V Swansea (h) match thread

RiddingsRam

Couldn't see a match thread so I thought I'd take over the baton. Still disappointed (and tired((damn a50)) I thought I'd strike while the irons hot and move on. 

After 3 disappointing performances I think it's time for a tweak in shape , not the philosophy just the shape a tad.  We seem to be struggling in wide area both defensively and creating in the final third so for that reason a change to 3-5-2 ish would benefit us .

Carson 

Wisdom   Keogh.   Tomori 

Bogle.              Huddlestone.       Malone

Mount.          Holmes 

Waghorn.    Marriott 

Get someone in and around Marriott with a bit of presence , doesn't compromise the midfield , keeps the width but will allow more defensive cover . 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

Carson 

Wisdom   Keogh.   Tomori 

Mount.          Holmes 

Waghorn.    Marriott 

This would be my team, except Wilson in for Holmes.

I would expect us to stick with 4-3-3 with Waghorn returning on the right and Wilson moving into the middle instead of Bryson.

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

This would be my team, except Wilson in for Holmes.

I would expect us to stick with 4-3-3 with Waghorn returning on the right and Wilson moving into the middle instead of Bryson.

Fully fit I agree but I thought he looked a bit tired last night , maybe use him as an impact sub if needed .

Will be 4-3-3 ....Wisdom back for Bogle you need to give Andre more game time to get him up to speed not expect him to be there with no games for six to eight weeks.Remember under Mac it was always one full back pushing on at once normally Fozzy... Wisdom is a defender first and foremost let him do what his strength is.

Also Lawrence our best player last night does not deserve to be dropped so 

Carson

Wisdom.   Keogh.    Tomori.      Malone

Huddlestone

Wilson.                 Mount

Waghorn.           Marriott.          Lawrence

With Johnson suspended should be the more match fit Thorne on the bench but it will be the unready Evans.

27 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Carson

Wisdom.   Keogh.    Tomori.      Malone

Huddlestone

Wilson.                 Mount

Waghorn.           Marriott.          Lawrence

That’s the team I’m expecting unless we pick up any injuries between now and Saturday, although Bogle keeping his place wouldn’t be a huge surprise. Wisdom didn’t really show why he should be starting against Wednesday. 

Wisdom is too risky to put in with how he's played under Lampard. His best game came in one of the friendlies when he played CB for 45 minutes. 

Other than that I like that team. I can't figure out what Waghorn adds but it's noticeable when he's missing. 

2 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Couldn't see a match thread so I thought I'd take over the baton. Still disappointed (and tired((damn a50)) I thought I'd strike while the irons hot and move on. 

After 3 disappointing performances I think it's time for a tweak in shape , not the philosophy just the shape a tad.  We seem to be struggling in wide area both defensively and creating in the final third so for that reason a change to 3-5-2 ish would benefit us .

Carson 

Wisdom   Keogh.   Tomori 

Mount.          Holmes 

Waghorn.    Marriott 

Get someone in and around Marriott with a bit of presence , doesn't compromise the midfield , keeps the width but will allow more defensive cover . 

Might be a bit too attacking, 3 at the back might be an option though but don’t think Frank will do that?

I’d go with;

Carson

Bogle        Keogh        Tomori       Malone

Wilson     Huddlestone    Mount 

Waghorn     Marriott     Lawrence 

subs

Roos, Evans, Holmes, Bryson, Pearce, Nugent, Jozefzoon 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Second I am not sure what Waghorn has done to be so many people's first choice. Not sure he has set the world on fire so far.....

I agree he hasn't but the Sheff United/WBA/Boro period of games where we looked the best we have all year (as a team) he played his part without being overly memorable. Is it balance he brings? I dunno. 

11 hours ago, DCFC1976 said:

Carson

Bogle        Keogh        Tomori       Malone

Wilson     Huddlestone    Mount 

Waghorn     Marriott     Lawrence

That's our best 11. This team are capable of beating anyone.

Waghorn is the key to my mind. Swansea will be inclined to play more football than Stoke and I don't see it being niggly a game. Hopefully we can keep our composure, grab a foothold and play our football. I like @DCFC1976's line up.

Carson

Bogle     Keogh    Tomori     Malone

Huddlestone

Wilson    Mount 

Waghorn    Marriott    Lawrence

There are some provisos however – the back four have to stand up and cut out the unforced errors. We need the fullbacks to work harder to prevent crosses, we need Tricky Ricky and Fikayo on their mettle and on their man. The lapses in concentration must stop. And Scott needs to get the insurance claim sorted and get his head in the game. He’s one of the first names on the sheet when in form and we need that player back. There are goals in this team no bother but that’s seldom going to count if we keep gifting the oppo a goal or two a game. 

On a general note, teams are going to try to knock us of our stride – we know that now, so we have simply got to toughen a bit and not react. It always seems to be us who get punished when it goes off so we really need to keep a lid on things. We need to press consistently too and work harder off the ball.

As to the benefits of this set up, they are principally a more central Harry Wilson where he can be more involved and has shown his best form and another physical presence in Waghorn, who also puts in a proper shift defensively and is a goalscorer too. I’m also really keen to see young George Evans given a chance. Some will call it fanciful, but I’ve a hunch he’s a proper footballer in the George Thorne mould.  

COYR

With Bogle struggling and Wisdom horrendously out of form, is it time to try another option at right back?

Craig Bryson for example?

We need more steel and Bryson has the experience to play it simple. We have enough wingers and don't need a marauding full back as much as we do a defensive one.

Archived