Tom Lawrence

RiddingsRam

Incredibly frustrating player and I said at the beginning of the season I wanted him to score lots of goals so we could sell him for decent money in January and personally I think about £12 million is about right to a premiership club but that is only dependent on spending the money to improve the team and we need decent money to help do this. All that said I wouldn’t leave Derby county to join Huddersfield either - a Southampton type of club would suit him better I believe 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

I did think he would be sacrificed in this window perhaps Frank has listened to people moaning about him.

Do you think that Frank is stupid?

Because he has turned them down does that actually mean we even received a bid? I doubt we have, they probably put the feelers out to see if he is interested before starting negotiations with us, thats normally how it works. No point them bidding £10m+ on a player who doesnt sant to join.

Personally when fully fit he would be in my starting 11, I would go with him & Waghorn out wide with Wilson in CM. Yes he is frustrating at times but he can also come up with moments of brilliance. He absolutely battered West Brom away. Like someone else has previously said, Wilson can go misisng in games as much as Lawrence but has scored goals to mask over it which Lawrence hasnt done consistently enough, but he hasnt had a full consistent run in the team really this season, its been stop start with injuries & suspensions

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Because he has turned them down does that actually mean we even received a bid? I doubt we have, they probably put the feelers out to see if he is interested before starting negotiations with us, thats normally how it works. No point them bidding £10m+ on a player who doesnt sant to join.

Personally when fully fit he would be in my starting 11, I would go with him & Waghorn out wide with Wilson in CM. Yes he is frustrating at times but he can also come up with moments of brilliance. He absolutely battered West Brom away. Like someone else has previously said, Wilson can go misisng in games as much as Lawrence but has scored goals to mask over it which Lawrence hasnt done consistently enough, but he hasnt had a full consistent run in the team really this season, its been stop start with injuries & suspensions

Finally someone who speaks sense!! 

1 hour ago, Derbyram1 said:

None of our wingers track back and defend, maybe Bennett but he offers nothing going forward either.

As far as I can remember, Bennett, pretty much on his own, crafted the chances that won the games at Reading and Hull through sheer endeavour. As in, because of him, we're at least 4 points better off. Bennett's 3 assists this season to Lawrence's 0 shows that unless Lawrence scores, he often isn't too effective whereas Bennett may not score as regularly but has created more goals for the team

I think he's done well in bit-part roles and always offers energy and running. He seems like a nice alternative to a Lawrence type player, never lets his head drop and will run and try and create things until the last whistle. He's not a world beater yet but it'd be interesting to see how far he can progress with more consistent gametime.

I do like Lawrence, but he’s in a tough position where he’s not played enough games before coming here and because he’s now of an age he should be in his prime when he’s not *quite* there. Think he’d succeed in the Prem where he’d get a bit more time on the ball too. He’s got the ability for sure.

Without spreading the gossip, I do wonder whether we need to bring in one decent fee for a player just to cover us re:ffp. Bogle being linked earlier in the window and now Lawrence, when both could be sold with little impact (ok less so with Bogle but with a fit wisdom then you can get my drift), just makes me wonder if we might just see someone leave before the deadline.

Lawrence is incredibly frustrating. He could be a really dangerous winger but its his decision making that lets him down. Its when to shoot and when to pass that lets him down. Once hes fired up and in a game that is where we see the best in him like against Southampton. 

I'd want to keep him as we've paid a decent fee for a player who is a good championship player as it stands but has the potential to be one of the best. 

I don’t dislike Lawrence.  He has moments of brilliance and moments of frustration just like most wingers.  His bad points are probably emphasised by his transfer fee and the reputation he arrived with.  I’m not sure we really got the player we were expecting.  

He is a player I suspect we could sell, hopefully for a handsome profit, without it seriously effecting the team.  However, he isn’t somebody who I would be actively trying to offload on the cheap... so keep him until we get an offer too stupid to refuse.

9 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I don’t dislike Lawrence.  He has moments of brilliance and moments of frustration just like most wingers.  His bad points are probably emphasised by his transfer fee and the reputation he arrived with.  I’m not sure we really got the player we were expecting.  

He is a player I suspect we could sell, hopefully for a handsome profit, without it seriously effecting the team.  However, he isn’t somebody who I would be actively trying to offload on the cheap... so keep him until we get an offer too stupid to refuse.

He is one of those that has to score goals because he doesn’t actually cross the ball to his teammates ( ok very occasionally) but basically it’s goals or nothing 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Tom Lawrence is a ram!

The type of player I've wanted at derby for a long time, he has skill, a trick up his sleeve, the ability to score amazing goals and he has the arrogance of a Tom Ince to go with it.

He will be a big player and I honestly think if he was played up top, maybe alongside Marriott he would be a goal scorer.

I love how Lamps has come out and said he is going nowhere. Better than Rowett saying words to the effect, keep bidding and he is yours.

Like others have said, and has now been confirmed, I chose to believe that Derby received a bid/enquiry and told Tom as a sign of respect and transparency, give him the option. It's not likely to happen. If it does, I expect a high transfer fee, which would go a long way to helping the club. I like Tom, think he tries too hard to do the impressive thing over the sensible sometimes, but then I think about a time when we played percentage football and it was sooooo boring to watch. Don't mind a player who goes for the sublime every now and again. It's currently coming off for Wilson, not Tom, but doesn't mean he shouldn't keep trying!

Archived