v Hull City (A) Match Thread

Derby blood

As I’m on break at work and bored, I’ll have a bash at team selection....

carson

wisdom Keogh Tomori forsyth

Ledley

johnson mount

josefzoon Nugent waghorn

thats what I’d play Saturday, not saying that’s our best 11, it’s not, but with injuries and lack of game time and who played last night and might need a rest (Huddlestone) that’s what I’d go with to start.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

As I’m on break at work and bored, I’ll have a bash at team selection....

carson

wisdom Keogh Tomori forsyth

Ledley

johnson mount

josefzoon Nugent waghorn

thats what I’d play Saturday, not saying that’s our best 11, it’s not, but with injuries and lack of game time and who played last night and might need a rest (Huddlestone) that’s what I’d go with to start.

Huddlestone is only going to get sharper by actually playing. Surely it would be better to start with him and replace him if/when he gets leggy?? He will then have the international break to recover for the next game.

For me on the Forsyth/Malone debate, I would play Forsyth, he is clearly a confidence player and has been playing well so I cant see the reason to change, plus he offers that bit of height. As for the rest of the team, I think the back 5 (having put Forsyths case forward) picks itself. Then as for the midfield and attack I think Mount is nailed on, I would have said THudd would have definitely started had he not played the full 90 last night. As for the rest, FL said how happy he was with the performance on Saturday so I cant see too many changes from that team. Lovely problem to have but a problem nonetheless.

12 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

For me on the Forsyth/Malone debate, I would play Forsyth, he is clearly a confidence player and has been playing well so I cant see the reason to change, plus he offers that bit of height. As for the rest of the team, I think the back 5 (having put Forsyths case forward) picks itself. Then as for the midfield and attack I think Mount is nailed on, I would have said THudd would have definitely started had he not played the full 90 last night. As for the rest, FL said how happy he was with the performance on Saturday so I cant see too many changes from that team. Lovely problem to have but a problem nonetheless.

Malone is 6ft 2 and has much more quality on the ball and is faster, Forsyth might start on Saturday because Malone probably won't be fit enough but after the international break I'd expect Malone to start unless Forsyth plays amazing on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Malone is 6ft 2 and has much more quality on the ball and is faster, Forsyth might start on Saturday because Malone probably won't be fit enough but after the international break I'd expect Malone to start unless Forsyth plays amazing on Saturday.

Ah apologies, for some reason I didn't think Malone was that tall. Again I suppose how the result goes on Saturday, After Saturday we will have played 6 games so should start to see the team settle down abit and the number of changes per game reduce. I hope the selection headache continues somewhat for the rest of the season as that would mean we are doing well.

48 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Huddlestone is only going to get sharper by actually playing. Surely it would be better to start with him and replace him if/when he gets leggy?? He will then have the international break to recover for the next game.

Not if he breaks down after 10 minutes and is out for another month. I don’t know the likelihood of that happening, that’s for Lampard and his team to asses, but if they were thinking of starting him Saturday I don’t he would have done the full 90 last night.

56 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I think we'll have some defending to do - I would play Fozzy.

Difficult lineup to pick this, don’t envy Lampard as there’s more players deserving of a start than positions we have on the pitch. Obviously this will be a completely different sort of game to the cup one, I’m expecting a harder game than our last two home matches so we need to be on our game, particularly defensively more than recently if we’re to get the victory we need. I’d go with:

Carson

Bogle Keogh Tomori Forsyth 

Huddlestone

Johnson Mount

Josefzoon Waghorn Lawrence 

That lineup is incredibly harsh on Bennett and Nugent but I just can’t see a way to fit them all in their natural positions. Naturally if bogle is still out then wisdom at right back, but feel Jayden deserves his place if fit.

19 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

1-3 jozefoon, Waghorn and Nugent  I reckon the team will be:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Timori Malone

Huddlestone

Mount         Johnson

Waghorn     Nugent Jozefoon

Lawrence will get back in. Maybe Waghorn central instead of Nugent and Lawrence wide 

Went last night and was really impressed with us. Although worth noting that Hull were an absolute shambles. 

They'll have better players in for Saturday so will be a harder game. 

I looked at that line up before kick off and genuinely thought that isn't far off our strongest team. Could maybe argue for Lawrence and Wilson to be in and of course Davies. 

I've never been a big fan of Johnson either. But I think that with him in starting the midfield has a much better balance and allows Mount to flourish. Johnson is stronger defensively than Bryson and as an out and out midfielder offers us more. He works hard and always wants the ball. With Bryson you just get a lot of running about. Johnson has to start on Saturday for me. 

Hard choice for Frank to choose between Malone and Forsyth. Forsyth has done well since he came back in. But for me. We've spent 3 million plus on Malone. Who evidently is a very good left back. He has to be first choice so should start for me. 

I'd stick with the same front 3 as well. They were brilliant last night. But I don't think Lampard will. 

Also. Huddlestone. Bar a couple of misplaced passes (to be expected) the lad is a rolls Royce. The midfield just looks so much better with him in it. The out balls he can play are such a big weapon. Especially with the pace on the flanks and through the middle. Really good to see him get 90 minutes and I hope he's fit enough for another 90 on Saturday. 

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Tomori Malone

Huddlestone

Johnson   Mount

Waghorn Marriott Jozefzoon

But I think Lampard will go with

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Tomori Malone

Huddlestone 

Bryson Mount 

Jozefzoon Waghorn Lawrence 

Advance warning for Saturday that there's no trains between Derby and Sheffield. It's a replacement bus to Chesterfield then train to Sheffield.

Compounding this is that Northern trains are running a limited timetable due to strike action, so only one direct train an hour from Sheffield to Hull, then only one back after the game at 6.27pm.

Carson

wisdom.    Keogh.   Tomori.     Forsyth.   Malone

.               Huddlestone.    Johnson

bennett.   Bryson.    Lawrence.   Jozefzoon 

.      Waghorn.     Marriott.    Nugent 

Archived