19/20 Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

Nuwtfly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Derby_County_F.C._season

Based on the telegraph articles trying to calm the lack of transfers I thought I would take a look when we do fall behind, assuming you ignore Eyoma and Ebosele as reserve/academy players.

We are currently on 2 signings as things stand (1 permanent and 1 loan)

As of yesterday last year we were on 2 also (Mount and Wilson both on loan)

The next transfers last year were Zoon (20/7), Marriott (26/7) and Evans (31/7) and then Tomori (6/8) the remainder came in on deadline day (8/8- Malone, Waghorn and Holmes).

I am not sure we need as many players (I believe 1 is crucial (cb) and then a few further could improve the team (gk, a 2nd cb, cm). I have seen suggestion of wingers etc but I am less bothered about that as I don't have a necessity of playing out and out wingers in the modern game and would quite like to see some of the academy players used in this position.

This is all also assuming we have no players sold who people are currently assuming will be part of the team, they would need replacing e.g. Bogle

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think he’s absolutely fabulous 

Thief!

As for the suggestion, the post I quoted was by @Leicester Ram saying he put in one of the worst goalkeeping performances by a Championship keeper someone had seen in years, and it really was bad, so I can't say I'm particularly on board with the suggestion!

Current bodycount since the end of last season is 17 

Gone back: Mount, Wilson, Tomori, King 

Sold: Johnson, Thomas, Delap

Released: Bryson, Blackman, Nugent,, Elsnik, Pearce, Ollson, Cole, Ambrose, Eyoma, Karic, Rashid.   

Could easily be 20 wages off the books plus the compensation money before the end of the transfer window (Butterfield, Wisdom, a left back, Carson ?) plus our annual compensation income and the stadium sale.  

Despite FFP there has to be financial room for some significant signings...

1 hour ago, singaporeram said:

Released: Bryson, Blackman, Nugent,, Elsnik, Pearce, Ollson, Cole, Ambrose, Eyoma, Karic, Rashid.   

Could easily be 20 wages off the books plus the compensation money before the end of the transfer window (Butterfield, Wisdom, a left back, Carson ?) plus our annual compensation income and the stadium sale.  

It also wouldn't suprise me if permanent 'big' signings are being held off until we know what talent we get from Chelsea, or other teams.

No point spending 6 million on a CB if we get Tomori for another year.

The problem is we aren't dealing with true financial dealings (do we have the money) we are dealing in budgetary accounting flexibility against the FFP limits. Johnson, Blackman and Butterfield is at best a 11.5 Million disposal of asset hit this year. We may be relatively ok this season from a cash accounting perspective (but we wouldn't have been in previous years) but that isn't the critical factor at the moment.

I would expect 1 maybe 2 more loans to fill that gap from last seasons budget. Maybe one decent value signing (Walton esque but I would hope not another goalkeeper). More (the equivalent of full reinvestment) if we sell players such as Bogle.

Maybe a couple of frees or signings from lower divisions or abroad on the cheap like Holmes worked well for us last year at best without a big sale.

23 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It also wouldn't suprise me if permanent 'big' signings are being held off until we know what talent we get from Chelsea, or other teams.

No point spending 6 million on a CB if we get Tomori for another year.

This is exactly my thoughts.

See what gaps we can fill with loan signings. Then spend where required. 

And the Wembley money.

2 hours ago, singaporeram said:

Bit out of touch lately with all the comings and goings...............................Are we still paying Fabrizio Ravanellis wages?

On 13/07/2019 at 12:40, David said:

The eight returning to Cobham from Ireland include Lewis Baker, Izzy Brown and Lucas Piazon, as well as Trevoh Chalobah, Dujon Sterling, Ike Ugbo, Conor Gallagher and Marc Guehi.

Surely Baker, Brown and Piazon will be moved on shortly (Palmer likewise). They aren't getting any younger and apart from purple patches haven't realistically  shown they are Premier, let alone Chelsea, standard.

Chalobah, Sterling and the rest are still definite prospects. I wouldn't say they were as nailed on to have top flight careers as players like Ampadu and James, but I would expect they will be contracted at Chelsea for the foreseeable future.

If we deem any of batch one to be suitable, presumably with possibility to develop further, then fine. I don't see as they would be worse than Lawrence et al, and would probably leave us better off.  

No doubt batch 2 are not the finished article but may offer cover and competition.

3 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

And the Wembley money.

Maybe this is the exact reason why the club are keeping such a low profile on new signings - fed up of being legged over in the days it was known we were brimful of cash and getting taken to the cleaners because of it. It’s not the best buying strategy to let it be known you are happy to spend big.

I think you are right though luke. I would be surprised if the club didn’t have some cash up their sleeve . But it wouldn’t surprise me if the plan is to give Cocu plenty of time to assess the requirements and then strike in or around deadline day when sellers are up against it. 

7 hours ago, singaporeram said:

Not sure about that.....we would have made a £25m loss in the last accounts had it not been for the £40m rabbitt which we pulled out the hat.....on top of that the deferred costs of previous signings are increasing each year......and......although we should now have reduced wages significantly, the transfer market has also gone ever so slightly mad. 

34 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Not sure about that.....we would have made a £25m loss in the last accounts had it not been for the £40m rabbitt which we pulled out the hat.....on top of that the deferred costs of previous signings are increasing each year......and......although we should now have reduced wages significantly, the transfer market has also gone ever so slightly mad. 

Yeah I think we would have bust FFP next march if we hadn't sold the stadium and the fact we had to give blackman and butts new contracts doesn't scream to me that we are miles from busting even with the stadium sale 

I know the club want to push the boundaries so we can compete financially but does squeezing a few extra million to spend on transfers really make a big difference on the quality of the team? Maybe so (??) but is it worth risking a huge penalty like Birmingham received 

I might regret saying this when we're losing 3-1 away at Wigan in January but I'd happily have a quiet couple of transfer windows, keep reducing the wage bill to a sensible percentage of revenue (sub 100% would be a start) and see what happens if you genuinely try some of the academy boys and not claim max bird is in the first team after one start in the league 

Archived