Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've watched the first 2 episodes of the lfinal series of Peaky Blinders.

Does it get better?

It's not horrible, but I'm not sure I'd stick with it if I'd not watched the first 5. Certainly not even close to that standard and seems all a bit self-indulgent.

I enjoyed the final season, but if you think the first two episodes are self-indulgent (which they are, to be fair), then I wouldn't bother carrying on. Not much changes.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Does it get better?

It's not horrible, but I'm not sure I'd stick with it if I'd not watched the first 5. Certainly not even close to that standard and seems all a bit self-indulgent.

Sadly not. It's a shame as the producers' greed has somewhat diminished its legacy.

Does it get better?

I've really enjoyed this series, more than seasons 3 and 4. I thought they were too convoluted and complex.  This season has a straight forward story line that builds nicely to a climax.

Late to the game on this one as its about 4 years old...but watching The End of the Fxxxing World right now on Netflix.

Highly recommended.

It's a dark comedy about a teenage psychopath who targets the moody new girl at school as his first kill.

If you like Atypical and Black Mirror, you'll probably like this.

(As a bonus it as a damn good soundtrack courtesy of Spondon's own Graham Coxon.)

Edited by therealhantsram

I thought there was a Documentaries thread, but I cannot find it.

Watched the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary last night. It's inconceivable to me that he got away with what he did. The current term "Red Flag" fits in quite appropriately with his behaviour. Its an astounding documentary, albeit angering, frustrating and emotive.

Well worth a watch. Amazing how many times he alludes to "my case is Next Thursday!".

Look out for Absolute DJ Richie Firth making a cameo.

Just watched the first episode of Gazza on BBC2.

Nicely-pitched and the story of a brilliant but naive young man with demons who just happened to be brilliant at football.

So many people have let him down and taken advantage of him. The programme also makes clear that he also let himself down on many occasions.

The sad story of the loss of his friend who died in his arms when Gazza was 11 is one worth bearing in mind. 

Once, he wanted to be everyone’s friend but I think he probably has a deep mistrust of those who get close to him, so often has he been betrayed.

It’s a modern tragedy.

I hope he finds his peace and that the press leaves him alone.

On 12/04/2022 at 09:33, Mostyn6 said:

I thought there was a Documentaries thread, but I cannot find it.

Watched the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary last night. It's inconceivable to me that he got away with what he did. The current term "Red Flag" fits in quite appropriately with his behaviour. Its an astounding documentary, albeit angering, frustrating and emotive.

Well worth a watch. Amazing how many times he alludes to "my case is Next Thursday!".

Look out for Absolute DJ Richie Firth making a cameo.

Did it air the John Lydon interview where he outs him?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Did it air the John Lydon interview where he outs him?

No mention. Nor a mention of David Icke who outed him in a book 12 years earlier than his death. However theres a clip of him sitting next to Icke whilst sleazily trying to pull Selina Scott and Icke is recoiling away. This is apparently a nod to Icke. 

Bit of a random one that I’d really recommend for it’s any WWII/history fans. Currently on the  uktv play app there is the 1970’s doc The World At War. It’s a bloody slog, in that there’s a lot of info so I can only get through an episode a night but it’s well worth it.

Also narrated by Laurence Olivier!

Just finished Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix. Hard to describe.  It's a dark, bonkers, very gross, horror series.  If watching someone vomiting kittens is your thing then go for it.  If the thought flesh eating zombies, or of seeing a close up of a maggot in the corner of someone's eye turns your stomach, maybe try Sweet Tooth instead. 

Got to the end of episode 4 of Slow Horses with Gary Oldman on Apple TV, only to find it's one of those old fashioned series where you have to wait a week in between episodes. Ugh.

It's an MI5 drama in which the name Slow Horses is used to describe a division of MI5 where they send those agents who have screwed up on some way. Slow is on itself a derivation of Slough as they call it Slough House because it may as well be in Slough for all the concern that the rest of MI5 gives it.

Having worked in Slough, I definitely get that analogy.

Gary Oldman may just be the greatest actor of his generation and he raises the entire thing by its nutsack from mediocrity to entertaining.

If you're anal about plot holes and continuity errors like I can be, you may find some parts irritating, but it's worth watching just for Oldman and quite a lot of fun.

Got to the end of episode 4 of Slow Horses with Gary Oldman on Apple TV, only to find it's one of those old fashioned series where you have to wait a week in between episodes. Ugh.

It's an MI5 drama in which the name Slow Horses is used to describe a division of MI5 where they send those agents who have screwed up on some way. Slow is on itself a derivation of Slough as they call it Slough House because it may as well be in Slough for all the concern that the rest of MI5 gives it.

Having worked in Slough, I definitely get that analogy.

Gary Oldman may just be the greatest actor of his generation and he raises the entire thing by its nutsack from mediocrity to entertaining.

If you're anal about plot holes and continuity errors like I can be, you may find some parts irritating, but it's worth watching just for Oldman and quite a lot of fun.

I've only watched the first two so far - enjoying it though I've read the Mick Herron books that it's based on so that helps...my only criticism of Oldman is that he isn't fat enough, nor is he quite as offensive as the character in the books ?....(not enough farting)

The Easter Doctor Who - what a complete and utter pile of horse droppings:

• Baddies (the Sea Devils who were genuinely scary when I was a kid) who looked like shaved French Bulldogs with the most obvious rubber masks
  • "Fighting" that wouldn't have been out of place in a pantomime
  • John Bishop dressed up like a complete twit (though he was also by far the best actor in the whole thing)
  • The whole CGI budget blown on some sort of flying ship, but the rest of the sets looking as if they'd been knocked up for a school play...
  • An incredibly forced lesbian storyline that meant one of the characters spent the whole episode wandering around like a love-sick puppy while the doctor tried to save the planet
  • Not a ounce of tension in the whole story

Really think it's run its course now - I'm not sure who their audience are supposed to be and I'm not sure they are either....

Over the past year I've been watching The Big Bang Theory from the start. Consitantly funny with great characters (Sheldon specially). Brilliant how they created such a complex script for each episode. The actors did well delivering their lines! I've finally watched the last episode (279) and cannot recall a bad one.

On 09/04/2022 at 13:01, Bob The Badger said:

I'm sorry to bang on about this as it's my third time mentioning it, but Top Boy is ducking brilliant.

We watched the last episode last night and that one episode was as good, or better, as any episode in Gomorrah.

I was worried that Top Boy wouldn't be as good as Top Boy Summerhouse when Netflix took over the production.

Well, it just got better and better. Whether that was because it got more violent as the characters developed or because the introduction of one of the scariest characters from Liverpool entered the fray, I'm not really sure. And btw, that character looked a lot like Ginny from Gomorrah and I wonder if that was intentional.

The acting was truly outstanding. 

Dialogue can be mumbly and I had to look up a lot of the urban slang as I'm an old fart, but seriously guys, it's like a UK Gomorrah.

So in case you didn't see my early post.

Watch Top Boy Summerhouse series 1 & 2 first and then go onto to Top Boy series 1 and 2 because they were made 10 years later and Netflix didn't want to confuse people do renamed the original Top Boy, Top Boy Summerhouse and then promptly confused every ducker. 

All are on Netflix.

I just gave it 10/10 on IMDb and I almost never do that.

I have to agree, Summerhouse was good but i am now well into Top Boy series one and if anything it is better.  It hasn't topped the dizzy heights of Gomorrah for me but very, very good none the less.