa 25% wiped off the first team wage bill in the summer.

The remainder of that 40% will be gone in the summer of 19/20.

Only way I can see the 40% being true is if the "no, or very little, first team football" list is something like this:

300 mins or less: Mitchell, Davies, Pearce, Ambrose, Olsson, Cole, Lowe, Ledley, Bird, Thorne, Butterfield, King, Anya, Thomas, Blackman, Martin

Four (Mitchell, Lowe, Bird, Thomas) of those are on very little, and three (Ambrose, Cole and King) were signed in Jan. It's also not including wage contributions from the loaning clubs.

Other players being: Carson, Roos, Bogle, Wisdom, Keogh, Tomori, Forsyth, Malone, Huddlestone, Evans, Johnson, Bryson, Wilson, Mount, Holmes, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Waghorn, Bennett, Nugent, Marriott

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Only way I can see the 40% being true is if the "no, or very little, first team football" list is something like this:

300 mins or less: Mitchell, Davies, Pearce, Ambrose, Olsson, Cole, Lowe, Ledley, Bird, Thorne, Butterfield, King, Anya, Thomas, Blackman, Martin

Four (Mitchell, Lowe, Bird, Thomas) of those are on very little, and three (Ambrose, Cole and King) were signed in Jan. It's also not including wage contributions from the loaning clubs.

Other players being: Carson, Roos, Bogle, Wisdom, Keogh, Tomori, Forsyth, Malone, Huddlestone, Evans, Johnson, Bryson, Wilson, Mount, Holmes, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Waghorn, Bennett, Nugent, Marriott

Finding it difficult to work this out. From your 16, 40% 6.4 players are out of contract. Are those all going to leave us? Tbh I am in departures and can’t work out who the 6 or 7 are

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair he did call him Henrik but could not remember his surname, definitely amusing though given he has been named in the squad a few times!

Yeah - I think in the moment he must have had a lightning quick internal monologue that said "is it better to get it wrong or check what it is?"

I think he made the right choice, as he got away with it thanks to a bit of the jovial Frankie smile and laugh

But either way it's not the best look when you've been praising all the youngsters and preaching about the pathway from youth to first team. I hope young Mr Ravas doesn't take it badly!

1 minute ago, StivePesley said:

...But either way it's not the best look when you've been praising all the youngsters and preaching about the pathway from youth to first team. I hope young Mr Ravas doesn't take it badly!

If it wasn't for the pesky kids blurting it out on here, he'd have got away with it!

_38130351_scooby300.jpg

10 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Finding it difficult to work this out. From your 16, 40% 6.4 players are out of contract. Are those all going to leave us? Tbh I am in departures and can’t work out who the 6 or 7 are

Already left: Ledley

Contract expires this summer: Pearce, Ambrose, Olsson, Cole, Butterfield, King (loan), Blackman,

Contract expires next summer: Davies, Thorne, Anya, Martin

Bryson, Mount (loan), Wilson (loan), Tomori (loan), Nugent, Johnson and Roos fall in to the group who have played but are out of contract this summer.

Huddlestone, Carson, Forsyth, Bennett fall into the group who have played but are out of contract next summer.

Thanks for the reports from everyone that went last night, really appreciate it, as so many fans do and will be for the club holding these events. 

With the fans forums and the supporters charter meetings the club really do their best to be transparent with fans.

What better way to respond to the media reports than a face to face with fans and call it what it is? Love it.

Looking forward to watching later. 

I heard that it wasn’t 40% of the 37 first team players who’s not or hardly played but of the 37 we have a budget of 40% of that total amount tied up in players who have not or have hardly played. 

That changes the numbers a bit when only a handful need to be really top earners to make a massive dent. 

The shocking amount to me was it is the equivalent of £1.25 MILLION per MONTH on sallary we are not using. 

£15 million a year. For a club that reportedly yesterday only makes close to £30 million in total. 

No wonder you can’t sustain that. 

In brutal honesty re Ravas etc, Frank's managerial idol Ancelotti states in his autobiography that it's a bit pointless for a current manager too look to deeply into the academy.

It is very unlikely a manager is going to be at the club longer than 3 years so he has to focus 100% on what he has at his disposal to make his job a success right now.

Real Madrid signed Odegaard at 16. Ancelotti felt this was a PR exercise and wasn't happy when he was forced to involve him in the 1st team squad.

3 minutes ago, England Ram said:

I heard that it wasn’t 40% of the 37 first team players who’s not or hardly played but of the 37 we have a budget of 40% of that total amount tied up in players who have not or have hardly played. 

That changes the numbers a bit when only a handful need to be really top earners to make a massive dent. 

The shocking amount to me was it is the equivalent of £1.25 MILLION per MONTH on sallary we are not using. 

£15 million a year. For a club that reportedly yesterday only makes close to £30 million in total. 

Makes more sense, 40% is paid to players that are sick or not up to it(includes those on loan?). Of those 60% are out of contract in a few weeks and are gone

Just on finances quickly, the gulf between the Championship and Premier League, this says it all. £62m wage bill yet reversed a £22m loss for a £23m profit in just one season. Madness.

28 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

In brutal honesty re Ravas etc, Frank's managerial idol Ancelotti states in his autobiography that it's a bit pointless for a current manager too look to deeply into the academy.

It is very unlikely a manager is going to be at the club longer than 3 years so he has to focus 100% on what he has at his disposal to make his job a success right now.

Real Madrid signed Odegaard at 16. Ancelotti felt this was a PR exercise and wasn't happy when he was forced to involve him in the 1st team squad.

Yet he's selected Bogle, Mitchell-Lawson, Bird, Wilson, Buchanan, Ravas and MacDonald this season (and others that I'm sure I've forgotten).

44 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Good point made, but I think the comparison doesn't work between Ancelotti and Lampard.

From everything we've been told Lampard was brought in to bring sustainability and development. Promotion is always an aim but not the priority.

Compare that to Ancelotti, he's expected to win pretty much everything where ever he is. Frank's means to success lie within the academy, he either has to sell youth players coming through or use them in the team. 

Lot of fuss about a momentary blank by Frank. Has that never happened to any of you when speaking to a room full of people? It has me.

Besides, they probably all call him Henry,or Ravvy in training. It'll be something ending in -y anyway!

1 hour ago, England Ram said:

To quote myself, which seems weird and to follow Mel's line of wages. IF 1.25 million is 40% of our wage budget per month, the total wages per month is then close to 3.125 million. The closest from the horses mouth we have had it.

So, our annual wage bill in the championship is £37.5 million!!! Yesterday Steve Pearson, the finance man, said we make closer to £30 million as a club and Mel has to pay the rest. From the past accounts, looking like we loose close to £7 million a year, that Mel covers in equity loans, there's close to your totals!!

How to change that? Lose that £15 million surplus in players not playing gives you an operating profit of £8 million, even £10 million off that surplus wage bill, to give you another £3 million a year to spend on other peoples wages and you are still operating at a profit. I can see why the focus is on that part of the club moving forward.

1 hour ago, David said:

Thanks for the reports from everyone that went last night, really appreciate it, as so many fans do and will be for the club holding these events. 

With the fans forums and the supporters charter meetings the club really do their best to be transparent with fans.

What better way to respond to the media reports than a face to face with fans and call it what it is? Love it.

Looking forward to watching later. 

Yeah,cheers.

It is appreciated?

Archived