19/20 Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

Nuwtfly

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Here's what we should be looking to bringing in over the next 16 days, in my opinion...

Goalkeeper:

Centre half: (to replace Tomori)

Defensive midfielder: (to replace Johnson)

Right-Winger: (to replace Wilson)

Bonus: Another central midfielder who can act as a link-up man with the centre-forward (Ramselaar would be an ideal candidate).

Keeper: Someone decent 

Centre Half: Jake Clarke-Slater (if we can't have the CB we want lets have this chap) 

Defensive Midfielder: Bielik

Winger: Jamal Lowe at Pompey, Ben Marshall at Norwich, Mark Duffy at Sheff Utd- told he isn't needed

Bonus: Ramselaar - great name. Just get it done 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Keeper: Someone decent 

Centre Half: Jake Clarke-Slater (if we can't have the CB we want lets have this chap) 

Defensive Midfielder: Bielik

Winger: Jamal Lowe at Pompey, Ben Marshall at Norwich, Mark Duffy at Sheff Utd- told he isn't needed

Bonus: Ramselaar - great name. Just get it done 

How many of those are better than what we’ve already got?

We’ve been crying out for a DM that can control the game since Thorne got crocked. It’s the main priority for me, even before a new CB.

A player of (it pains me to say it) Kalvin Phillips ilk would massively relieve the pressure on Holmes, Dowell and any young players we choose to bring through (Sibley, Knight, Bird) when they need cover for a mistake - which will happen often enough. The sort of player that does the work that makes everyone else look good

Equally, a new DM in a 4-2-3-1 with Huddlestone would cover him when he inevitably gets caught out for pace and allow him to focus on those pinpoint passes!

10 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

We’ve been crying out for a DM that can control the game since Thorne got crocked. It’s the main priority for me, even before a new CB.

A player of (it pains me to say it) Kalvin Phillips ilk would massively relieve the pressure on Holmes, Dowell and any young players we choose to bring through (Sibley, Knight, Bird) when they need cover for a mistake - which will happen often enough. The sort of player that does the work that makes everyone else look good

Equally, a new DM in a 4-2-3-1 with Huddlestone would cover him when he inevitably gets caught out for pace and allow him to focus on those pinpoint passes!

Isn’t the second one shinnie?

Goalkeeper - a priority, Carson will be off go millwall and we need someone as another option for Roos, Walton would’ve been good but I’m sure they have their eyes on someone. 

CB - gutted tomori won’t be coming back but Clarke-Salter would be good. Less important than a GK, Evans has looked good there and Davies is fit again.

CM - Holmes and dowell will start in a 4-3-3, would like a permanent signing in this position and ramselaar does excite me. Sibley/Knight/Bird will get minutes here too. 

Winger - Bennett Lawrence and FloJo but I think a loan would complement them well. Piazon, diangana, chong, diabate, Woodburn are a few loan suggestions. 

12 hours ago, SouthernRam said:

Or we could play 442 and have midfielders who can play in the whole of midfield 

Can someone please explain to me how tomori or Clarke salter is a good option? Not that they aren't good players, if not better than who we will sign permanently but... 

We currently have 2 cbs the wrong side of 30 and a midfielder come cb. 

At most we have 2 potentials in the next year or so for the first team at cb (Buchanan and hunt). 

I just don't see or understand how if there is a need in the short term and a need in the long term (realistically this could be Davies' last season at this level if injuries take their toll) it is a good idea to be looking at loans. We need to bring in someone as a permanent signing either marquee (like Gibson I suggested) or lower league (like a Holmes at cb) to build the defence around who we see supporting the youngsters coming through long term. 

I think, loan Buchanon this season (hopefully league 1). This season it should be Keogh, new, Evans, Davies (hunt as a last resort but mainly 23s). 

Next season we would then have Keogh, Evans, Buchanon and New. 

Phasing to the following season if people wish to persist with Keogh that by the end of the 3rd season he will then be of an age he must be let go. 

23 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Can someone please explain to me how tomori or Clarke salter is a good option? Not that they aren't good players, if not better than who we will sign permanently but... 

At most we have 2 potentials in the next year or so for the first team at cb (Buchanan and hunt). 

I just don't see or understand how if there is a need in the short term and a need in the long term (realistically this could be Davies' last season at this level if injuries take their toll) it is a good idea to be looking at loans. We need to bring in someone as a permanent signing either marquee (like Gibson I suggested) or lower league (like a Holmes at cb) to build the defence around who we see supporting the youngsters coming through long term. 

I think, loan Buchanon this season (hopefully league 1). This season it should be Keogh, new, Evans, Davies (hunt as a last resort but mainly 23s). 

Phasing to the following season if people wish to persist with Keogh that by the end of the 3rd season he will then be of an age he must be let go. 

Davies - 34
Keogh - 32
Evans - 24
Buchanan - 18

RCB - Keogh will keep his starting spot for another season - he's built of the good stuff which means he can be relied upon to play at least 40 games a season. We don't want to be spending big money on a replacement for Keogh and then leave him on the bench, and no-one will be willing to loan us a player to not play.

LCB - A loan for the season will offer Evans time to adapt fully to the CB role, and result in us having more reliable backup than Davies (who tends to suffer from long term injuries rather than just niggles). It also gives the likes of Buchanan more time to be ready for the first team. A permanent signing is likely to block the pathway for youths, but I suppose it depends how many years we think it'll take the youths to be ready.

1 hour ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

In summary I really don't think we are in the position to go and splash out at this stage on a marquee signing. Our recent track record of loans has been good which I imagine is why the management are looking to that market again. 

I have no problem with loans as long as they come with the attitude the last three had. The ideal scenario is the loans help us get to our end goal (promotion) which we were one game off last season. Following that had we gone up I think it would have been more than likely we would have looked to sign Wilson, Mount and Tomori all again either permanently or another loan again this time in the Promised Land. 

If we can have similar success through Dowell and whoever else comes in then we will all be happy campers. 

For the record Ben Gibson is a great shout.

Ahhhhhhhhh balls to the whole thing - I've got so impatient with this summer because ever since the stadium profit I've been thinking "just imagine the players we'll sign" - And now I've given up

Gareth Bale and that'll do - We'll just make the best of every other position

Hector from Chelsea would be a good replacement for Tomori. I thought Shinnie was Johnson's replacement. Ramselaar could replace Bryson leaving us needing a winger and in my view a striker as we are short of goalscorers if Marriott or Waghorn are injured.

23 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Hector from Chelsea would be a good replacement for Tomori. I thought Shinnie was Johnson's replacement. Ramselaar could replace Bryson leaving us needing a winger and in my view a striker as we are short of goalscorers if Marriott or Waghorn are injured.

I don’t think it’s reasonable for us to expect to have 3 strikers of that quality in our squad. I think 2 and you hope you’re not unlucky enough to end up with both injured long term. 

2 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

I totally agree that if there’s one position we need to buy for on a permanent it would be Centre back.

With Davies entering his twilight years and getting over his lengthy injury and Evans being a makeshift, albeit a good one, a proper centre back is a must. 

9 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

Getting a bit cheesed off now, seeing that Jake Clarke Salter sign for blues on loan ! 

He might not be very good for them though!

we have Keogh and Davies two of the best centre half’s in the championship - we need cover - but I would like Wilson back 

12 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

Getting a bit cheesed off now, seeing that Jake Clarke Salter sign for blues on loan ! 

I'm surprised. I genuinely thought he would be the one we would get, considering Tomori is all but written off. I could imagine him going to the likes of WBA, Bristol City, Huddersfield, Cardiff... Birmingham don't even have a proper manager? 

I have no idea how good Clarke Salter is, because the only time I've seen him play he looked pretty bad but so did Tomori. I just assumed this would have been a decent fit. 

It remains to be seen if we even sign anyone from Chelsea, although at this point it's looking increasingly unlikely. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm surprised. I genuinely thought he would be the one we would get, considering Tomori is all but written off. I could imagine him going to the likes of WBA, Bristol City, Huddersfield, Cardiff... Birmingham don't even have a proper manager? 

I have no idea how good Clarke Salter is, because the only time I've seen him play he looked pretty bad but so did Tomori. I just assumed this would have been a decent fit. 

It remains to be seen if we even sign anyone from Chelsea, although at this point it's looking increasingly unlikely. 

Chelsea have been in Japan the last week so it was unlikely as soon as they went that we would sign anyone whilst they were away.

The same is true of many clubs at the minute.

Arsenal are still in the states 

Chelsea on way back from Japan 

Everton - back from Switzerland yesterday 

Liverpool - USA

Man City - Asia tour

Man Utd - China

Southampton - on way back from China

Spurs - Asia tour

West Ham - on way back from China

Wolves - just returned from Asia

If you consider that in order to improve us we are going to loan a player who is on the fringes of the first team and will most likely be on the pre season tour then it's no surprise that we haven't pulled anyone in yet. Most of these teams return for or at the weekend so I would expect to see movement later this week or early next.

I'd love to see

Chong - Man United

J Willock - Arsenal

Archived