Ipswich Town vs Derby County Match Thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

He is but Lampard may well argue that he's working around the entire spine of the team missing...

Carson

Davies

Mount

Marriott

The latter two I could agree with but Davies would not be in my starting 11 personally and on current form I think it'd be very harsh for Roos to lose his place too. Certainly majorly missing Marriott at the moment I'd suggest!

I get Nugent had a bad game but the first hour was rubbish and that wasn't him. We barely created anything. There was no pattern to our attacks. It was pretty much "go solo until you can't possibly solo any more". Our building through the pitch was untidy and often forced. Everyone wanted the killer pass and the killer goal. 

We go through the exact same motions every game now. We are purely grinding. 

Our team has many qualities. The workrate, the belief and even the quality are all there. But the game management is very poor. 

Either we start off thinking there will be a goal for every player (like tonight) or we come under pressure and think we have some blistering counter attack ability that no opponent could possibly defend. We're trying 30 yard defence splitters and formation breaking solo pressing.

Think back to earlier in the season when our attacks were more structured. Much more care and respect taken in possession.

Maybe that's why we have done ok vs United and Chelsea etc? Because we are more supportive and careful with and without the ball?

Even as Leeds or Preston or whoever else were dominating the game we still played like our devastating counters would slice them open. Forcing the ball through gaps that didn't exist. Dropping it behind defenders into a space that they had taken precautions against. Going on solo runs. 

The newest craze is full backs ignoring a wide open crossing opportunity. What for? Well to do a engineer a better crossing opportunity. Every. Single. Time. Never. Learning.

These games are to be expected. However I didn't expect them to be the standard performance. That's what they have become now.

There a real lack of partnerships in front of Keogh and Tomori. Some good players but I don't think they work for each other. They are desperate to win and perform but they take on too much. 

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I just wonder if some of tonights posters would like to nip into the Hull matchday thread and post their thoughts on that game now they have managed to get back online.

Not really, feel free to post there yourself though if this one is bothering you.

Just now, HantsRam said:

Frank surely cant be held accountable for players who have been in form like Holmes and Wilson having absolute stinkers tho?

Are we expecting him to be able to guess how players will play with perfect foresight?

It's been said a 1000 times  but Huddlestone was great on Saturday , and it would have been a different game if we had a player of his quality playing instead of Johnson.

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Helps Lampard’s managerial profile if he does well in the Fa Cup though and alerts bigger teams(Chelsea)about what a “fantastic job” he’s doing. Couldn’t blame him tbh although I’d have done things differently. The league is the bread and butter.

People will think I’m giving him a dig I’m not it’s just Huddlestone should play we didn’t look interested 

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

Well that was absolutely embarrassing.

i mean reading some of the posts on here.

It was a poor game but geez, have a word with yourselves. It’s february and we haven’t lost a game yet. Cheer up you miserable duckers!!

It’s a forum, people are going to post opinions on the match ?

Whilst I agree Hudds should have played, I really don’t think BJ had a bad game at all considering he hadn’t played for an age. He made a much bigger impact than Andy King who for a while I forgot was playing. 

It was clear to me we needed to switch to 442 much earlier than we did. 

9 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Problem is some ‘expect’ us to be challenging for the autos, but we aren’t quite there yet to really kill off games like tonight. We were fine, a decent championship performance away from home truth be told, but we haven’t quite got that extra bit of swagger to get us over the line unfortunately.

Agreed. Not quite their yet...and that's OK:)

I also expect quite a bit from Derby. I expect them to challenge for promotion (playoffs or autos). I expect them to produce exciting football (for debate by fans what is exciting). I expect them to compete. 

I also believe they are attempting to do those things. I can't fathom the idea that the team would not be doing everything in their power to achieve promotion...satisfy fans...be a solid business (for community and team). 

A big issue for me: having six different managers in the past 3 years 8 months. That is such an eyesore from my perspective. I think Lampard has done wonders in spite of that. I think Derby fans have done well in spite of that. I think the team, and the fans deserve some stability (more correctly...probably need the stability) to properly have a go at the championship. I for one, think Derby on the right track; Frank and Co. is an exciting step (and continues to be for this season...not just the next.)

Archived