Premier League 18/19

Alph

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It just goes to show how one false move can damage a career. 12 months ago, Sarri and Jorginho were amongst the hottest properties in football. It’s an amazing turn of events.

I just think Jorginho is too unique a footballer to fit into most systems. He suits functioning Sarriball and he’d have suited Guardiola’s Barcelona. I’m not entirely sure he’d have suited the current City side. 

He doesn’t control games, he doesn’t screen effectively and he doesn’t really create. He just constantly shows and plays it one touch-two touch, he’s a wall from teammates to bounce off and speed up attacks or beat the press. 

13 hours ago, cannable said:

I just think Jorginho is too unique a footballer to fit into most systems. He suits functioning Sarriball and he’d have suited Guardiola’s Barcelona. I’m not entirely sure he’d have suited the current City side. 

He doesn’t control games, he doesn’t screen effectively and he doesn’t really create. He just constantly shows and plays it one touch-two touch, he’s a wall from teammates to bounce off and speed up attacks or beat the press. 

I would agree that Jorginho is not a defensive player. 

If you watched Napoli under Sarri, you’d never describe them as solid defensively. They were very open, and that is what made them so refreshing and exciting to watch. Attacking and dominating the ball was their first and only priority. Defensively, they were always treading a fine line. You’d never bet on a 0-0. 

So why Chelsea fans expect Jorginho to protect the defence and shore things up, I don’t know. That has never been his selling point. At Napoli, Koulibaly and Allan were always more influential defensively. In possession, Koulibaly would carry the ball out from the back and out of possession, Allan would do the dogged defensive work, because Allan had the engine to get around the pitch and contribute to all phases of play.

Jorginho is a central midfielder. His best work comes in the opposition’s half transitioning the ball from the middle third to the final third - offloading the ball quickly and cleverly, always providing an option in tight areas, keeping the ball well in tight areas, drawing players in, creating pockets of space, spreading the play to the wide areas, or putting someone through with a ball over the top.

What we are seeing currently is a stand-off. Jorginho hasn’t become a bad player overnight. The fact is that either Jorginho needs to change or Chelsea need to change. 

For a team with a clear identity, a team who play on the front foot, a team with high work rate and high pressing, a team that wants to attack first and foremost, Jorginho would be a great fit.

The truth is that Chelsea are not really well versed enough in their new playing style yet for Jorginho to flourish. They are still in transition.

I can see exactly why Guardiola wanted him. Jorginho would look good in any of the top three sides. He would slot in far more easily.

Did I really just hear Graeme Souness say this:-

"Football isn't rocket science, its about getting players to do the right thing at the right time"

Why is he allowed to get away with spouting this garbage.

He should immediately have been pulled up on such a flippant comment and been made to explain why his managerial record is so dire.

Amazed that the dinosaur is still in a job.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

13 straight defeats away from being our brothers in infamy.

Its not beyond the realms of possibility either - currently already on a run of 13 games without a win.

Still wont beat our record of 32 Prem games without a win (which we could still extend if we ever get back to the Prem), but they could at least get the same points as us.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

"Football isn't rocket science, its about getting players to do the right thing at the right time"

He should immediately have been pulled up on such a flippant comment and been made to explain why his managerial record is so dire.

See how lovely football is as a neutral !? I like his no ******** approach. Don't think he's my cup of tea as a man, didn't like him as a player.

I'm not sure his managerial record is "dire". I think he's done ok and I'm more surprised he's been out of the managerial game for so long.

I agree it might be too late for him now.

Once they sit on the sofa though, they all make it sound so easy, they all make it sound like they never made a mistake in their lives. No wonder they get comfy. Such a cushy little number.

Even Danny Mills is an expert.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Scored 7 less... 

Have they any chance of taking the minus goal difference record of us .   To be honest the one that really got me was the 32 run game without a win .  I'll never forgive Carlisle for caving in those last few minutes stopping Macclesfield getting that record outright.

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

13 straight defeats away from being our brothers in infamy.

And if we were to jointly hold the record, it’s got to be worse for them, as they were an ‘established’ premier league club at the start of the season. All they had to be was better than then newly promoted teams. At least we were favourites to go down from day 1. 

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

They have won two though

They have only won 1 at home though - they will join us and Sunderland for fewest home wins if they dont win anymore. If they do lose 12 of the remaining game they will also take our joint record for most defeats in a season.

There are a few others they could take as well, but i'll be honest i kind of like having our name plastered all over the Premier League records page. Would have been better if they were good records, but its something at least.

13 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's not rocket science but it take 5 men, 10 replays and 15 minutes to explain it was a good pass from Pogba to Rashford

Archived