Ipswich Town vs Derby County Match Thread

RadioactiveWaste

Just now, 86 points said:

LOL, yeah, they also got £16 million for him in 2001 but yeah, all down to Frank.

And we got 2 million for Rowett leaving so all is well :). My originally point was that we shouldn’t really trust anyone to be loyal. At the end of the day it’s still a job and I’d be a hypocrite if I said I wouldn’t do the same thing.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was awful 

was it any worse than the Preston performance ?

in terms of being able to pass the ball both were shocking 

as Iv muted before 

Huddlestone plays we can pass the ball, Huddlestone doesn’t play we can’t 

Compare the hull performance to tonight and Preston ... night and day in terms of ball retention.

Roos - ok

bogle -  extremely varied

Keogh - nervous looking performance  today as he didn’t trust others  

tomori - my man of the match for us 

malone - the only one who actually crosses more than once

johnson - we know he can’t really pass or control the ball and scary stuff when waiting for the ball with his back to the goal and opponent on each shoulder

king - looked very lonely in midfield and was never near the ball

wilson - never looked incisive or had the ball but did look injured

lawrence - scored, great then could have left the field after two mins 

holmes - nothing exciting today

waghorn - hard to work with nothing

subs - nugent - we are better with two up top but missed another sitter 

Bryson -  improves that midfield five fold 

Bennett- with Bryson brought urgency to the pitch

far to many lightweights tonight with little desire to get the job done against a poor Ipswich side where we were just as poor

Wilson and King rated higher than Lawrence according to the DET what a blinkered view that is!! Did Wilson make one pass to a Derby player?! King did absolutely nothing....the negativity towards Lawrence is a disgrace!

Tom’s set pieces were good, he was tracking back and making tackles in the 95th minute and obviously the goal yet he still gets negative comments.....I dispair with our fans some times!

7 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

That was awful 

was it any worse than the Preston performance ?

in terms of being able to pass the ball both were shocking 

as Iv muted before 

Huddlestone plays we can pass the ball, Huddlestone doesn’t play we can’t 

Compare the hull performance to tonight and Preston ... night and day in terms of ball retention.

all true - Preston are a decent side and Ipswich aren’t but tonight neither were we 

3 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Wilson and King rated higher than Lawrence according to the DET what a blinkered view that is!! Did Wilson make one pass to a Derby player?! King did absolutely nothing....the negativity towards Lawrence is a disgrace!

Tom’s set pieces were good, he was tracking back and making tackles in the 95th minute and obviously the goal yet he still gets negative comments.....I dispair with our fans some times!

There were lots of negatives tonight - positive Lawrence scored - positive his set piece delivery was ok - negatives general open play showed little but he was not alone 

It was always going to be an awkward game. We have lost games and generally struggled against teams in a similar position - Bolton, Rotherham, Millwall for example - and so without any context, the actual result was fairly predictable.

It seems we rarely rise to the occasion in games where we are clear favourites, which adds more weight to the idea of our easy run in being a myth.

Is it a coincidence that our best performances have come in games where we were the underdogs?

What’s disappointing is that an early goal should have eased any nerves and should have been our cue to go on and take control of the match.

Instead we picked up a point where most teams in and around us would have picked up 3.

Promotion is still well and truly up for grabs, but I am just not sure we have the edge and ruthlessness to take it.

But maybe next season will be different. I am hoping the summer will give Frank the opportunity to take stock, learn some lessons, build the team further and improve performances.

I certainly don’t think he’s ready for a job higher up the ladder and he would be ill-advised to take one.

30 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Criticising? No. Just asking that he try’s to be more vocal and try and bring players up to the effort level he and some others are showing? As I said he did well tonight.

How do you know he's not? It's always an odd thing to call him out for unless you're playing in his back line IMO, can we really tell if he is or isn't doing it enough? Was it not Bogle's piece on the beeb the other day praising Keogh for always talking him through games? I know you're not digging him out but just seems an odd criticism. 

On the topic of Keogh - he's in a good run of form recently. Heroic at PNE, good at the weekend and another solid performance tonight where he was pretty busy to say the least. I know it's no fun when we're not pulling his defending to pieces but definitely worth highlighting how good he is at the minute. 

If you change a winning team, you must ensure that the performance justifies it.

Bench your most influential player, you must ensure his replacement puts in a fantastic performance. 

Afraid FL got it dreadfully wrong tonight. 

Why we are worrying about how a team miles adrift at the bottom is going to play against us baffles me. Just concentrate on our own game!

A couple of weeks ago against Reading I lambasted Huddlestone for taking a freekick in our opponent's half that led immediately to an opposition goal through sheer crass stupidity. There is never any need to put yourselves under major pressure with a freekick when in that position. Watching King and Bogle they did the same thing tonight. Much more King's fault and, like Huddlestone, he's very experienced and should know so much better.

I really despair. If you can't do the simple basics of football right you're never going to get automatic promotion. The equation is now down to 12 wins plus draws from 15 games. At least it looks as if we'll soon be put out of our misery and can focus solely on the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It was always going to be an awkward game. We have lost games and generally struggled against teams in a similar position - Bolton, Rotherham, Millwall for example - and so without any context, the actual result was fairly predictable.

It seems we rarely rise to the occasion in games where we are clear favourites, which adds more weight to the idea of our easy run in being a myth.

Is it a coincidence that our best performances have come in games where we were the underdogs?

What’s disappointing is that an early goal should have eased any nerves and should have been our cue to go on and take control of the match.

Instead we picked up a point where most teams in and around us would have picked up 3.

Promotion is still well and truly up for grabs, but I am just not sure we have the edge and ruthlessness to take it.

But maybe next season will be different. I am hoping the summer will give Frank the opportunity to take stock, learn some lessons, build the team further and improve performances.

I certainly don’t think he’s ready for a job higher up the ladder and he would be ill-advised to take one.

The result was fairly predictable?

Not one person got it right tonight!

Just ask Mozza.

Really annoyed at that tonight. Wasn't happy with the line up.

Johnson and King have barely played any football and they start together.

Why Johnson is starting over Huddlestone and Evans is beyond me.

Bringing Nugent on for Wilson was a strange sub.

Never understand why you change our winning team.

No chance of top 2 now. Had to win that and 7 points behind with a game in hand off 2nd. We have a chance then.

Since Norwich away we have played awful away from home.

Play like that at Forest and Villa and we'll get battered.

Gonna stick my neck out, I think Lampard got the starting line up mostly right. Where I think he got it wrong was maybe not having the conviction of his substitutes a bit earlier. Thought we looked much more in control once we went 4-4-2 and took Holmes and Wilson off (Holmes was getting little joy despite working and Wilson is going through a poor patch). Maybe there’s a small lesson in acting before reacting.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Good question: 
With Huddlestone starting or playing 40+ minutes in a game, we have: 9 wins, 5 draws and 5 losses in 19 games. 
With Huddlestone not playing or playing less than 40 minutes, we have: 8 wins, 4 losses and 7 draws in 19 games. 

If you isolate just the league games: with TH: 8 wins, 4 losses and 4 draws in 16 games. Without TH: 6 wins, 4 losses and 5 draws. We have only won 2 of our last 9 league games where Huddlestone didn't play a key role though. I think that has shown just how important he has become in the past few months.

I think that stems from the fact that earlier in the season the team had more composure as a whole. Now we just seem to blind panic and try to force things, which is why the leagues most composed midfielder in Huddlestone becomes vital, to calm things down and look to actually open teams up methodically, not just with launched balls and pace.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Hope you’re right. After Rowett though, we shouldn’t take anything for granted. Lampard sold out his boyhood club West Ham and then left Chelsea for Man City. 

At West Ham he was absolutely hammered by the fans due to suspicions of nepotism*. Harry Redknapp was once even collared by the board for it, them claiming Frank was only playing because Uncle ‘Arry wanted Little Frank to get his appearance bonus. 

Chelsea released him, as they did Cole.

*Not proof, but some evidence: 

I actually don’t think tonight was ‘sloppy’, per say. I think we produced the beginnings of some really nice moves today that ended prematurely because of no link between the midfield and the front three.

We sucked them in fairly well but Wilson didn’t link well enough and none of our midfielders could make the final transition. Playing him at #10 is alright but only if your aim is to have him not doing anything but finding pockets of space and shooting, like Vydra.

Lil Duane carries the ball through the thirds well when played centrally and Huddlestone switches the play often making the transition from midfield to attack easier… but even with those pair we’re still crying out for a new Hughesy.

52 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

A couple of weeks ago against Reading I lambasted Huddlestone for taking a freekick in our opponent's half that led immediately to an opposition goal through sheer crass stupidity. There is never any need to put yourselves under major pressure with a freekick when in that position. Watching King and Bogle they did the same thing tonight. Much more King's fault and, like Huddlestone, he's very experienced and should know so much better.

I really despair. If you can't do the simple basics of football right you're never going to get automatic promotion. The equation is now down to 12 wins plus draws from 15 games. At least it looks as if we'll soon be put out of our misery and can focus solely on the playoffs.

I'm really not sure what our obsession is with playing and free kick within 80 yards of our goal backwards!

It's literally the only thought in our players mind when we get a free kick, counted at least 6 or 7 even after their goal.

Archived