Sack Frank

DCFC27

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

Farke was in charge last year. You could tell when they cam to our place last year they had a style of play which he has recruited for this year and has done well, however Frank hasn't set that foundation with us this year, I don't see a style of play apart from trying to play from the back but then what do we do?  

Norwich also finished 14th with only 3 wins in their last 16 games, including a 5-1 and 4-1 thrashing by Sheffield Wednesday and QPR towards the end of the season. If the Norwich board had listened to fans with knee-jerk reactions such as yourself then Farke would have gone and they'd probably be in a similar rebuilding process again this season.

Lampard clearly has a style of play he wants to implement, anyone with a brain can see that. He is however running into issues with it, mainly being how to adjust his plan for the standard of players we have, how to react to teams that stop us playing out from the back and more recently chance creation in the final third. He's a new manager who has been in his first job for half a season and you're comparing him to Farke who had 8 years of mangerial experience beforehand, who was also given time by the Norwich board despite a significantly worse first season in the Championship; it's hardly a fair comparison.

Lampard isn't actually doing the terrible job that some people on here like to make out either. We're 7th in the table while attempting to shift our playstyle from hoofball (which last year people like you moaned about) to high tempo attacking football, that sort of tactical shift doesn't happen overnight. Yes he's made mistakes but he's a new manager and managers at all levels of experience make mistakes. Yes the past few games have been painful but all teams go through bad runs of form and we'll eventually pull out of it.

I've always been a firm believe in giving a manager three years to achieve a goal unless you have a catastrophically bad season. One season to assess, the next to build and the third to achieve. In modern football this seemingly never happens but aside from an outliers such as Watford, who managed to go up abusing the manager merry-go-round, the evidence is undeniable that giving a manager at least a season yields better results. Sheff Utd, Norwich and Bristol City are shining examples of this, Preston and Birmingham are on the up despite possessing shoestring budgets (the latter being self-imposed), Bournemouth, Fulham, Brighton, Huddersfield all went up in recent seasons while giving their manager time. Yes there are examples such as Cardiff or Leeds, both who are doing well because they hired superb coaches for this level but on the whole time yields better results than constant change.

We of all clubs should know that chopping and changing managers gets you nowhere, and that's why this thread title is just ludicrous.  The games against Utd, Chelsea and Southampton in the cup have massively inflated some of our fans ideas as to how good we actually are this season and they have adjusted the expectations as a result. Pull your expectations back to where they were at the start of the season and take anything above that as a bonus. Next year start expecting more.

For what it’s worth, I don’t really subscribe to the view that Frank is doing remarkably well.  I think he’s doing about the minimum of what most would expect a Derby County manager to do; be around the play offs.  

For one reason or another I was - and still am - prepared to ‘allow’ him to do a bit worse than this in his first season, taking account of the constraints we are under, the squad he inherited and that we probably needed a complete overhaul in how we played to satisfy much of the fan base and (dare I say it) the owner.

Not all of his signings have paid off (yet), we are still finding our way in terms of style (or rather we had it, but seem to have lost it) and he seems a bit down compared to his demeanour at the start of the season.  However, on the up side we have had some glimpses of what might be, there are some kids coming through, there might be scope for more changes in the summer and there is plenty of time to rediscover the spark we had early on.

It is fair to ask whether Frank has what it takes to be a good manager, i just think now is far too early to be drawing conclusions.  If forced to answer that question at the moment, I would say he has done just about enough for me to want to see what comes next with some enthusiasm and not trepidation!

FWIW even though I was a critic of Rowett’s football I never wanted him sacked.  The difference is though that I am still mostly looking forward with some optimism for the future under Lampard.  I had no such expectations under GR.

I reserve the right to change my opinion as time moves on of course!

This is the bit I don't get, if you look at the stats from the Man U game how can we go from that to the awful performances we are seeing now .The team can't be that tired and if they are there is something wrong with the training regime.

Frank needs time but I would like him to explain that away. 

I can't imagine that Frank Lampard and Jody Morris pull Keogh and Tomori together and say they would like them to pass aimlessly to each other.

We don't have an outlet for the long ball so the keeper will look to pass short.

The defence then has a sea of apathy ahead of it and so goes safe.

When Lawrence and Wilson ran at opponents and lost the ball, the crowd booed.

So, no long ball, no mazy runs, no width and no aerial route.

Pretty tough making inroads.

Good luck Frank.

Just now, King Kevin said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=derbys+team+v+Man+u+carabao+cup&oq=derbys+team+v+Man+u+carabao+cup&aqs=chrome..69i57.18385j1j8&sourceid=chr

This is the bit I don't get, just look at the stats how can we go from that to the awful performances we are seeing now .The team can't be that tired and if they are there is something wrong with the training regime.

Because Man United let us play, they didn’t come out and try to take the ball from us, they were in turmoil. Hull did the same, they let us play, we won, Milwall and Red dogs were over TH like a rash hence all our passing has to be safe. If we played United now, different game, one is their mentality has changed and two people know how to get at us, hence why FL is trying different things to solve that problem.

How many managers have Derby had in the same time that my club, Burnley FC have had Sean Dyche in charge(Autumn 2012)?

Maybe the problem is that your Club never gives managers time? 

Lampard is learning on the job. He needs at least until the end of next season to judge him. He’s managing with mainly the same players that have come up short for the past 4-5 years. 

19 minutes ago, LordBeamish said:

How many managers have Derby had in the same time that my club, Burnley FC have had Sean Dyche in charge(Autumn 2012)?

Maybe the problem is that your Club never gives managers time? 

Lampard is learning on the job. He needs at least until the end of next season to judge him. He’s managing with mainly the same players that have come up short for the past 4-5 years. 

Spot On. 

If Burnley had done what many other clubs do Dyche might have been gone ages ago.

They didn't and are doing well as a result of showing patience.

I am fed up to the back teeth of us changing managers, most of the time its been our own fault and with perhaps the exception of Pearson all of them who were sacked as far back as Nigel Clough can consider themselves hard done by.

37 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

This is the bit I don't get, if you look at the stats from the Man U game how can we go from that to the awful performances we are seeing now .The team can't be that tired and if they are there is something wrong with the training regime.

Injuries which resulted in a changed midfield and frontline in about every game since Mounts injury and before. It's no surprise that our CB's have been our most solid players seeing as they've played about every game together.

We're not a settled team at the moment and we play like it. In fact I probably should have added this to my earlier post as a criticism of Frank, the constant changing of the side and moving players all over the place (ie Wilson, Holmes and Waghorn).

23 minutes ago, LordBeamish said:

He’s managing with mainly the same players that have come up short for the past 4-5 years. 

Hardly! Last nights team had Roos Tomori, Cole, Bogle, King, Hudd, Wilson, Waghorn, Josefzoon, Marriott Johnson  Holmes and Bennett.

Must be Keoghs fault again!

Did the Burnley crowd call for Dyche to go at anytime? 

5 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Hardly! Last nights team had Roos Tomori, Cole, Bogle, King, Hudd, Wilson, Waghorn, Josefzoon, Marriott Johnson  Holmes and Bennett.

Probably, all clubs have clueless fans, don’t think we have exclusive rights for that

46 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I can't imagine that Frank Lampard and Jody Morris pull Keogh and Tomori together and say they would like them to pass aimlessly to each other.

We don't have an outlet for the long ball so the keeper will look to pass short.

The defence then has a sea of apathy ahead of it and so goes safe.

When Lawrence and Wilson ran at opponents and lost the ball, the crowd booed.

So, no long ball, no mazy runs, no width and no aerial route.

Pretty tough making inroads.

Good luck Frank.

We are really missing Lawrence at the moment,someone who is direct and commits defenders. It says a lot about our fan base that they can’t wait to get on his back every time something doesn’t come off,no wonder all the players are taking the safe option all the time.

8 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Dyche was under a little bit of pressure towards the end of his first season. He came in in the autumn, when we were scoring for fun ad conceding for fun too. His first job of making us more defensively sound took our attacking edge away. We looked very undynamic towards the end of that season, but he was certainly under no pressure from the Board. He got us promoted in his first full season, and even after we were immediately relegated, again there was no clamour for his head from the fans and evidently the Board were more than satisfied with his approach. 

As for your Team, they’ve made a habit of going to pot after Christmas for half a decade. This mentality will not be eliminated overnight. Give Lampard a chance. 

5 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

If you look at my post carefully you might notice that its main thrust is what happens in the summer. By definition, that is not the 'short termism' that you accuse me of. 

As it goes, my view isn't and never has been short term. I want to see DCFC promoted, but I'm too long in the tooth to put a timescale on it. My argument against Lampard is that we can't lay any foundations for a successful future with him here because he'll either prove to be a poor manager or he'll be a good manager and quickly leave. Lampard is the epitome of a short term appointment.

Going back to loyalty. We are coming to the end of a cycle where we've been financially hemmed in by Mel backing a rookie manager. It was the poor recruitment under Clement that has held us back. I'd argue that it would be ridiculous to start that cycle again by allowing Lampard to bring in maybe a dozen new signings in the summer if isn't good enough to turn around the current problems in the next few games. If he does turn things around, then brilliant - open your cheque book Mel. Yet, if things get worse over then next month, it would be silly to back him in the summer, and if we're not going to back Lampard, better to get rid in late March and let the new manager have a few months to assess the squad.

Do you know FL or you just assuming he would do all the things you say?  You are basing it on gut feeling, nothing more, I’m thankful or hopeful that out club will never be run based upon judging someone without even asking that question.

Would you have hired and backed Eddie Howe, or are you saying let’s only accept sub standard managers with no ambition. 

As for the short term, your words not mine, some bad results and Mel will have to pull the trigger I think you put, unless of course you do know this is the case ?

Archived