19/20 Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

Nuwtfly

On 24/07/2019 at 15:01, Sparkle said:

I will stick with my viewpoint that the term gotten is not a real word 

And you'd be wrong mate.

Language is constantly evolving. I lost an argument with my missus recently because she used the word 'literally' to mean something that almost always happens.

I said that isn't what literally means - and that for her to say 'you literally never empty the dishwasher' it would mean it never happens.

Apparently literally now means 'rarely' and I had to grovel.

Gotten is a US term, but then again America has stayed far truer to 'real' English than we have.

I'd steer clear of linguistics if I were you because you're by no means the winningest person at it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

And you'd be wrong mate.

Language is constantly evolving. I lost an argument with my missus recently because she used the word 'literally' to mean something that almost always happens.

I said that isn't what literally means - and that for her to say 'you literally never empty the dishwasher' it would mean it never happens.

Gotten is a US term, but then again America has stayed far truer to 'real' English than we have.

I'd steer clear of linguistics if I were you because you're by no means the winningest person at it.

its a trap GIF by Star Wars

Comment from nixon saying we're 'in the queue for loans, not much else' 

Points to the idea that after last season the reputation on sending players to Derby on loan has left with lampard. 

Worrying no permanents as there's some gaps gk, cb etc that aren't just short term issues. 

What worries me is through pre season very few of the youngsters look properly embedded in the way Hughes, hendrick, bogle etc did in their break through seasons. 

With all that in mind facts are we are going into the season a far weaker team than we ended last with. 

1 minute ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Points to the idea that after last season the reputation on sending players to Derby on loan has left with lampard. 

Worrying no permanents as there's some gaps gk, cb etc that aren't just short term issues. 

What worries me is through pre season very few of the youngsters look properly embedded in the way Hughes, hendrick, bogle etc did in their break through seasons. 

With all that in mind facts are we are going into the season a far weaker team than we ended last with. 

I agree , squad depth as a whole this year is lacking , you could argue we don't have a top championship goaly this year now Carson is past it and roos doesn't fill me with confidence , we have ageing players as centre backs , midfield is still weak for me too

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I agree , squad depth as a whole this year is lacking , you could argue we don't have a top championship goaly this year now Carson is past it and roos doesn't fill me with confidence , we have ageing players as centre backs , midfield is still weak for me too

Depth im less concerned with, the youngsters have been embedded as squad players last year and through pre season. So we have more numbers of capable players than you'd think. 

I am more concerned with the starting line up. Ignoring shinnie/Johnson as a direct swap. First team has lost: mount (dowell), Wilson and tomori. 

It was only just good enough to scrape into the playoffs and even the most optimistic fan wouldn't have given us the best chance of beating villa. 

There were obvious weaknesses last year: 

CB dealing with crosses

A physical and mobile midfield battler

Another cover or extra creativity for when mount was out of the side (the poor run that coincided with that) 

A definite first choice gk

Some actual penetration from wide areas with more consistency than Lawrence

How many of those have been dealt with? 

Just feels to me as if the club have wrote off this season and are not bothered about paying another penny to a new player, Loan or Perm.

Feels like were going to start the season with Shinnie and Dowell as our only new boys. Concerning times.....

4 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Not really. If anything, it points towards preferential treatment towards Lampard from Chelsea last season.

Roos will be our #1 - His performances in pre-season (especially Rangers) only highlights that. Without selling/loaning/doing an Anya, the only gap is at DM as I cant see just Huddlestone and Bird playing the 48+ games throughout the season by themselves. The 27 apps from Hudd last season seemed to be too much for him and Bird shouldn't be expected to play in the 25-30 required.

The club seems to have learnt from past mistakes - bloating the squad with squad players because the new manager didn't like the squad players already at the club.

Those three were thrown into the deep end to play full seasons straight away (with the odd few minutes the season before). We're only expecting the current crop to start off as squad players, so it's unreasonable to expect the same level of ability from them. Despite that, I believe Sibley and Knight are at least on par with where Hendrick was in his development at the start of his breakthrough season.

Far weaker? I agree at RW, and to a lesser extent CM. We're slightly weaker at CB and DM, but just as strong elsewhere.

From those who made a considerable contribution last year, we've lost Nugent, Bryson, Mount, Tomori, Johnson, Wilson. Martin's returned to replace Nugent, Shinnie is a slight upgrade on Bryson, Dowell is a bit of a downgrade on Mount, Evans is a slight downgrade on Tomori. Johnson and Wilson the only ones to directly replace.

This is also excluding the natural improvement of our 'young' players such as Roos, Holmes, Bennett and Bogle

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Roos outperformed Carson last season. He's now more experienced and should perform even better

16 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

And you'd be wrong mate.

Gotten is the past participle of 'to get' but must be used with its companion word eg have, had or has. i.e. had gotten etc

1 hour ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Depth im less concerned with, the youngsters have been embedded as squad players last year and through pre season. So we have more numbers of capable players than you'd think. 

Good point. Most of the 'youths' (in italics) are currently 3rd choice rather than 2nd*.

GK: Roos, Carson, Mitchell
RB: Bogle, Wisdom, Bateman
CB: Keogh, Davies, Youth
CB: Evans, Buchanan, Youth
LB: Malone, Lowe, Forsyth, MacDonald
DM: Huddlestone, Thorne, Bird
CM: Holmes, Dowell, Sibley
CM: Shinnie, Knight, Youth
RW: Bennett, Jozefzoon, Whittaker
LW: Lawrence, Anya, McAllister
CF: Waghorn, Marriott, Martin

CB, and CM being the only positions a youth is currently 2nd choice. CB being a position where Davies would be 2nd choice on the right and left, pushing Buchanan back to 3rd choice left CB.

*based on who is still at the club (minus Butterfield who looks set to leave)

On 24/07/2019 at 18:57, Sparkle said:

I am no word police but please use actual words - gotten- is just not a word 

From the Cambridge English dictionary, no less:

gotten

us UK  /ˈɡɒt.ən/ US  /ˈɡɑː.t̬ən/

past participle of get 

Eg. They were so pleased that they'd finally gotten to visit (= succeeded in visiting) England.

1 hour ago, Reverend said:

What about Ben Woodburn on loan from Liverpool. BBC reckons he might go to Oxford. From what I've seen he's better than that. Wilson replacement? Would be a good signing for us I think.

Sheff Utd thought the same last season and then couldn't bin him off quickly enough hen he was on loan with them. Think there may be a bad attitude issue in there somewhere (rumoured in Sheffield) but he did get an injury so I may be doing him a disservice.

Not really kept track of this thread and it's a monster now so anyone know anything about whether Reece James might be free. My lad knows some of the Chelsea youth lads and he reckons definitely not but there are whispers we might be getting one or even two others. Struggling to think who though as Clarke-Salter and Chalobah seemingly bound for elsewhere.

Have asked the lad to try and find out and will post if he does. I'm still hoping Fikayo might be one but recent reports not hugely encouraging ?

12 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not really kept track of this thread and it's a monster now so anyone know anything about whether Reece James might be free. My lad knows some of the Chelsea youth lads and he reckons definitely not but there are whispers we might be getting one or even two others. Struggling to think who though as Clarke-Salter and Chalobah seemingly bound for elsewhere.

Have asked the lad to try and find out and will post if he does. I'm still hoping Fikayo might be one but recent reports not hugely encouraging ?

Hector?  Clarke salter has joined blues

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not really. If anything, it points towards preferential treatment towards Lampard from Chelsea last season.

Roos will be our #1 - His performances in pre-season (especially Rangers) only highlights that. Without selling/loaning/doing an Anya, the only gap is at DM as I cant see just Huddlestone and Bird playing the 48+ games throughout the season by themselves. The 27 apps from Hudd last season seemed to be too much for him and Bird shouldn't be expected to play in the 25-30 required.

The club seems to have learnt from past mistakes - bloating the squad with squad players because the new manager didn't like the squad players already at the club.

Those three were thrown into the deep end to play full seasons straight away (with the odd few minutes the season before). We're only expecting the current crop to start off as squad players, so it's unreasonable to expect the same level of ability from them. Despite that, I believe Sibley and Knight are at least on par with where Hendrick was in his development at the start of his breakthrough season.

Far weaker? I agree at RW, and to a lesser extent CM. We're slightly weaker at CB and DM, but just as strong elsewhere.

From those who made a considerable contribution last year, we've lost Nugent, Bryson, Mount, Tomori, Johnson, Wilson. Martin's returned to replace Nugent, Shinnie is a slight upgrade on Bryson, Dowell is a bit of a downgrade on Mount, Evans is a slight downgrade on Tomori. Johnson and Wilson the only ones to directly replace.

This is also excluding the natural improvement of our 'young' players such as Roos, Holmes, Bennett and Bogle

Roos outperformed Carson last season. He's now more experienced and should perform even better

I agree on the Chelsea ones but Wilson was a huge coup last season. I think alot of us were hoping the Chelsea connection would be replaced by Derby finally looking into the foreign transfer market seriously would replace this. 

I'm shocked you refer to doing an anya but dm we have Thorne on that exact basis.

Personally I don't think roos is that good to be building a side to get promoted and hopefully stay there in a few years. Think Walton wouldve been the prime candidate for that. I think people still expect roos to massively develop like a young player but he just isn't anymore. Either he's been massively overlooked or he hasn't got it in him, I am of the side of the latter and you're clearly the former. If we are going to risk on an unproven goalkeeper I'd rather see Mitchell or probably actually French given that where there's some real potential to build experience onto. 

I agree to a certain respect with Hughes and Hendrick being thrown in a bit but we never went through a period not signing players, just the fees have increased. If they really weren't ready we would have signed someone like Green, Bryson, coutts etc like we did around those times. Bogle is my point though, was already being talked about seriously to displace a relatively highly rated wisdom. If they're ready, they're ready springs to mind. 

My point was more the absence of new players coming in or academy players making a stamp on the team means we haven't strengthened at all and then added to the loses this is definitely a weaker all round team. Every team sells/loses players (we did with vydra the year before) but with players coming through and new signings the target should be to strengthen other areas so overall you are stronger. 

I disagree at this point it being rational to talk about a 3rd choice holding midfielder last year being a 'slight downgrade' at cb from a player of the year winner....

Just saying we haven't replaced Wilson not even with a slight downgrade is worrying for me. Even talking about an academy player seriously I. E. Thomas who we sold to a club in the same division would be better than just a void. Was really hoping Mitchell lawson would be being talked about seriously in the first team options. 

Ive not seen a major improvement from the majority of the players listed except Bennett. Bogle finished the season well and hasn't surpassed that, Holmes has been injured. 

1 minute ago, EraniosSocks said:

Hector?  Clarke salter has joined blues

Cheers fella. As per post the lad told me a while back C-S wouldn't be coming. Don't know anything about Hector so will quiz my lad. Does seem like the prize assets are going elsewhere. Kind of stings that C-S has been allowed to go to Brum before us but then the club is so discrete these days it's hard to know who we might have wanted. Brum have made some really good signings but then I suppose you have to weigh that up agains them losing Jota and the striker whose name irritatingly won't come to mind right now ? 

6 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Cheers fella. As per post the lad told me a while back C-S wouldn't be coming. Don't know anything about Hector so will quiz my lad. Does seem like the prize assets are going elsewhere. Kind of stings that C-S has been allowed to go to Brum before us but then the club is so discrete these days it's hard to know who we might have wanted. Brum have made some really good signings but then I suppose you have to weigh that up agains them losing Jota and the striker whose name irritatingly won't come to mind right now ? 

True mate. Hector was POTY at Wednesday last year, I know he’s highly rated in this league so there will be many people vying for his signature ! 

5 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

True mate. Hector was POTY at Wednesday last year, I know he’s highly rated in this league so there will be many people vying for his signature ! 

All this time I thought Hector was a youth player at Chelsea, he is 27 years old and has never played a single game for Chelsea, madness.

Archived