Tom Lawrence

RiddingsRam

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, robglosta said:

15m would do it - buying potential on top of talent here.

I would have thought close to £10 million to be honest . Not really progressed since we've signed him . I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go if we had a decent replacement lined up. 

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

The fact that he turned it down must mean we accepted an offer which probably means it was a good offer.

What did we buy him for, £7/8m? Must be over £10m at least? 

Exactly and in an inflated market since we paid that - he's an International and a very good Championship player and has had a decent season so far.  I could see him at Bournemouth (a la David Brooks). 

Interesting that it apparently got that far without any reports - shows that some moves can go completely under the radar.

If it was Tom that turned it down, and not us, then it suggests we accepted their offer but there's no mention of what that is. I wonder if any potential incomings were or will be resting on a player like Lawrence leaving? You'd have to imagine we'd get more than we paid, especially from a PL club who are likely panicking.

It's really not a surprise that he turned them down if true though, we're more likely to be in the PL next season than Huddersfield are. If it's any other team in the league, then it may be a different story.

Or, the club received an acceptable offer and Frank and co will not get in the way of a move to the premier league for a player to further their career.

Would make it more attractive to move to Derby for hungry young players. Play well and get promoted, or get a transfer. We win either way. 

Doesn’t seem overly happy here to me.

I hate to be the ‘reads into celebrations guy’ but in the past month or so we’ve had some cupping/covering of the ears to the fans (see end of season Jacob Butterfield, 16/17) and a startling snub after he scored his penalty against Southampton. Not so much as a fist pump to the away fans, he just walked straight back to the halfway line.

Struggled to bond with the fans throughout really. Isn’t the sort of player who endears himself as he tends to be wasteful, came with a fairly big price tag and hasn’t really kicked on under Frank the way you’d hope he would. I know a lot of the people around me in the South Stand don’t like him.

If we sell him I’d be slightly disappointed because he’s felt close to taking that next step at points this season, easy to forget he’s only really played a couple of full seasons in his career. Still holding out hope that his shots will start finding the back of the net instead of Ryan in South Lower’s face. 

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

If it's true, we then have the problem of a player knowing the manager doesn't rate him highly enough to want to keep him.

Depends how much the bid was to be honest, and also how Tom sees the bid. If the club was willing to make a loss on him, then that's when you will see problems in that respect I'm sure, but if it makes sense financially, I'm sure Tom would understand, or at least I'd hope he would.

You could also suggest that it could have the opposite effect. That he fights even more to stay in the team and prove his worth. Depends on his character.

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

If it's true, we then have the problem of a player knowing the manager doesn't rate him highly enough to want to keep him.

Not really. Every player has a value, and the club are giving him the opportunity to go to the Prem and probably get a pay rise.

With jozefzoon, waggy, holmes and bennett we could afford to lose TL and we need the dosh.

its a good option for both parties.

Assuming Huddersfield are panicking, it was probably a decent mark up on him, but yeah, I think a lot of players would turn them down.

Would also put the Marriott roumor to bed (unless they tried both or got told to GTF on MArriott but Lawrence for the right price might be available)

I rate Lawrence, there is a very good player in there, but he's never quite seemed to bond here. I would sell him if the price was right, but that's very different to not rating him. And if it's PL interest, it shows that other managers do rate him as well.

Archived