V Swansea (h) match thread

RiddingsRam

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

Is Thorne suspended? His match ban would have been Stoke wouldn't it?

9 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Academic re George's ban as Frank n Jody don't fancy him ?

We really miss a fit and functioning George Thorne, he would have made a massive difference against Stoke IMO.

I saw him playing for the U23’s on Monday night and thought that he looked fit and mobile, he really did control the game until he was sent off. George Evans on the other hand looked very average.

Huddlestone - not mobile enough, Evans - not fit enough, Johnson - not good enough. Thorne is the obvious choice at CDM for me, maybe there are financial  implications, perhaps Thorne has fallen out with the management team but this is costing us ATM.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Will be 4-3-3 ....Wisdom back for Bogle you need to give Andre more game time to get him up to speed not expect him to be there with no games for six to eight weeks.Remember under Mac it was always one full back pushing on at once normally Fozzy... Wisdom is a defender first and foremost let him do what his strength is.

Also Lawrence our best player last night does not deserve to be dropped so 

Carson

Wisdom.   Keogh.    Tomori.      Malone

Huddlestone

Wilson.                 Mount

Waghorn.           Marriott.          Lawrence

With Johnson suspended should be the more match fit Thorne on the bench but it will be the unready Evans.

Would have been my selection as well. If Wilson is looking a bit tired then maybe start with Bryson offering a bridge between Huddlestone and Mount, with Wilson coming on later in the game? If Wilson is fine to play the whole 90 then same team as above.

28 minutes ago, chadlad said:

We really miss a fit and functioning George Thorne, he would have made a massive difference against Stoke IMO.

I saw him playing for the U23’s on Monday night and thought that he looked fit and mobile, he really did control the game until he was sent off. George Evans on the other hand looked very average.

Huddlestone - not mobile enough, Evans - not fit enough, Johnson - not good enough. Thorne is the obvious choice at CDM for me, maybe there are financial  implications, perhaps Thorne has fallen out with the management team but this is costing us ATM.

Have to say i agree and don't really see what Frank has got to lose (apart from 1 match) in giving George a go given Evans is not fit and Bradley looks like he may be banned for a few matches. We cannot keep going just with Tommy H.

If it doesn't work out then so be it, case proved and we all move on.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

With Bogle struggling and Wisdom horrendously out of form, is it time to try another option at right back?

Craig Bryson for example?

We need more steel and Bryson has the experience to play it simple. We have enough wingers and don't need a marauding full back as much as we do a defensive one.

Oh lord no, not Bryson. I get the point that neither of the right backs are working that well but na, I think CB there would be suicidal and I'm a Bryso fan boy. 

I'd be more inclined to try Tomori there and bring in Pearce. 

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Oh lord no, not Bryson. I get the point that neither of the right backs are working that well but na, I think CB there would be suicidal and I'm a Bryso fan boy. 

I'd be more inclined to try Tomori there and bring in Pearce. 

Or Keogh across and drop Pearce or Huddlestone in there.

I like the idea of a 352. But if Lampard didn't play that when he's had Davies, Wisdom and Pearce waiting in the wings. I can't see him start now.

I would like to see Wisdom get a run of games. Absolute madness to go from not being in the squad, to starting a game and then not being in the squad the next game. How's he supposed to do well? 

Bogle is struggling for me. Teams are targeting him as the weak link of that back 4. He needs to come out the team for a couple of games. Give Wisdom a go and see how he does. 

I can't see Evans starting tomorrow with Lampard saying he could do with another U23 game. We'll know if he'll be on the bench or not though cos if not he'll play for the U23s tonight. 

Didn't think Bryson offered anything on Wednesday.

I'd go with:-

Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Tomori, Malone, Huddlestone, Mount, Wilson, Waghorn, Lawrence, Marriott.

But I tried to predict the line up on Wednesday night and was nowhere near. So god knows what Lampard will pick. 

On Wednesday, I was shocked Johnson started, surprised that Waghorn and Jozefzoon didn't start, surprised Bryson played in midfield over Wilson and puzzled as to why Wisdom and Holmes had been dropped completely.

given we are looking short of proper defenders at the mo - the nightmare is picking up another injury at the back - maybe its a good idea to give Pearce some game time ?  If SM was to pick up something or RK or TF - we are going to need him ? 

Wet heavy pitches promote injuries or am I wrong ? 

11 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I agree he hasn't but the Sheff United/WBA/Boro period of games where we looked the best we have all year (as a team) he played his part without being overly memorable. Is it balance he brings? I dunno. 

This - I think we look so much more balanced when we have Waggy in the side. I'd also like to see Wilson play more centrally as I think he's better there. Very much like the look of @Millenniumram's team - so I'd go

Carson

Bogle Keogh Tomori Malone

Huddlestone

Mount Wilson 

Waghorn Marriott Josefzoon

Tough call on the Josefzoon/Lawrence as I think both of them deserve the start, Zoon looked bright at Sheffield but Lawrence was one of our best at Stoke.

Lots of posts r.e. Bogle or Wisdom - I'd personally stick with Bogle, think he offers more in the way of attacking. Also Thorne - I haven't watched the U23's but reading good things on here about him - perhaps a 70 minute sub if we're doing well; love Tommy H but don't think we can rely on him all the time so would be good to have another firing CDM in Thorne if we can.

COYR

1 hour ago, chadlad said:

I don't think Thorne is more mobile than Huddlestone and his passing and defensive work is not as effective.

That's why he's in the reserves.

22 hours ago, Alpha said:

Wisdom is too risky to put in with how he's played under Lampard. His best game came in one of the friendlies when he played CB for 45 minutes. 

Other than that I like that team. I can't figure out what Waghorn adds but it's noticeable when he's missing. 

I agree. I’ve got a sense that Waghorn is the front end power/strength that we have been missing. Fitness is obviously an issue but you can see how he moves and the touch he has. Get him on song and it could be the difference. I don’t want to disrupt Marriots form and what he brings but if Waghorn was a bit closer to him then some positive sparks might fly. 

37 minutes ago, jono said:

I agree. I’ve got a sense that Waghorn is the front end power/strength that we have been missing. Fitness is obviously an issue but you can see how he moves and the touch he has. Get him on song and it could be the difference. I don’t want to disrupt Marriots form and what he brings but if Waghorn was a bit closer to him then some positive sparks might fly. 

If he's fit he should be in the team. I like him a lot. Either wide with a brief to get to Marriott when he can in support and an attacking full back on his side or up front if JM isn't available. Not sure if we can manage a 2 up system at present though. 

I think him right Lawrence left, Wilson and Mount attacking midfield doesn't make the most of foghorn Waghorn, but does give the team the best balance and a bit of bite in attack. 

10 hours ago, 86 points said:

Waghorn is the key to my mind. Swansea will be inclined to play more football than Stoke and I don't see it being niggly a game. Hopefully we can keep our composure, grab a foothold and play our football. I like @DCFC1976's line up.

Carson

Bogle     Keogh    Tomori     Malone

Huddlestone

Wilson    Mount 

Waghorn    Marriott    Lawrence

There are some provisos however – the back four have to stand up and cut out the unforced errors. We need the fullbacks to work harder to prevent crosses, we need Tricky Ricky and Fikayo on their mettle and on their man. The lapses in concentration must stop. And Scott needs to get the insurance claim sorted and get his head in the game. He’s one of the first names on the sheet when in form and we need that player back. There are goals in this team no bother but that’s seldom going to count if we keep gifting the oppo a goal or two a game. 

On a general note, teams are going to try to knock us of our stride – we know that now, so we have simply got to toughen a bit and not react. It always seems to be us who get punished when it goes off so we really need to keep a lid on things. We need to press consistently too and work harder off the ball.

As to the benefits of this set up, they are principally a more central Harry Wilson where he can be more involved and has shown his best form and another physical presence in Waghorn, who also puts in a proper shift defensively and is a goalscorer too. I’m also really keen to see young George Evans given a chance. Some will call it fanciful, but I’ve a hunch he’s a proper footballer in the George Thorne mould.  

COYR

As you say the defence needs to cut out the mistakes but I think with Tomori and Keogh as centre half’s they can push up the field more because they can recover with their pace. When we went on the good run against WBA, Boro etc. we were winning the ball back on the half way line a lot and keeping the pressure on. As good a defender as Davies is and quality professional/captain we do tend to drop of as a team because of his lack of pace. In last seasons team where we were defending on our 18 yard box he was quality.

With the quick turn over of the ball in midfield Mount & Wilson really come into their own with their intelligence and technique.

Just now, DCFC1976 said:

As you say the defence needs to cut out the mistakes but I think with Tomori and Keogh as centre half’s they can push up the field more because they can recover with their pace. When we went on the good run against WBA, Boro etc. we were winning the ball back on the half way line a lot and keeping the pressure on. As good a defender as Davies is and quality professional/captain we do tend to drop of as a team because of his lack of pace. In last seasons team where we were defending on our 18 yard box he was quality.

With the quick turn over of the ball in midfield Mount & Wilson really come into their own with their intelligence and technique.

Just realised I should have started the last reply with “like you say...” ?

3 hours ago, chadlad said:

I'm still at a slight loss as to Frank's antipathy towards George,other than in respect of his early season fitness.

He's a superb passer of the ball,has outstanding vision on the pitch and far,far more mobile than hudders.

I know that lamps had to pick a squad earlier in the season but surely that will be reconsidered as it progresses.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I don't think Thorne is more mobile than Huddlestone and his passing and defensive work is not as effective.

That's why he's in the reserves.

Just my opinion based upon Thorne’s showing on Monday night. He seemed to be moving and turning well and looked half a yard quicker having watched the game live (played just down the road from me). He has the ability to control a game and to keep the ball and dictate the pace all of the things that we were lacking on Wednesday night.

Don’t get me wrong I like Tom, he just lacks a lot of mobility, the opposition just seem to run past him at times. On the other hand George looks fitter than I have seen him since he broke his leg. I would have thought he has both the fitness and the ability but perhaps Frank and Jody disagree...

49 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Just my opinion based upon Thorne’s showing on Monday night. He seemed to be moving and turning well and looked half a yard quicker having watched the game live (played just down the road from me). He has the ability to control a game and to keep the ball and dictate the pace all of the things that we were lacking on Wednesday night.

Don’t get me wrong I like Tom, he just lacks a lot of mobility, the opposition just seem to run past him at times. On the other hand George looks fitter than I have seen him since he broke his leg. I would have thought he has both the fitness and the ability but perhaps Frank and Jody disagree...

Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, George Thorne a few years back was a joy to behold.

Archived