Watchable telly

dog

13 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

There were a lot of condemned buildings/slums all around working class towns and cities in the 70s. The Telegraph bygones section regularly run pieces and publish pictures. I find it fascinating as i grew up on the then new estate replacing demolished slums in Stockbrook area. My dad grew up in the area too so used to hear stories. 

I binged watched Ripper though and don’t believe anyone lived in some of the buildings they showed. How amazing were some of the cars though? 

I don’t think all those houses around Stockbrook Street should have been pulled down. You say they were slums and they were condemned but those houses were no different from the houses on Stockbrook Street that were not knocked down. I had a friend who lived on Stockbrook Street – his house is still there – and inside it was a warm and comfortable house.

The only problem with the terraced houses was that some of them had outside toilets and no bathrooms but I think you could get a grant to put in a proper bathroom. Last year I was in a pub in Surrey which was opposite some tiny terraced cottages that were much smaller than any of the houses in the Stockbrook Street area. A local told me that in the 1960s the people who lived in those cottages were so poor they used to sit on their doorsteps "shelling peas" for a little extra money. He might have said selling peas but whatever he said he meant they were poor. Today you could not buy one of those cottages for £600,000. If the local council had their way those houses would have been destroyed.

In the early 1970s anyone who had a job could afford a house. I can remember seeing a house for sale in Wilmorton for £500. This was around 1979. There may have been a special reason why that house was so cheap but an average wage would be enough to get a mortgage on most houses in Derby in the 1970s. There were so many houses in Derby that anyone who wanted to own a house could have one.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people on the lower IQ range – probably about 15% of the population – who are not capable of buying and holding on to their own house. Maybe they don’t have jobs or maybe they are too disorganised to arrange a mortgage. Perhaps they would lose their jobs or they would forget to keep up the mortgage payments. These people need to be looked after by the community. The council will always need to provide accommodation for these people. By the way, I am not saying that all people who live in council housing are like that.

Instead of improving the existing houses and renting them to council tenants they decided to demolish the houses and build new ones. The council would argue that the existing stock did not match the higher council standards but the real reason would probably be found by reading about people like John Paulson and T. Dan Smith.

44 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You are talking rubbish surely, the post war period was pure joy? It's the magical era that 70-80 year olds always refer back too, which just coincidentally was also their childhood. I imagine it was even better for the rich, long glorious summers exploring the countryside around Father's estate. 

I don't regard the 1970s as "post war" and I don't regard it as a "magical era" but things in general seemed better then. Perhaps I am "talking rubbish" because I'm talking from experience rather than accepting the official line which is that the 1970s was a dark period in our history when the country was mainly populated by racists and sexists.

12 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

I don't regard the 1970s as "post war" and I don't regard it as a "magical era" but things in general seemed better then. Perhaps I am "talking rubbish" because I'm talking from experience rather than accepting the official line which is that the 1970s was a dark period in our history when the country was mainly populated by racists and sexists.

Nor do I call the 70s post war. I was replying to a post about the 50s, when old rich white men tell us that everything was wonderful and we need to go back to that time.

I think you may have your "official lines" confused too, although I guess you weren't regularly a victim of racism throughout the 70s, or any other periods?

As this is a tv thread, maybe you should watch Small Axe?

Is there anything decent on Amazon Prime? Someone else gave me their password and other than half of Spurs v Liverpool I have watched the latest Grand Tour and the new Borat film. Plan on watching Four Lions as never got around to seeing it at the time and like Chris Morris's work.

Everything else just looks like a Supermarket own brand version of a Netflix series I already didn't watch and the films are largely rubbish.

11 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Is there anything decent on Amazon Prime? Someone else gave me their password and other than half of Spurs v Liverpool I have watched the latest Grand Tour and the new Borat film. Plan on watching Four Lions as never got around to seeing it at the time and like Chris Morris's work.

Everything else just looks like a Supermarket own brand version of a Netflix series I already didn't watch and the films are largely rubbish.

Hap and Leonard

Sneaky Pete

Patriot

Mr Robot

Hand of God

Man in the High Castle

Hell on Wheels

Ripper Street

Copper

The Boys

Outlander

Vikings

those should entertain you. Then the best.....

Bosch

11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hap and Leonard

Sneaky Pete

Patriot

Mr Robot

Hand of God

Man in the High Castle

Hell on Wheels

Ripper Street

Copper

The Boys

Outlander

Vikings

Bosch

The Americans, This is us, Little Fires Everywhere too.

16 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hap and Leonard

Sneaky Pete

Patriot

Mr Robot

Hand of God

Man in the High Castle

Hell on Wheels

Ripper Street

Copper

The Boys

Outlander

Vikings

Bosch

Wow. You certainly like your violence and gore.?

No amount of money could make me watch most of those.

Bosch is ok though.

The 1960s show The Fugitive has been great viewing.

For me a good show means interesting things happening to interesting people. The shows filmed in colour really look great. They don’t have the washed out colours you see in most 1970s rubbish show like The Professionals. The Fugitive has more class than the stuff you see today. In yesterday’s episode you had a scene where a lady had employed the fugitive to do some work around the house in exchange for a bed downstairs on her couch. At two o’clock in the morning the lady comes downstairs in her dressing gown – all buttoned up and respectable looking – and sees him looking out of the window at the rain. They talk a bit about the rain and then she says "Do you want me to leave?". He says "No". Then the scene cuts to the next day. All we get is a hint that something happened between them. If that scene was shot now, in this supposedly less sexist era, we would have a lot of female nudity and a load of rough sex.

Women viewers really like the main character. I was talking about this to my wife and she mentioned some of the things that attract women to him. He is modest and shy. He is a great listener. He rarely talks about himself. He never talks about sport or politics. He is intelligent. He is generous. He always does his best to help people even when it is at great risk to himself. He manages to look clean and smart even though he spends a lot of time living like a tramp and hiding in bushes.

I don’t know whether to regard him as an impossible paragon or whether he should be adopted as a role model by men still looking to find a partner.

27 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Gore?? Which of these are you referring to?

Pretty vanilla a lot of that..half expecting you to suggest Vera, Heartbeat and Broadchurch next. ?

Watched a fair few of them tbh.

My top 3 of that lot...

1) The Boys is very good, different but pretty 'adult'. 

2) Man in the High Castle was absolutely amazing before tailing off a bit. 

3) Bosch, standard-ish cop detective stuff but very well done. 

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Gore?? Which of these are you referring to?

Copper

Patriot

Hand of God

Those three rate moderate for violence and gore on IMDb.

Hap and Leonard

Hell on wheels

Ripper Street

The Boys

Outlander

Vikings

Mr Robot

Those 7 rate Severe , that's as high as it gets, for violence and gore on IMDb.

It's not a criticism. Just definitely not my taste . It's not a case of not being able to cope with it. My first job meant I've no issue with watching it. But I've never figured out how that sort of stuff is meant to be entertainment.

And I realise given how popular a lot of stuff is, that I'm very much in the minority?

19 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Copper

Patriot

Hand of God

Those three rate moderate for violence and gore on IMDb.

Hap and Leonard

Hell on wheels

Ripper Street

The Boys

Outlander

Vikings

Mr Robot

Those 7 rate Severe , that's as high as it gets, for violence and gore on IMDb.

It's not a criticism. Just definitely not my taste . It's not a case of not being able to cope with it. My first job meant I've no issue with watching it. But I've never figured out how that sort of stuff is meant to be entertainment.

And I realise given how popular a lot of stuff is, that I'm very much in the minority?

I suggest you stop looking at IMDb for guidance and form your own opinions! I’ve never heard so much nonsense as “Severe”. Mr Robot is about a hacker ffs! As in computer hacking not bone hacking! 

If you let websites guide your life, you may as well not bother living because somewhere there’s a website that would advise against absolutely everything possible!!

Missing out on so much good TV. Tell me, have you ever tried sexual intercourse? There are books and websites advising against it!! 

Just watched the latest series of Making a Murderer.

Can’t make my mind up if the series illustrates how biased a “factual” Netflix documentary can be or how poor the US legal system can be at times. Probably a combination of both but mostly the former. If you take the case presented by Netflix as the whole balanced view of the evidence available then it’s incredulous how the appeal courts arrived at their decisions. I guess though that, quite rightly, the prosecution probably either refused to cooperate with the making of the series or were not invited.