Tom Lawrence

RiddingsRam

8 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Knowing what you are doing is by definition decision making! He doesn't ever get it right. 

show me a player, any player, as highly regarded as you like, I bet I can find footage of them making the wrong decision.

Why on earth should Lawrence be held to a higher standard than realistic in a world class footballer, let alone 2nd tier?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Just shows its a game of opinions. Give me Lawrence any day. 

Ince had a goals and assists record or nearly 1 in 2 at derby, that's phenomenal wide a wide man, Lawrence has 5 goals and 1 assist this season in 24 games , 1 assist for a attacking player in 24 games is terrible 

20 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Knowing what you are doing is by definition decision making! He doesn't ever get it right. 

He got it right against Southampton (twice) in the home leg, right in his decision to be in the box for the winner against Reading, right in his decision to shoot and score the 2nd against WBA....not sure i need to carry on.

13 minutes ago, Moist One said:

show me a player, any player, as highly regarded as you like, I bet I can find footage of them making the wrong decision.

Why on earth should Lawrence be held to a higher standard than realistic in a world class footballer, let alone 2nd tier?

THIS!! Spot on!!

29 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

You missed his 6 goals this season then.If he doesn’t get his decisions right he wouldn’t have the 75% successful pass rate he has.

For me Tom is wasted on the wing. He'd be far more productive as a No. 10.

However last season Vydra's form at the start of the season, stopped him from doing what he was brought in to do.

This season we've gone back to the 433. Wilson and Mount have over shadowed him.

I don't think we'd miss him this season, but what about when loan players move on next?

However if the money is right and it allows us to build for the future, he should be moved on.

The difference between Ince and Lawrence for me is that when we're breaking on a counter attack, I always felt we'd have a chance to score when Ince was on the ball. Assist or goals.

With Lawrence I know the ball is going to balloon over the goal. Lacks finesse and needs to break out of his tunnel vision.

He'd be better playing in a role where he's closer to the goal rather than dropping back to defend. His pace does help carry the ball out, but by the time he's reached the other end his legs go weird and his accuracy goes out the window.

Plenty is said about Lawrence wasted shots, but get ready for some Championship stats

Mount 
Total Shots: 66 
Off Target: 30
On Target: 21
Blocked: 15

Lawrence 
Total Shots: 53
Off Target: 21
On Target: 19
Blacked: 13

Worth mentioning that Mount has played more than Lawrence, 731 minutes more if you want stats. Lawrence shots will be more noticeable as he takes more per game, but in terms of accuracy I think it’s unfair to single him out.

Mount’s 66 shots is the most at the club.

15 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Don’t blame Lawrence for some of his recent celebrations. Never known a derby  player to get so little praise for the good things he does and get so much stick for his mistakes. Not surprising he gives a bit back. 

He is inconsistent but he’s one of the better players in this team and we’re better for having him. That being said I think if we need to raise cash, he is the one you could sell for big money and possibly cover his absence - because of the emergence of Holmes and Waghorn starting to play wide, with Wilson to fit in as well when everyone is fit we have more players than places.

Not being facetious, but apart from scoring, I'm genuinley struggling to name these ''good things'' he does... No assists in 1890 minutes of league football for a winger is pretty atrocious (Bennett's got 3 in 659 for reference), this kinda confirms that he's either squandering all his chances by shooting or he's not getting in enough dangerous positions, neither is fantastic for the team.

I don't dislike him, despite how frustrating he can be, he simply needs to work harder. If he ran with the endeavour of Bennett, he could be one of our most influential players on his day. The game against Southampton demonstrates perfectly that he can play, wonderful assist and sublime goal, however those performances seem to be 1 in 10 now, another being West Brom away.

Fans don't tend to mind individual dips in form, as long as it's replaced by visible effort to help the side and turn things round. I feel like Tom does the opposite and lets it get him down, so fans get on his back and thus repeats a vicious circle where neither the player nor the fans are happy which is a bit pointless. Russell was arguably more wasteful than Lawrence and yet cos he covered lots of ground, fans respected his effort and loved him; no reason Lawrence can't be exactly the same in time.

23 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Not being facetious, but apart from scoring, I'm genuinley struggling to name these ''good things'' he does... No assists in 1890 minutes of league football for a winger is pretty atrocious (Bennett's got 3 in 659 for reference), this kinda confirms that he's either squandering all his chances by shooting or he's not getting in enough dangerous positions, neither is fantastic for the team.

I don't dislike him, despite how frustrating he can be, he simply needs to work harder. If he ran with the endeavour of Bennett, he could be one of our most influential players on his day. The game against Southampton demonstrates perfectly that he can play, wonderful assist and sublime goal, however those performances seem to be 1 in 10 now, another being West Brom away.

Fans don't tend to mind individual dips in form, as long as it's replaced by visible effort to help the side and turn things round. I feel like Tom does the opposite and lets it get him down, so fans get on his back and thus repeats a vicious circle where neither the player nor the fans are happy which is a bit pointless. Russell was arguably more wasteful than Lawrence and yet cos he covered lots of ground, fans respected his effort and loved him; no reason Lawrence can't be exactly the same in time.

Someone said the other day that he covers more ground than most (I'd guess only Mount and Bryson are higher)

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Someone said the other day that he covers more ground than most (I'd guess only Mount and Bryson are higher)

There has to be a means to an end though. Bryson still covers a large amount of ground but I'd argue it's less useful than it was previously. Bennett is tireless with his pressing and willingness to bomb forward in an attempt to create chances for the team, that's more what I meant I guess

Archived