Derby County v Birmingham City Match Thread.

AmericanRam

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Leggy? He's started 4 games! Not sure what match you was watching but it was a different one to me. Huddlestone controlled the midfield pretty much start to finish.

Agree that Johnson was unlucky to find himself out of the team but the performances since the change vindicate the decision.

Just before this gets translated into a Huddlestone witch hunt , it really is not I'm one of his biggest fans and have reflected this in my previous posts.

He made a few nice passes last night but he far from controlled the midfield. Not like he did at West Brom he was a colossus that game, simply a suggestion that a bit of rotation without weakening the team may  be sensible.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 86 points said:

Hallelujah! I think Frank has made it pretty clear that as long as the incumbents are playing well, they will retain their starter's slot and rightly so IMO. What message does it send to drop a player who is giving 100% every time they step out onto the pitch anyway? Chopping and changing a team in form makes no sense unless players are clearly in need of a rest. As and when players are so leggy that a rest is enforced I'm sure it will not go unnoticed. Until such time, let's continue to reward those doing well. Anything else would be madness.  

Why did Johnson get dropped then ? Just saying.

7 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

All day ! He's fantastic on the right in a front three . Sort of a wide target man. I'd go 

Carson 

Bogle.     Tomori.          Davies.     Malone 

Huddlestone

Mount.                          Wilson. 

Waghorn.                                      Holmes

Marriott.  

Harsh on Keogh I know I might get pelters but Davies is too good to keep sitting on the bench he's by far the best defensive player we have in our sqaud. Also Holmes in for Lawrence , Lawrence has pulled no trees up for me and everyone's had a fair crack of the whip and why not give Holmes a go out there , from the little I've seen of him he looks a good little player. Also kind of tempted to bring Johnson back in for Huddlestone ?? 

Shows how differently people can view games, personally have thought Lawrence has been immense last 4 games since coming back in and would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. 

Only player I'd change would be Malone, and that would be purely through fatigue. Looked like he was running on fumes at the very start of the second half, which is no surprise considering how much ground he covers up and down the left.

Edit - Also a different kind of game against Brum. Fozzies crossing ability could be really useful in breaking down the bus they're going to ineivitably park.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Yet another clueless post from you. You keep sticking the knife into Keogh at every opportunity - doesn't the fact that successive managers keep picking him suggest your criticism of him is totally loopy?

Lets address the basic details here rather than talking about what our previous unsuccessful managers did . Is Keogh a better defender than Tomori and Davies ? No. Is Davies the captain of DCFC ? Yes .Has Keogh made so many mistakes that about 15 goals could have been conceded of his  mistakes alone so far this season? Yes, for example against West Brom he lost the ball on the edge of the box  but Rodriguez didn't punish his mistake, against Reading he made about 3 errors that should have led to goals, against Man U he lost the ball stupidly when he was last man only for Tomori to bail him out by putting off Lukaku and forcing him to miss.  Against Chelsea he scored a brilliant finish into his own net and also allowed Cahill to have a free header from a corner when he was supposed to be marking him.  There are so many other examples but I don't want to be typing all day.  To be fair to him he has put in some good performances such as against Sheffield united and I thought he was pretty good against Boro and Preston as well , but the best defenders are the solid and reliable ones Davies makes far less errors and is much stronger and better in the air.  Next Question , have previous managers built a defensive unit that have consistently been solid and reliable throughout hard times and poor runs as well as win streaks? hell No , Keogh has been shambolic when the going gets tough over many years see Sunderland and Burton last season . Davies and Tomori haven't had time to gel as a partnership , our best defenders need to play , Davies and Tomori  could be that solid partnership that we need . Keogh has been a big  part of shambolic defensive performances in our post January disasters , Davies didn't do too much wrong last season so why Keogh should be playing over him just baffles me. 

overall, I don't agree that me preferring a solid defender to an inconsistent defender who makes some very bad mistakes is a clueless opinion, as one of the most important attributes for a defender is to be consistently solid.

"...Has Keogh made so many mistakes that about 15 goals could have been conceded of his  mistakes alone so far this season? Yes..."

So, about the same number of goals he could have scored if he had got on the end of 15 crosses/corners/free kicks, and headed them past the oppo keeper into the net?

Coulda woulda shoulda!!  

The only thing worthy of praise from that that sentence is that you put "could have", and not "could of"!!

EDIT:

... although you did put "of" instead of "off", but that's far less traumatic for me!  

If we don't have any injuries: Carson; Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone; Huddlestone, Wilson, Mount; Waghorn, Marriott, Lawrence. 

If we have fitness issues, which is simply impossible for us to know, we should switch accordingly. For me, every single player in that 11 has earned their right to start the next game. 

48 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Why did Johnson get dropped then ? Just saying.

Presumably because Huddz was showing enough to warrant a starting slot. I'm not saying there are absolutes and I'm a Bradders fanboy but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and Huddz has been MOTM or thereabouts in every game since his return to the side. Let me ask you a question - since you're concerned that Bradders was dropped, how would it make any sense in your mind to drop Tom now, applying your own logic? He's the standout player right now, surely, well him and young Jack?

5 hours ago, Mountain Ram said:

Only one downer for me is the £38 it’s cost me for a ticket... £38!!! Come on Derby, we’re playing Birmingham City, not Bayern Munich - save these prices for a couple of seasons time when we’re in the Champs League! Surely we want to get as many people in the ground as possible to push the lads on, but at these prices there’s going to be a fair few empty seats; I know it’s making me think about when I’ll be able to go again next.

Yeah, I really don’t understand the high prices for the Brum match. We were going to get a ticket for my husband, but we can get him one for the following match against Villa for only £20 instead. ?‍♀️

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Presumably because Huddz was showing enough to warrant a starting slot. I'm not saying there are absolutes and I'm a Bradders fanboy but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and Huddz has been MOTM or thereabouts in every game since his return to the side. Let me ask you a question - since you're concerned that Bradders was dropped, how would it make any sense in your mind to drop Tom now, applying your own logic? He's the standout player right now, surely, well him and young Jack?

I noticed Frank made it pretty clear that how players trained had a big influence on his team selection in a recent interview.

Seeing as Frank probably sees 2/3 training sessions for each match he's in charge of, it's seems a fair enough way to rate players against each other.

40 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Lets address the basic details here rather than talking about what our previous unsuccessful managers did . Is Keogh a better defender than Tomori and Davies ? No. Is Davies the captain of DCFC ? Yes .Has Keogh made so many mistakes that about 15 goals could have been conceded of his  mistakes alone so far this season? Yes, for example against West Brom he lost the ball on the edge of the box  but Rodriguez didn't punish his mistake, against Reading he made about 3 errors that should have led to goals, against Man U he lost the ball stupidly when he was last man only for Tomori to bail him out by putting off Lukaku and forcing him to miss.  Against Chelsea he scored a brilliant finish into his own net and also allowed Cahill to have a free header from a corner when he was supposed to be marking him.  There are so many other examples but I don't want to be typing all day.  To be fair to him he has put in some good performances such as against Sheffield united and I thought he was pretty good against Boro and Preston as well , but the best defenders are the solid and reliable ones Davies makes far less errors and is much stronger and better in the air.  Next Question , have previous managers built a defensive unit that have consistently been solid and reliable throughout hard times and poor runs as well as win streaks? hell No , Keogh has been shambolic when the going gets tough over many years see Sunderland and Burton last season . Davies and Tomori haven't had time to gel as a partnership , our best defenders need to play , Davies and Tomori  could be that solid partnership that we need . Keogh has been a big  part of shambolic defensive performances in our post January disasters , Davies didn't do too much wrong last season so why Keogh should be playing over him just baffles me. 

overall, I don't agree that me preferring a solid defender to an inconsistent defender who makes some very bad mistakes is a clueless opinion, as one of the most important attributes for a defender is to be consistently solid.

Is Keogh a better defender than Tomori. Yes in my opinion. 

Following your analysis of all the chances that Keogh gave away, it's only fair that you now do the same for Tomori...

I'd like to see Davies return to the fore. Keogh has played very well in his absence but Davies is by far our best defender for me & we concede far too much. It's the biggest reason for our inconsistency.

I'd also be tempted to rest Tom after playing 4 straight high intensity games in 2 weeks. A 5th straight one is a big ask. He's our best player but we need to manage his minutes so he can last the entire season.

Forsyth for Malone is the last change I'd make.

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

I wouldn't imagine Huddlestone is a confidence player these days as he knows his game inside out "resting " him not "dropping" him for a game could be a shrewd move to get him through the season playing in the majority of games . 

9 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I agree we probably need to rotate a few players, it seems at the minute on this forum if you say someone should be dropped or even rested you get hounded out like you have just said Lampard is a terrible manager.

Can we rotate you out for a few games?

I can see Fozzy, Davies, Johnson and poss Tomori in Bogles position, the reason - we don't want another Bolton 

scenario. I'd play Josefzoon for the first 60 as well, poss why I'm not a football manager LOL

Bogle Malone Hudz and Waghorne a rest until the Villa match and a chance to increase the goal difference?

We'll still have enough for Brum, even thou they are the form team.

Archived