Derby County v Birmingham City Match Thread.

AmericanRam

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That midfield looks very lightweight to me. Holmes a masssive gamble in such an important game.

Not sure this is the time for this....Realise Frank wants to get Curtis back in the fold and give Holmes a chance but in truth would have preferred if he had done it against Chelsea...

????

4 minutes ago, caymanram said:

That midfield looks very lightweight to me. Holmes a masssive gamble in such an important game.

Not sure this is the time for this....Realise Frank wants to get Curtis back in the fold and give Holmes a chance but in truth would have preferred if he had done it against Chelsea...

????

Davies coming in for this game makes tons of sense. We will lose something on the ground but there will be a huge amount of aerial battling with Jutkiewicz, for which Davies is the far superior option to Tomori.

Holmes is next in line for that position after Mount. Mount can't play, forced change.

The rotation of Forsyth and Malone is sensible and should be continued to keep them fresh.

Nothing very controversial about this lineup at all.

10 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Looking forward to seeing Holmes given a chance and Davies’ return.

Both Holmes annd Davies will be desperate to keep the shirt now they've finally got the chance to start. Of course Davies is an ex Blue Nose so would have been especially keen to start against his old club.

Holmes has done well in all his cameos and is very much like-for-like with Mount, so I see the sense in sticking to our style.

Meanwhile it's big Tom Huddlestone's 150 game for Derby! Let's hope he bags a goal to celebrate.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Is the Birmingham threat mainly from the air? Let's hope Frank has seen what he needs to see in training and has picked his side accordingly. I'm not sure how any of us can presume to know any better.

It is, yeah. Well at least in the air to Jutkiewicz, I assume after he's won the header they are able to pass it around.

He wins, on average, 12 aerials per game. Highest overall rated player in the league so far on whoscored too.

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Davies coming in for this game makes tons of sense. We will lose something on the ground but there will be a huge amount of aerial battling with Jutkiewicz, for which Davies is the far superior option to Tomori.

Holmes is next in line for that position after Mount. Mount can't play, forced change.

The rotation of Forsyth and Malone is sensible and should be continued to keep them fresh.

Nothing very controversial about this lineup at all.

But Holmes is a completely different type of player to Mount and plays in a different position. Not even been on the bench most games. Plus he’s not really a good tackler .Massive  gamble I fear.

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Is the Birmingham threat mainly from the air? Let's hope Frank has seen what he needs to see in training and has picked his side accordingly. I'm not sure how any of us can presume to know any better.

Not only. Adams is a dangerous one and has quick feet. More like a classic, complementary partnership with Jutkiewiz and Che Adams.

1 minute ago, caymanram said:

But Holmes is a completely different type of player to Mount and plays in a different position. Not even been on the bench most games. Plus he’s not really a good tackler .Massive  gamble I fear.

Have we been watching different games? I see them as really similar players both vying for the same position! 

Just now, caymanram said:

It all comes down to energy. There needs to be two fast, energetic players in those advanced midfield roles to ensure that the press is effective. Johnson isn't mobile enough to play that role effectively and it's why we've gone Bryson -> Wilson and now Mount -> Holmes.

Plus I'm pretty confident this is the reason we brought Holmes in, to mould him into this midfield role.

7 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Mount is gonna be a big miss for sure. A tricky fixture just got trickier. Having said that I still think we have enough in the tank to claim all 3pts. If we play with the same intensity as the last few games we'll be celebrating come 5pm. COYR.

Correct. For me, if Marriot scores today and carries on where he left off on Wednesday, we have a new “ Hector! 1-0” on our hands”.

#maybe1pinttomany. 

13 minutes ago, caymanram said:

I agree with you here. I assumed Lawrence will be playing in Mounts role, as he has done well there in the past. With Holmes to play on the wing. Wouldnt have thought Holmes will be in the middle.

Archived