Overrated Players

AshfieldRam

Just interested to get peoples opinions on players that they believe are overrated. 

For example, a few that spring to mind for me

Jack Grealish: Admittedly, he does have moments of magic. But most of the time he's complaining, rolling around on the floor or messing with this socks. His stats aren't great either. 

Andy Carroll: Perhaps a little harsh with his injury record but i just don't get how he was once valued at 35 millions pounds. 

Jack Wilshere: Again, injuries haven't helped but he has never ever filled the hype imo. Still chance to convince me otherwise.

Theo Walcott: Other than running fast, i don't get what he offers. Players like Leroy Sane who have pace and trickery just highlight what a disappointment he has been 

The Euro 2016 Wales team (other than Bale & Ramsey): They only really won one game against Belgium that was actually impressive, the rest of the games they were expected to win. Not to mention they lost against an England team that many people considered terrible. But the reason i'm putting them as overrated is the fanfare that surrounded it. Yes be proud of the team like was with England this summer but don't have an open top bus tour for winning a couple of games. Wales were all of a sudden expected to qualify for all the tournaments after that but reality soon set in and they went back to being very average. 

Wes Morgan: This man will forever be immortalised holding a premier league trophy yet players like Gerard never won one. Madness, He's average at best.

Feel free to add yours 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

Andy Carroll: Perhaps a little harsh with his injury record but i just don't get how he was once valued at 35 millions pounds. 

I doubt he was ever seriously valued at that. Liverpool paid it because they'd just got £50m for Torres and it was transfer deadline day.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

I doubt he was ever seriously valued at that. Liverpool paid it because they'd just got £50m for Torres and it was transfer deadline day.

Good point. I suppose i shouldn't really hold it against him but i just see him as a worse version of Dean Ashton 

46 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

The Euro 2016 Wales team (other than Bale & Ramsey): They only really won one game against Belgium that was actually impressive, the rest of the games they were expected to win. Not to mention they lost against an England team that many people considered terrible. But the reason i'm putting them as overrated is the fanfare that surrounded it. Yes be proud of the team like was with England this summer but don't have an open top bus tour for winning a couple of games. Wales were all of a sudden expected to qualify for all the tournaments after that but reality soon set in and they went back to being very average. 

The England 2018 WC team,

Beat a pub side (Panama) another not much better (Tunisia), scraped past a half decent side missing their best player (Colombia) and won ok against a v ordinary team (Sweden).

The only decent teams they came up against they didn't really get anywhere near.

(Puts tin hat on..........)  ?

1 hour ago, AshfieldRam said:

Just interested to get peoples opinions on players that they believe are overrated. 

For example, a few that spring to mind for me

Jack Grealish: Admittedly, he does have moments of magic. But most of the time he's complaining, rolling around on the floor or messing with this socks. His stats aren't great either. 

Jack Wilshere: Again, injuries haven't helped but he has never ever filled the hype imo. Still chance to convince me otherwise.

Theo Walcott: Other than running fast, i don't get what he offers. Players like Leroy Sane who have pace and trickery just highlight what a disappointment he has been 

Wes Morgan: This man will forever be immortalised holding a premier league trophy yet players like Gerard never won one. Madness, He's average at best.

Feel free to add yours 

Plenty on there that I wouldn't class as overrated at the moment, Walcott & Wilshere in particular were excellent prospects that have been ravaged by injury and neither are really that highly rated anymore. Sturridge could well be put in the same boat. Wes Morgan, based on the description you've put, is the opposite to overrated - despite never being discussed as one of the top 20 (or perhaps even 40) CBs in the Premier League captained an unfancied side to a Premier League title. Gerrard, despite being discussed as one of the best midfielders ever in English football, never won the top flight in English football with one of the most prestigious clubs in the country. I'd personally say that the latter describes 'overrated' and the former describes 'overachieved'. 

Grealish, I can absolutely agree on. He's very similar to Will Hughes. He's an attacking midfielder with very little goals & assists. No doubting he looks good on the ball and can go past players, but how many top attacking mids struggle to break double figures in both goals & assists? Grealish (or Hughes) hasn't even come close in either. 

It's actually difficult to think of many players as fans of most clubs hate the players that play for them ?

Neymar.  Not in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo.  Not even in the same league as Mbeppe, Suaez, Aguero, or even Kane.

Pogba.  Not enough end product, unless you count his hair dye.

Rashford.  He may turn out to be the real deal, given a solid seasons worth of games, but top draw players don't miss the kind of chances he does.

David Luiz.  And people say Keogh always has a mistake in him...

50 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

. I'd personally say that the latter describes 'overrated' and the former describes 'overachieved'. 

Fair point and you're right actually.

I just find it so hard to comprehend that he's won the Prem. I always thought of him as a no nonsense kick it defender who would move between the Prem and Championship

James Maddison, Chris Sutton in particular blows smoke up his arse whilst repeatedly making it clear that he has no idea what type of player he is.

I don’t think people quite realise how many of his goals and assists are from set-plays. Granted you can’t ignore how good he is at them but if you have another player of equal ability at them then he’s a less technical Jack Grealish

Duncan McKenzie - built an entire career on being able to jump over a mini and throw a cricket ball a long way.

Wayne Rooney - brilliant at club level, but could never do it at the highest level for England. Not in the same league as Lineker when playing for England.

Trevor Cherry - it's a disgrace he got as many England caps as Toddy, just no comparison 

4 hours ago, AshfieldRam said:

Feel free to add yours 

Gerrard was massively over rated. Had a few big games that went chaotic and his headless chicken style worked (cup final vs West Ham, champs league).

No tactical discipline and spent most his time playing for England overhitting overly ambitious passes and performing poorly. Should have been dropped if he couldn't fit into a system for the likes of Butt, Scholes or Carrick.

Liverpool were pretty average during his time there. His mis-control (rebranded as a slip) vs Chelsea cost them the league.

Pogba and Lukaku. Both look bang average for United. Lukaku isn't good enough to be at a club like United. Pogba seems to have a weak mentality and can't deal with things when they stop going his way. 

Hugo Lloris. Been dreadful for some time now, makes far too many mistakes to be considered a top goal keeper. 

Ozil. Missing in big games.

Jorginho. Not even close to as good as Kante at holding midfielder. Good on the ball, but his off the ball work is terrible.

Lukaku - too fat and cant finish

Gerard - Post 2001 - too many holllywood balls, not a team player

Rashford + Welbeck - Both only surviving because they are/were "local lads"

Neymar - Nowhere near the same level of the players he thinks he is on the same level as

now on to our lot

Bryson - headless chicken - and now he hasn't even got that

Thorne - just an OK player, nothing more, if he was any better he would be sat on the treatment table at a good prmier league side

Keogh - over rated by half the crowd

Sturridge - first touch of a dry stone wall with a trampoline strapped to it

4 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Dele Alli , goes missing for Spurs far too often , his career seems to have stalled

Agree with this 100x. Dele is a strange one, his goal record is really good but when I watch him, I wouldn’t say his general play is outstanding and is often very poor with his final ball especially if you compare him to eriksen.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Hugo Lloris. Been dreadful for some time now, makes far too many mistakes to be considered a top goal keeper.

Despite the fact he’s just won the World Cup, I get where you’re coming from with this. Seems to have a mistake in him recently.

Also his drink driving didn’t help his case 

Archived