Tom Lawrence

RiddingsRam

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I've made my point pretty clearly .  It's rumoured we had a bid from Huddersfield in the region of 10 million . Maybe they have or haven't.

I also believe if they have received this kind of offer it represents good value for a player who has pulled up no trees here .

Have I been frustrated with his performances- yes .  Has every game he's played for us been poor- no . Do I sit there and hurl abuse and expletives -no.  Would I go mad if he scored the winner in the play off final against Forest -yes .  Do his performances in a Derby shirt make me think he's a player we must hold on to - no . Do I think he needs tutoring in customer relations to avoid getting as much grief- yes .  He's an experienced player and shouldn't behave like a child .  When I pay to watch a game of football, I don't expect a player to run towards his own fans with his fingers in his ears when he scores.

The last thing I'll be saying on him .  I get he's Mr Marmite

Nowhere have I said that your opinion of 10m is  or isn’t a good offer, that would be wrong for me to comment. My reply was to the below quote, where my point is that people who work in football are looking at him play, and it appears are happy to take an interest in him, along with a manager who rates him.

“I would 100% take 8million + for him, but I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to offer that if they have watched him play enough”

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

“Top players like Tom will always take interest from other clubs” Now that’s a quote from our manager who has played for England won countless trophies on the back of an alledged approach from a premiership club.

So that at least two people in the game who rate him, so I’m guessing that your real name is Pep or something that backs up your opinion of him, just wondering given your original quote was around people who watched him wouldn’t be stupid enough to spend 8 million on him ?

Of course he would say that to boost his confidence, he knows he isn't at top player like he was , he is probably trying to stop himself laughing or swearing half the time he ballons the ball into row  Z instead of passing to a team mate. What Lampard says doesn't necessarily indicate what he thinks. He might not rate him highly , but if he said that Lawrence would have no confidence and play worse so of course he can't say that.  Also we are probably better than Huddersfield so I wouldn't take their interest as a big compliment they are on 11 points for a reason.

1 minute ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Of course he would day that to boost his confidence, he knows he isn't at top player like he was , he is probably trying to stop himself laughing or swearing half the time he ballons the ball into row  Z instead of passing to a team mate. What Lampard says doesn't necessarily indicate what he thinks. He might not rate him highly , but if he said that Lawrence would have no confidence and play worse so of course he can't say that.  Also we are probably better than Huddersfield so I wouldn't take their interest as a big compliment they are on 11 points for a reason.

You are being serious aren’t you ??

Sometimes you know when it’s not worth continuing a conversation with someone based on what they posted ?

2 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

How many times can you remember a brilliant cross or a defence splitting pass coming from him? You may believe that my argument is irrational on the basis that an assist is only an assist if someone makes it an assist by taking the chance, but he hardly ever puts in any good crosses in , he cuts inside then shoots nearly every time or makes a 10 yard pass that anybody could make,  he doesn't offer much when it comes to creating goal scoring chances and is far often so wasteful.

5th highest key passes per game this season: Mount (2.1), Wilson (1.6), Bennett and Forsyth (1.1), Lawrence (1.0)

Given Mount only has 2 assists, it kind of suggests we aren't making the most of the chances they are creating.

Other stats:

Same shots per game as Mount (2.5) and both have the same number of league goals (4).

Twice as many dribbles per game than both Wilson and Mount (0.8 vs 0.4), and dispossessed less often than Mount (1.7 vs 1.9).

Pass success rate is slightly lower than those two. 75.3% vs Mount's 76.1% and Wilson's 76.5%.

Off topic, but the fingers in the ears thing does upset me a bit (also when other players react to any grief they've been getting).  I wish players wouldn't do it.  This isn't because I don't think they have a right to give a bit back if they've been experiencing some flack, but rather because it is indiscriminate in who it is having a go at.  

I might sigh and grumble to my neighbour about a player who misplaces a pass or makes the wrong decision but I would never loudly harangue a player, hurl abuse or join in with any booing (certainly not since Warren Barton left anyway).  A lot of fans are probably the same.  So, at games and on social media, it is likely to be a minority of supporters who have had a go at Lawrence.  I can accept that this would upset  him and he might want to make a point in return.  I know I would.  But when he scores and puts his fingers to his ears (or if others sush, of point to their names, or swear at the crowd) then that isn't just giving it back to the ones dishing it out, its having a go at all of us.  I don't like that.  I'm probably over sensitive in that regard (just want the players to love us!!)  

Having said that, his gesture might be nothing to do with what people have been saying.  Perhaps it was to Frank who told him to stop shooting from 30 yards and he was saying "I'm not listening" or perhaps he's senstive to the cheering or something.  

On topic: Anyway, seems he is staying which I'm fine with.  

Couldn't give a stuff how players celebrate, so long as they aren't literally telling fans to go forth and multiply. He cared enough to assist and score in that game. 

Tom can flatter to deceive, needs to produce on a more regular basis, but there's a good player there. That's not to say I wouldn't take a decent chunk of cash for him - and clearly we nearly did - but neither would he be anywhere near the top of the list of players to sell.

He also cares enough about the club to turn down a move to a Premier League team - must think we have a better chance of being there than Huddersfield next season..

I do find that fact that a player singled out for quite a lot of flak, then becomes an even bigger target after he cheekily gives a bit back after a Messi-esque flick and a tasty (but clearly flukey) knuckleball screamer. Footy fans aren't half an easily offended bunch these days. If I'd been heckling the lad and he did something worth the cheeky retort I'd just smile and think, 'fair do's, lad!'

Archived