Watchable telly

dog

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

New series if Inside No. 9 starting tonight but I will probably watch it on Iplayer as it clashes with the final episode of The thief, his wife and the canoe.

How has the thief been?  Seen some mixed reviews, not sure whether to bother or not.

23 hours ago, Gaspode said:

The Easter Doctor Who - what a complete and utter pile of horse droppings:

• Baddies (the Sea Devils who were genuinely scary when I was a kid) who looked like shaved French Bulldogs with the most obvious rubber masks
  • "Fighting" that wouldn't have been out of place in a pantomime
  • John Bishop dressed up like a complete twit (though he was also by far the best actor in the whole thing)
  • The whole CGI budget blown on some sort of flying ship, but the rest of the sets looking as if they'd been knocked up for a school play...
  • An incredibly forced lesbian storyline that meant one of the characters spent the whole episode wandering around like a love-sick puppy while the doctor tried to save the planet
  • Not a ounce of tension in the whole story

Really think it's run its course now - I'm not sure who their audience are supposed to be and I'm not sure they are either....

Couldn't agree more.  The Sea Devils have been hugely under-utilised and were genuinely scary....in the 70s.  

As someone who watched Dr Who religiously year after year, hiding behind cushions, I really think he/she (will we get a they?) should retire to some distant planet at the end of the universe in a different space / time continuum.  The youth of today is spoilt with the CGI effects of modern cinema.  The old school ways of The Dr have had their day I think sadly. It's lost its appeal and hasn't moved on.  I tried to get my kids to watch it a year or so ago and they were completely underwhelmed by the special effects...or lack of them.  

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

It's OK for a bit of light viewing. Only four episodes so not a big commitment.

Agree. (Although thought it was 5?).

We have watched the first 2 and it's kinda endearing but a little patchy and oddly paced. All quite quaint and little seeming to happen but suddenly huge changes/decisions have passed by in a split second conversation. I find it fascinating the choices the director has made to focus on the mundane stuff almost, whilst brushing over the reasons huge choices were made (eg why Panama?).

Great acting,  amusing script...low budget and stranger then fiction story line, quickly forgotten but quite enjoyable nonetheless!

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

We have watched the first 2 and it's kinda endearing but a little patchy and oddly paced. All quite quaint and little seeming to happen but suddenly huge changes/decisions have passed by in a split second conversation. I find it fascinating the choices the director has made to focus on the mundane stuff almost, whilst brushing over the reasons huge choices were made (eg why Panama?).

Great acting,  amusing script...low budget and stranger then fiction story line, quickly forgotten but quite enjoyable nonetheless!

Definitely only 4 episodes with final one tonight 

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

5th programme is a documentary….

3 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Couldn't agree more.  The Sea Devils have been hugely under-utilised and were genuinely scary....in the 70s.  

As someone who watched Dr Who religiously year after year, hiding behind cushions, I really think he/she (will we get a they?) should retire to some distant planet at the end of the universe in a different space / time continuum.  The youth of today is spoilt with the CGI effects of modern cinema.  The old school ways of The Dr have had their day I think sadly. It's lost its appeal and hasn't moved on.  I tried to get my kids to watch it a year or so ago and they were completely underwhelmed by the special effects...or lack of them.  

I thought it was fine just a few years ago in the days of David Tenant. Think it was directed by Russell T Davies around that time, you had episodes written by Mark Gatiss.

I liked it when Matt Smith & Karen Gillan were in it too tbf, not sure who was in charge of it then but it's not who it is now.

Point is really that around that time BBC considered it their top show pretty much, with budgets to match (maybe not cinema level but much much better than the current effects) and leading writers. It was still a family show but it had its darker moments and more adult themes running through.  From what I've seen of the last few series (dip into the occasional episode, think it's awful and don't watch another for a year) it's an afterthought trading on name alone.

Cheap tacky rubbish.

The good news is that RTD has returned to the helm, though whether that comes with a better budget or less enforced inclusion-for-the-sake-of-inclusion (it's not like he isn't prone to a bit of that himself) is yet to be seen.

40 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

I thought it was fine just a few years ago in the days of David Tenant. Think it was directed by Russell T Davies around that time, you had episodes written by Mark Gatiss.

I liked it when Matt Smith & Karen Gillan were in it too tbf, not sure who was in charge of it then but it's not who it is now.

Point is really that around that time BBC considered it their top show pretty much, with budgets to match (maybe not cinema level but much much better than the current effects) and leading writers. It was still a family show but it had its darker moments and more adult themes running through.  From what I've seen of the last few series (dip into the occasional episode, think it's awful and don't watch another for a year) it's an afterthought trading on name alone.

Cheap tacky rubbish.

The good news is that RTD has returned to the helm, though whether that comes with a better budget or less enforced inclusion-for-the-sake-of-inclusion (it's not like he isn't prone to a bit of that himself) is yet to be seen.

Yeah good points tbf.  Maybe I'll give it another go for old time's sake.  

19 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

The good news is that RTD has returned to the helm, though whether that comes with a better budget or less enforced inclusion-for-the-sake-of-inclusion (it's not like he isn't prone to a bit of that himself) is yet to be

The big news earlier this year was that Sony acquired Bad Wolf - the production company that make Dr Who for the Beeb.

Some speculation they may want to invest to take it to Marvel production levels. MCU has shown there is the potential for big money from Sci Fi pitched at 12 year olds. 

Sounds like a plausible theory to me.

On 19/04/2022 at 17:17, Gaspode said:

I'm not sure who their audience are supposed to be and I'm not sure they are either....

Agreed. I've also seen a couple of recent reviews, where they said that when Dr Who was at it's recent best (Russell T Davies writing for David Tennant), it was a show aimed at adults but that the kids could watch. Now it's trying to be a kids' show, but the adults don't want to be constantly preached to......

23 hours ago, BucksRam said:

I tried to get my kids to watch it a year or so ago and they were completely underwhelmed by the special effects...or lack of them.  

.....and it's not really working for the kids either.

19 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

The good news is that RTD has returned to the helm,

Indeed. I hope it's not too late to save the show from disappearing up it's own bottom.

Finished watching Anatomy of a Scandal on Netflix.

Fairly well acted and there was nothing fundamentally wrong  with it, but it's kind of been done to death and didn't offer anything much new other than some arty (person gets bad news and spirals back out of control for effect as the titles come up)  and pointless ends to each episode.

6/10

Finally persuaded Mrs Badger to watch Godless from around 2017 on Netflix that scores 8.2 on IMDb. It seems after a couple of glasses of wine she's up for a western.

Two episodes in and enjoying it.

And coincidently, the woman who played the prosecuting QC in Anatomy of a Scandal is the lead in this. At least I think it's her, I've not bothered to look it up.

Anybody else seen it?

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Fairly well acted and there was nothing fundamentally wrong  with it, but it's kind of been done to death and didn't offer anything much new other than some arty (person gets bad news and spirals back out of control for effect as the titles come up)  and pointless ends to each episode.

6/10

Finally persuaded Mrs Badger to watch Godless from around 2017 on Netflix that scores 8.2 on IMDb. It seems after a couple of glasses of wine she's up for a western.

And coincidently, the woman who played the prosecuting QC in Anatomy of a Scandal is the lead in this. At least I think it's her, I've not bothered to look it up.

Anybody else seen it?

Ooh, love a good western. Missed this one completely so will give it a go. 

On the subject of westerns, I've mentioned 1883 a couple of times on here and just noted that Paramount+ are offering a free 30 day trial which would allow my old mate @Mostyn6 to watch it without freeing the moths from his wallet. Sam Elliot's finest hour IMO. The connection to Yellowstone is irrelevant btw. It's a stand-alone show as it was intended to be.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands
*day

6/10

Anybody else seen it?

Godless was very enjoyable, our Jack puts in a good turn but Jeff Daniels is excellent as the baddie. Decent watch.

6/10

Anybody else seen it?

Michelle Dockery, from Downton Abbey too.

Three very varied roles !

We've been watching Stay Close (Netflix) over the weekend.

I used to read a few Harlan Coben books on past holidays, so was curious about this adaptation.

Unrealistic if not utterly bonkers in many ways but have to admit it's an entertaining watch.

On 24/04/2022 at 12:37, ketteringram said:

Michelle Dockery, from Downton Abbey too.

Three very varied roles !

Not as varied as Merritt Wever, who is in that thing where she gets ducked by a duck. Only caught it on Gogglebox but that didn't quite fit the bill (if you see what I did there)