v Hull City (A) Match Thread

Derby blood

Right this is the thread I was after......

Rams will our roar the Tigers Sat I’m sure of that! They’re not a happy bunch at the mo, momentum building now breeding confidence. Jacks gonna start scoring soon too I know it ?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You lot are daft to be still going on about one tongue-in-cheek comment about goals masking overall contributions.

If you did some digging, you'd see that I actually like Mount, sing his name while I do the washing up, and tipped him to notch up numerous goals and assists and be our standout player.

That said, I'm not joking when I say I've been disappointed with his performance in every game I've seen (Reading, Leeds and Preston) because he hasn't done enough. But maybe I set up him to disappoint by expecting too much. The hype behind this lad is massive and maybe I've been guilty of getting sucked in, thinking he would come straight in and be some kind of Hughes and vintage Bryson hybrid.

It's great that he's scoring goals (however fortunate some of them have been) but I just imagined him to get on the ball more and be more of a influence, especially playing at Championship level.

But the midfield has been a mess since day one, so probably that is a huge contributing factor. Hopefully now with Huddlestone back in the side, we'll re-establish some control and some structure in midfield and Mount can show his more creative side.

Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Tomori, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Johnson, TNDB, Lawrence, Nugent, Bennett.

Bogle for Wisdom if he has recovered from injury, otherwise that team should be almost spot on.

I'm hoping Jozefzoon impresses again in his standard 10-15 minute cameo. He can't be much further away from getting a run of starts. He can be so much more than an impact player off the bench.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Tomori, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Johnson, TNDB, Lawrence, Nugent, Bennett.

Bogle for Wisdom if he has recovered from injury, otherwise that team should be almost spot on.

I'm hoping Jozefzoon impresses again in his standard 10-15 minute cameo. He can't be much further away from getting a run of starts. He can be so much more than an impact player off the bench.

Tomori is going to be a very key player for us this season in my opinion , he very much opens the door to three at the back if we want to change it up and I really believe he could do a very good job in holding midfield role with hudds if we wanted to firm it up in a 4 2 3 1

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think he will start, well he should do anyway he has played a lot better than Lawrence every time he has played and Bennet is n't clinical enough or good enough with his link up play compared to Waghorn to start for us going forward , so I'd like to see us play a front 3 of Jozefoon Nugent and waghorrn

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Tomori is going to be a very key player for us this season in my opinion , he very much opens the door to three at the back if we want to change it up and I really believe he could do a very good job in holding midfield role with hudds if we wanted to firm it up in a 4 2 3 1

You might be right about Tomori. Frank has certainly given him his backing with six consecutive starts since he arrived.

Personally I'd prefer Davies to go straight back in when fit. He is such a big miss.

But maybe my opinion is muddied by the fact I've only seen three games this season and Leeds at home was one of them! ?

5 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I think he will start, well he should do anyway he has played a lot better than Lawrence every time he has played and Bennet is n't clinical enough or good enough with his link up play compared to Waghorn to start for us going forward , so I'd like to see us play a front 3 of Jozefoon Nugent and waghorrn

I like Jozefzoon but the fact that he didn't start from the very first game suggests that he is going to be made to work for that place in the starting eleven. I don't think his work is done.

I'll be very surprised if Lawrence is dropped. He is one of the first names on the teamsheet and a key player for us. He is frustrating but obviously Frank thinks the best is yet to come.

The front three you've mentioned, maybe that is a front three we'll move towards in the coming months but not imminently.

If Lawrence and Bennett keep playing and we keep winning, why would Frank be moved to change it?

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You might be right about Tomori. Frank has certainly given him his backing with six consecutive starts since he arrived.

Personally I'd prefer Davies to go straight back in when fit. He is such a big miss.

But maybe my opinion is muddied by the fact I've only seen three games this season and Leeds at home was one of them! ?

Going to be very interesting once Davies is fit again 

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Going to be very interesting once Davies is fit again 

Bogle - Keogh - Davies - Forsyth

This is the back four I'd go with in the long term.

I like to see young players playing a role, but there's a fine line between being brave and being reckless. In my mind, having Tomori and one of Wisdom or Bogle in the defence week in, week out would be quite risky. 

Yes, Tomori has grabbed his opportunity with both hands, but it's really difficult to see him being consistently good enough to keep out either Keogh or Davies.

When you have two top Championship defenders in your ranks, it makes more sense to go with those safer options. Especially when they've already proven to be a strong partnership.

I think Davies brings out the best in Keogh and so the whole defence benefits.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Bogle - Keogh - Davies - Forsyth

This is the back four I'd go with in the long term.

I like to see young players playing a role, but there's a fine line between being brave and being reckless. In my mind, having Tomori and one of Wisdom or Bogle in the defence week in, week out would be quite risky. 

Yes, Tomori has grabbed his opportunity with both hands, but it's really difficult to see him being consistently good enough to keep out either Keogh or Davies.

When you have two top Championship defenders in your ranks, it makes more sense to go with those safer options. Especially when they've already proven to be a strong partnership.

I think Davies brings out the best in Keogh and so the whole defence benefits.

Keough.   Tomori.  Davies

Bogle.                                                           Malone/ fozzie    

Then take your pick?

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Why? Is he injured?

Calf injury picked up against Preston, according to the DET.

He is a doubt.

But with a squad of this size, surely there is no point in risking him. In which case, Jozefzoon or Holmes to get another shot?

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Just before the ground (Walton Street) - huge car park never full. Short walk through park to ground. Costs £5

Hull fan told me that today. Said perfectly safe, car wise.

Not parked there before but not far to motorway or Humber bridge, so that’s where I’m heading this time.

59 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I like Jozefzoon but the fact that he didn't start from the very first game suggests that he is going to be made to work for that place in the starting eleven. I don't think his work is done.

I'll be very surprised if Lawrence is dropped. He is one of the first names on the teamsheet and a key player for us. He is frustrating but obviously Frank thinks the best is yet to come.

The front three you've mentioned, maybe that is a front three we'll move towards in the coming months but not imminently.

If Lawrence and Bennett keep playing and we keep winning, why would Frank be moved to change it?

just because we win doesn't mean we cant improve the team by playing other players. we could keep winning with Lawrence missing open goals and giving the ball away all the time but it doesn't mean we should keep playing him, we didn't have to be anywhere near our best to beat Ipswich and Preston because they played like relegation threatened teams and we are a team going for promotion.  Why sign jozeffon and Waghorn only to play bennet and  Lawrence , with bennet not getting enough goals and linking the play well and Lawrence being a ball hog and loosing the ball all the time.

Archived