Fans Forum @ Nunsfield House in Alvaston 27/3/19

Day
Message added by Day

Colin Gibson hosted Wednesday night's Fans Forum event with Owner and Executive Chairman Mel Morris CBE, manager Frank Lampard and Chief Executive Stephen Pearce. 

Watch the forum in full at https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/watch-the-fans-forum-in-full

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Yet he's selected Bogle, Mitchell-Lawson, Bird, Wilson, Buchanan, Ravas and MacDonald this season (and others that I'm sure I've forgotten).

Exactly. Because they are all players he thinks can be effective in the near future.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Good point made, but I think the comparison doesn't work between Ancelotti and Lampard.

From everything we've been told Lampard was brought in to bring sustainability and development. Promotion is always an aim but not the priority.

Compare that to Ancelotti, he's expected to win pretty much everything where ever he is. Frank's means to success lie within the academy, he either has to sell youth players coming through or use them in the team. 

Your point is also true. In the statistics of the game though, managers are very unlikely to last longer than 3 years. 

He is right to intensively look at the top end of the academy who can help him in the near future. Much lower/ 4th choice goalkeeper shouldn't be of much interest to him.

I understood (rightly or wrongly) that the 40% referred to by Mel was 40% of the total squad (i.e. number of players) which was costing £1.25m per month.  Ergo, that £1.25m does not necessarily equate to 40% of the wage bill, of course.

(I won't quote previous posts, as it will look like I am accusing someone of being wrong... when I'm not even certain I have it right myself!!  LOL!)

19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I understood (rightly or wrongly) that the 40% referred to by Mel was 40% of the total squad (i.e. number of players) which was costing £1.25m per month.  Ergo, that £1.25m does not necessarily equate to 40% of the wage bill, of course.

(I won't quote previous posts, as it will look like I am accusing someone of being wrong... when I'm not even certain I have it right myself!!  LOL!)

I'm pretty sure that it was 40% of the total first team wage bill. Looking at the figures I don't think that this is unrealistic. 

Total wage bill £34m, 152 employees of which 127 are none playing staff, so let's assume £4m relates to these leaving  £30m for playing staff.

40% of £30m = £12m or £230k per week.

Split between

Thorne, Butterfield, Anya, Martin, Blackman, Wisdom (hardly played), Pearce.

£30k per week average would not be unrealistic I don't think.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm pretty sure that it was 40% of the total first team wage bill. Looking at the figures I don't think that this is unrealistic. 

Total wage bill £34m, 152 employees of which 127 are none playing staff, so let's assume £4m relates to these leaving  £30m for playing staff.

Split between

If you include Wisdom (11 apps and 837 mins) then you include Roos, Evans, Davies, Lowe, Ledley, Cole and King. You aren't far off including Bennett (874 mins) or Forsyth (13 apps)

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If you include Wisdom (11 apps and 837 mins) then you include Roos, Evans, Davies, Lowe, Ledley, Cole and King. You aren't far off including Bennett (874 mins) or Forsyth (13 apps)

Didn't realise Wisdom had played that much so could exclude him but I missed Ledley out of my calculation. Curtis Davies could also be included I guess.

Sith Happens
50 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didn't realise Wisdom had played that much so could exclude him but I missed Ledley out of my calculation. Curtis Davies could also be included I guess.

Don't forget we are still paying ravanelli.

3 more points I've not seen mentioned:-

1 - Season ticket sales up 8% on the same period last season

2 - We are right on the limit of FFP for 18/19, a swing of £100k could take us the wrong side of the line. 

3 - Not sure if it was a dig at Mac, or just showing how hard it is producing stars from the academy; but MM said Mac literally ripped apart the academy and started again with his own players, and that none of them players are here now.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

3 more points I've not seen mentioned:-

1 - Season ticket sales up 8% on the same period last season

2 - We are right on the limit of FFP for 18/19, a swing of £100k could take us the wrong side of the line. 

3 - Not sure if it was a dig at Mac, or just showing how hard it is producing stars from the academy; but MM said Mac literally ripped apart the academy and started again with his own players, and that none of them players are here now.

Ivan Calero, Alban Bunjaku, Alefe Santos and co?

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I guess that is who he was talking about. Like I say, can't remember the context that MM was putting it in so not sure of his point!

I think it was about age. Seems that MM’s strategy was to get a whole new younger generation; he wants that “golden thread” throughout the Club and that was the point he made quite early on about if you aggregate  all the points into one league from across the various age ranges u18, u23, etc) Derby County would be 3rd overall behind Everton and Man City.

MM is evolving a football conveyor belt...this is seriously long-term strategy; “own the region”, “be the Academy of choice” across the Midlands is about re-setting the Club back to the very top and ensuring its sustainable “sine die”. 

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I think it was about age. Seems that MM’s strategy was to get a whole new younger generation; he wants that “golden thread” throughout the Club and that was the point he made quite early on about if you aggregate  all the points into one league from across the various age ranges u18, u23, etc) Derby County would be 3rd overall behind Everton and Man City.

MM is evolving a football conveyor belt...this is seriously long-term strategy; “own the region”, “be the Academy of choice” across the Midlands is about re-setting the Club back to the very top and ensuring its sustainable “sine die”. 

This is where is just starts to sound like soundbytes to me though, wasn't he saying this before appointing 3 managers who couldn't give a monkeys about the academy??

Love the idea and hope he actually sticks to what he says. Not only is it good for fans to watch 'one of their own' progressing but it could also be a key part of making us a sustainable club going forward. 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Split between

Jesus h Christ 

its a scary thought but that could be about right 

No wander he wants to sort out our spending 

thankyou mr rush (yer dhead)

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Jesus h Christ 

its a scary thought but that could be about right 

No wander he wants to sort out our spending 

thankyou mr rush (yer dhead)

Errr. Mel wants to sort out Mels spending, Shirley! He's where the buck stops.

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You really have got it in for Pearce and Lampard haven't you?!

That’s about right tbf, even though SR left before FL was appointed it’s wouldn’t surprise me to see him blamed for some of FLs signings should they go wrong.

That is what you meant I presume ?

Archived