Fans Forum @ Nunsfield House in Alvaston 27/3/19

Day
Message added by Day

Colin Gibson hosted Wednesday night's Fans Forum event with Owner and Executive Chairman Mel Morris CBE, manager Frank Lampard and Chief Executive Stephen Pearce. 

Watch the forum in full at https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/watch-the-fans-forum-in-full

I was slightly shocked by the size of the sausage rolls and was therefore unable to speak or remember anything that was said. 

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Hey @loweman2 I was sat next to @RamNut; was going to say hello at the break...then you left so I missed you. But great to almost meet you and great to speak with @RamNut

Ps. Agree with your assessment; MM is as committed as ever and so too is FL. Loved Frank’s closing comments about our chances to get to the playoffs...when you hear him speak with passion you can’t help but believe we can do this such is his charisma. 

Bloody hell ! So close ! Yet no cigar !

sorry mate to have missed you, I had to get back to see my young lad about something before he went to bed, I thought it was going to kick off at 6.30 so had only got my pass out stamped till 8.30 ! 

4 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Bloody hell ! So close ! Yet no cigar !

sorry mate to have missed you, I had to get back to see my young lad about something before he went to bed, I thought it was going to kick off at 6.30 so had only got my pass out stamped till 8.30 ! 

Good parent. 

3 hours ago, England Ram said:

Question: Any chance of signing loan players in summer?

FL- All 3 love the club and love playing for us but cost will be prohibative possibly even if promoted. Even Tamori who's worth has increased.

Mason Mount caged like a Lion ready to play. Any injuries received they wanted to stay here rather than go to parent clubs.

Q: FFP trap. Old heavy investment, get clear, reinvest, stay tight to FFP, no way out.

MM: Recruitment savvy, going foreward will be younger players with futures & youth.

Half time.

I hope so - what's neeeded.

What Ole is doing at United.

There was also talk of plans for (incoming) loans for next season... Frank stated this as almost always a very late thing to finalise, as parent clubs want to get to see their players after summer, and through pre-season, before deciding whether to hold on to them or loan them out.

After blurting out some figures, Mel crowed about how well he knew his stats... for someone so disinterested!  ;-)

Oh, and apparently Colin offered to buy the club for a fiver, but Mel refused, as it appears Colin didn't have the necessary wherewithal to take the club further.  He clearly won't just sell to the highest bidder.  This all happened before the announcement (from Mel) that each question from the floor would cost a tenner!  ;-)

A total of 17 drink receptacles were knocked over* during the evening's proceedings.  Details re damage, breakages, and lost volume of liquid isn't known.

*All appeared to be accidental, and no known instances of deliberate throwing of said receptacles were recorded.

During his pre-match walkabout, I did hear Mel say to the guy in front of me that he was nervous.  He didn't show it!

7 hours ago, philmycock said:

Rather than feel smug and special because they've attended a special fan's forum, could everyone who attended tonight please get on their feet and sing and support the team on a match day, like Frank has asked?

Who's feeling smug and special? As far as I can see people are just relaying what was said for other fans who would like to know. Obviously this won't apply to you because you think 'fans forums are ********' yet here you are still posting in a thread about one, 2 hours after your declaration of disliking them!

Thanks for all for providing updates, much appreciated.

Sounds like some positive vibes coming out from the club from the on field side, and if the club gets to a situation where this is the main focal point of the forum then I think these types of events could really generate a feel good factor.

Not going to mention the financial side to much as I still believe we have in the past and maybe present  (if I was being cynical) of contributing to the circus and for me those are issues that should be under control by the experts at the club.

I also do appreciate that some will have found this part very informative, and just my view.

Now hoping the focus can be solely on the last 9 games and making them play offs, COYR.

8 hours ago, philmycock said:

Rather than feel smug and special because they've attended a special fan's forum, could everyone who attended tonight please get on their feet and sing and support the team on a match day, like Frank has asked?

87cc817fa4605dc36dab8ade7ae3cc72ba7b4736

dance.gif

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

Thanks for all the updates. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing/highlights when they're available.

After the last couple of weeks of very negative press, it was extremely positive. Colin Gibson started on that theme - saying Derby County had come in for some distasteful publicity and immediately MM smacked the ball out of the ground saying “within the Club we are as close as ever”. And no, there wasn’t a hint of it being stage managed or rehearsed.,so yes if you were at the event it was the sort of feel you had coming away from a game with not just a solid victory against a good side but a classy performance too. I really can’t wait for Saturday. 

46 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

After the last couple of weeks of very negative press, it was extremely positive. Colin Gibson started on that theme - saying Derby County had come in for some distasteful publicity and immediately MM smacked the ball out of the ground saying “within the Club we are as close as ever”. And no, there wasn’t a hint of it being stage managed or rehearsed.,so yes if you were at the event it was the sort of feel you had coming away from a game with not just a solid victory against a good side but a classy performance too. I really can’t wait for Saturday. 

Me neither...nothing like a 1-0 defeat to dampen spirits again!

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

There was also talk of plans for (incoming) loans for next season... Frank stated this as almost always a very late thing to finalise, as parent clubs want to get to see their players after summer, and through pre-season, before deciding whether to hold on to them or loan them out.

After blurting out some figures, Mel crowed about how well he knew his stats... for someone so disinterested!  ?

Oh, and apparently Colin offered to buy the club for a fiver, but Mel refused, as it appears Colin didn't have the necessary wherewithal to take the club further.  He clearly won't just sell to the highest bidder.  This all happened before the announcement (from Mel) that each question from the floor would cost a tenner!  ?

A total of 17 drink receptacles were knocked over* during the evening's proceedings.  Details re damage, breakages, and lost volume of liquid isn't known.

*All appeared to be accidental, and no known instances of deliberate throwing of said receptacles were recorded.

During his pre-match walkabout, I did hear Mel say to the guy in front of me that he was nervous.  He didn't show it!

Spot on Mucker, My bland relaying of the questions missed a lot of the banter and lightheartedness of the evening. I even missed Steven Pearce jibe at Radio Derby that was roundly applauded.

I felt whilst being in their company that there’s no problems within. They appear close colleagues and Mel is as committed as ever. He’s obviously a likeable guy, no fool certainly, and has his finger firmly on the pulse of the club and football generally. I wish I understood why the press feel the need to write negative stuff all the time, same as I don’t get why some fans seem determined to take the dimmest view of everything. 

49 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I agree. For me it wasn't staged at all. Yes, they had to be careful with some answers and you could see a measured approach as they discussed some subjects but they wouldn't be doing their jobs properly if they didn't. But to have the body language they had with the quick responses they had, along with ANY question being asked responded to it was clear that they were there to be as honest as they could.

To have your chairman come out and state as clearly as he did about the type of phone calls he is getting about the club and the manager talking about mistakes, learnings, feelings, players (although he couldn't remember the 4th choice goalkeepers second name but Mel could, and the 5th and 6th) and the future etc was very positive.

You could see the dislike of the situation from all 3 regarding FFP and the answer to the bloke who wants free cup tickets was as genuine as you can get, even though it was not what he wanted to hear.

I for one loved it and I am glad you found it positive as well.

Just a few points that were made as passing comments rather than as answers to questions asked:-

FL thinks the Keogh/Tomori partnership has been fantastic.

Ashley Cole was bought to challenge Malone for a first team position this season. He's not sure if Cole will want to play on next season, that is a decision for him to make. Thinks he has been a real positive influence on the dressing room.

FL realises we have been really consistent and that has been frustrating. 

Said he realises fans will criticise players, he does it himself when he watches Chelsea and England play!

He had Duane Holmes watched for hours and hours. Personally I got the feeling that he realised the rest of his recruitment was hit and miss and maybe a bit rushed (that is my opinion from what he was saying rather than something he actually said).

MM believes that the wage bill reduction in the summer will enable FL to recruit more players that fit the way he wants to play.

FL wants us to play fast, aggressive football, he doesn't want to see the centre backs playing 10 passes between each other. 

9 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Anyone else pick up on the coded George Thorne speech?

"some players might have had an injury and come back but not been able to perform to anywhere near the same level and ended up having to go on loan to League 1"

Another thing that i thought was funny/interesting was when asked about the GK situation - Frank had to check with Pearce what the 3rd keepers surname was?!

And also - was it just me that found Mel's closing speech about "happiness = expectation/reality * effort" (or whatever) excuciatingly David Brent?

Archived