V QPR (A) Match Thread

Millenniumram

7th place, outside top 6 on goal difference despite going through a huge transition. Not bad if you ask me. 

We didn’t play badly against Bolton, Norwich or today. Although we are capable of much better,  they were still levels of performance that would win matches on other occasions this season. There isn’t a lot wrong, I genuinely don’t think we’re that far away. Still tweaking to find the best formula.

Im just baffled that we’ve been in the championship for 15 of the past 16 seasons yet people still get wound up oh if we don’t beat these sort of teams we have no chance of doing anything?! It’s the championship!!!! Everyone beats everyone!

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Matlock Old Ram said:

Sorry to say but can’t see CM being the answer. He was pretty poor for Hull today and didn’t put in a performance according to their fans. Guess we’ve seen the best of him so time to move on

But if you read his interview in a Hull rag he's still not match fit, has only played 3 (?) 90 minutes in many months. Watching the previous game Hull aren't likely to set the league alight either. Can't see why Lampard wouldn't consider a fit Martin. All this pace crap gets on my nerves.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Plus if you read his interview in a Hull rag he's still not match fit. Watching the previous game Hull aren't likely to set the league alight either. Can't see why Lampard wouldn't consider a fit Martin. All this pace crap gets on my nerves.

Especially with Nugent wasting energy all over the place. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But if you read his interview in a Hull rag he's still not match fit, has only played 3 (?) 90 minutes in many months. Watching the previous game Hull aren't likely to set the league alight either. Can't see why Lampard wouldn't consider a fit Martin. All this pace crap gets on my nerves.

Pace isn’t a bad thing though. Liverpool and Man City are doing excellent in the premier league and one of the reasons for that is because their forwards are rapid. The problem is where you have too many of them players but they lack intelligence or vice versa where you have too many intelligent players but lack any pace to stretch teams which makes it easy to defend against as it’s predictable. The best teams and certainly when we were at our best had a mixture of both.

Just now, McLovin said:

Pace isn’t a bad thing though...The best teams and certainly when we were at our best had a mixture of both.

Indeed. A balance of some sort is what this team seems to lack. Still think the reality of managing is still to be dealt with by FL & JM. And they've certainly got a 'free season' I reckon. Not sure what a realistic aim should be this season.

Not a free kick.

Then the curse of the modern keeper. Parrying the ball and gambling that the defence will deal with the second ball.

a 70s keeper would have caught it.

I looked at our bench today at HT the lads were having a knock about,  Huddlestone,Wilson,Waghorn,Malone,Davies,Nugent is a very decent bench and players that can change things, I think it was right to leave Bennett out today and also think Holmes can play a part but in the last 15 mins Huddlestone looked class and do think we have to use him more.

We were attacking them with Hudds,Mount,Bryson,Wilson,Waghorn and Marriott and i did think, that is quite a decent 6

As much as Brysons done well and he runs past defenders causing gaps I'd like to see Johnson ( who i thought was impressive today ) Huddlestone and Mount  given a go in away games as I think Hudds will give us more control in midfield

2 minutes ago, Saity said:

I looked at our bench today at HT the lads were having a knock about,  Huddlestone,Wilson,Waghorn,Malone,Davies,Nugent is a very decent bench and players that can change things, I think it was right to leave Bennett out today and also think Holmes can play a part but in the last 15 mins Huddlestone looked class and do think we have to use him more.

We were attacking them with Hudds,Mount,Bryson,Wilson,Waghorn and Marriott and i did think, that is quite a decent 6

As much as Brysons done well and he runs past defenders causing gaps I'd like to see Johnson ( who i thought was impressive today ) Huddlestone and Mount  given a go in away games as I think Hudds will give us more control in midfield

Interesting idea. That midfield would certainly be an option to consider for tough away games.

9 minutes ago, Saity said:

It doesnt matter how good the bench looks and halftime kick arounds are ?

We try those 3 v rotherham didnt control and lost. I cannot see Huddlestone starting in this system he's to slow. 

The ref was woeful for us today and not great for them either. But did incorrectly give them the free kick which led to their goal. Apologies to those around me for the unsavoury language.

We looked ok all game and if we were a ruthless team or created better chances from promising positions, we’d have cruised home. They had their good moments too but aren’t anything special. Championship cannon fodder to in form teams.

Our style at times was slick but we don’t create many clean cut chances. Our best chance was tucked home with aplomb - Bobby esque.

A work in progress with promising signs. If we click this season, we’ll be going up. 

BTW - Keogh was fantastic and Bradley immense at times too. 

But no bad performers though, regardless of some sloppy play.

Onwards and upwards.

Anyway, could be worse... a load of toon fans just got on my train at York. I thought ‘here we go’ but not a peep out of em. Owd Jose has sobered em up. I mean, who doesn’t beat ManU these days? hehe!

Left the house at 6:30 this morning and will get back in the early hours of tomorrow.

Be good.

COYR

I enjoyed the game, two teams trying to attack and win. QPR have improved a lot under Mac and for people dismissively to say "we should be beating the likes of these" - I'd like to ask why? They had the best player on the pitch in Eze and over the 90 mins a draw was fair, even if we did start piling it on in the final 20.

Some positives - Johnson was excellent and seems to be turning into a playmaker. Marriott looked very good as well. Keogh had another really good game. Wilson did well when he came on.

Negatives - The lack of creativity from wide is concerning. Bennett was dropped as he didn't provide any, Josefzoon was even worse. Lawrence is infuriating, did some good things but then undoes them with a wrong final decision too often. Bogle and Forsyth offered nothing offensively.  Mount looked tired and nothing came off for him, Bogle also struggled; far too many crosses coming in from his side.

But I think a point away at Loftus Road wasn't a bad thing. The other thing it reminded of was why it was such a good idea to knock the Baseball Ground down. It's a complete health/safety hazard.

16 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

It doesnt matter how good the bench looks and halftime kick arounds are ?

We try those 3 v rotherham didnt control and lost. I cannot see Huddlestone starting in this system he's to slow. 

Huddlestone is a very good footballer and different to Bryson in away games sometimes it is horses for courses and what we are lacking IMO is control in the middle of the park , Huddlestone is not quick no but he can open up teams with his passing so its an option. I don't think we have enough control and today he looked good when he came on, I don't think that Bryson,Mount and Johnson can play week in week out without dips in form or energy so we need other options 

I was at the game today and I thought we played pretty well overall  and a nearly good enough to challenge but just lacked some quality in the final third, marriot was good and I hope he keeps his place now . We lacked a bit of control in the middle of the park and I thought Huddlestone made a good impact when he came on and helped add some much needed composure to a game that was an end to end pinball style game at times. I would like to see us try 442 against teams who sit deep against us, I think Marriot and Waghorn as a partnership would work well and would allow to play more fast and direct and have more options in the final third.

I would like to see us try a 442 with the following players at some point against teams who sit deep but not teams like Sheffield united who will go at us:

Carson

Bogle Davies Tomori Malone

Jozefoon Mount Johnson Wilson

Marriot Waghorn

for the harder games such as the next few I'd for the usual 433.

5 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I was at the game today and I thought we played pretty well overall  and a nearly good enough to challenge but just lacked some quality in the final third, marriot was good and I hope he keeps his place now . We lacked a bit of control in the middle of the park and I thought Huddlestone made a good impact when he came on and helped add some much needed composure to a game that was an end to end pinball style game at times. I would like to see us try 442 against teams who sit deep against us, I think Marriot and Waghorn as a partnership would work well and would allow to play more fast and direct and have more options in the final third.

I would like to see us try a 442 with the following players at some point against teams who sit deep but not teams like Sheffield united who will go at us:

Carson

Bogle Davies Tomori Malone

Jozefoon Mount Johnson Wilson

Marriot Waghorn

for the harder games such as the next few I'd for the usual 433.

I think Marriott and Waghorn would be a proper handful 

What I took from yesterday's game was confirmation that we have some great precocious talent in our team but that at our core we are flaky.

Keogh and Tomori are good players in some areas of their game but are not a partnership.

Keogh should be fined £100 every time he passes back to Carson. It's embarrassing that a player with a massive expanse of football pitch ahead can do nothing more inventive than turn backwards and give exactly the same view to someone 20 yards behind him.

We are very poor in the air. Bogle, Tomor, Bryson, Mount, Wilson - never likelyrics to win a duel.

Every time they had a cross my heart was in my mouth. Lord only knows why McClaren didn't bring Smith on earlier. He would have murdered us.

The balance in midfield isn't right. Johnson works hard and wins battles but struggles with passing. Mount is the luxury player who can be creative but can't tackle and Bryson is a midfield Nugent who runs around a lot without really achieving much.

Wilson is our best wide man  Marriott looks the part but needs players around him. Waghorn looks low on confidence and needs some starts.

We badly need a midfield three that works together and sadly this may have to wait til January.

My team?

Carson

Tomori         Davies      Keogh     Forsyth

Huddlestone

Mount            Johnson

Waghorn         Marriott       Wilson

We are so bad in the air I nearly picked Pearce over Keogh but deferred to a partnership which worked quite well last year.

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Not a free kick.

Then the curse of the modern keeper. Parrying the ball and gambling that the defence will deal with the second ball.

a 70s keeper would have caught it.

This is something that drives me mad. I rate Carson very highly but how often does he catch the ball? Hardly ever, a keeper like him would have not even been ranked as a good keeper 40 years ago. keepers like Shilton, Poom would be plucking balls which Carson palms away out of the air and holding them.

I also think Carson stays on his line to much. 

Despite this he is still one of the best around and for a couple of seasons we would have struggled without him keeping us in games.  

Archived