Joe Bryan - Joined Fulham

Barney1991

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Anon said:

We will never know if Lowe is ready or not if we don't give him the opportunity to prove it. The guy is 21 now, we may as well release him if we feel his injury problems are so bad that we can't trust him to stay fit.

Fair point on Olsson's injury. I'd forgotten about that. I suppose that may leave us a little short, but Anya can fill it at left back too.

Going into a season, until January at least, giving Lowe the opportunity is all well and good. I think he is (or at least will prove to be) a great player for us at left back. But he has been injury prone up to now and unproven at this level. And the fact you are saying Anya 'can fill in' says exactly why we are looking for a left back. Forsyth will not be capable of this high energy, high press, moving the ball quick style Lampard has already influenced on the team. Bryan fits that perfectly, and would give Lowe a real challenge to show Lampard he's good enough. At the moment though he is the only viable option. Risky if we want to be pushing top 6 or even top 2.

1 minute ago, Sidd10 said:

Going into a season, until January at least, giving Lowe the opportunity is all well and good. I think he is (or at least will prove to be) a great player for us at left back. But he has been injury prone up to now and unproven at this level. And the fact you are saying Anya 'can fill in' says exactly why we are looking for a left back. Forsyth will not be capable of this high energy, high press, moving the ball quick style Lampard has already influenced on the team. Bryan fits that perfectly, and would give Lowe a real challenge to show Lampard he's good enough. At the moment though he is the only viable option. Risky if we want to be pushing top 6 or even top 2.

The last time we played a high pressing game with full backs bombing on to support was under McClaren where Forsyth impressed and was almost an ever present.

I know many fans argue that the financial side of the game is none of our concern, but having four full time players and one utility to cover a single position is excessive by Championship standards. It's all well and good speculating on who might be sold, but no offers have come in for players like Forsyth and Olsson and the wages they're on will discourage bids.

8 minutes ago, Anon said:

The last time we played a high pressing game with full backs bombing on to support was under McClaren where Forsyth impressed and was almost an ever present.

I know many fans argue that the financial side of the game is none of our concern, but having four full time players and one utility to cover a single position is excessive by Championship standards. It's all well and good speculating on who might be sold, but no offers have come in for players like Forsyth and Olsson and the wages they're on will discourage bids.

Before he missed 2 seasons with injury yeah?! You are only adding reasons as to why we are looking for a left back! 

32 minutes ago, Anon said:

We will never know if Lowe is ready or not if we don't give him the opportunity to prove it. The guy is 21 now, we may as well release him if we feel his injury problems are so bad that we can't trust him to stay fit.

Fair point on Olsson's injury. I'd forgotten about that. I suppose that may leave us a little short, but Anya can fill it at left back too.

Anya!? Jheeez. He can not be playing for a side who are competing in this league. As for Forsyth everyone knows that he's a liability, turns up one game and for the next 4 he's dreadful, Olsson is knackered. And Lowe is only young and has never played more than 20 games in the EFL before let alone the championship so it makes sense for us to get another player in surely....

5 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Anya!? Jheeez. He can not be playing for a side who are competing in this league. As for Forsyth everyone knows that he's a liability, turns up one game and for the next 4 he's dreadful, Olsson is knackered. And Lowe is only young and has never played more than 20 games in the EFL before let alone the championship so it makes sense for us to get another player in surely....

I think criticism of Anya is harsh. He hasn't ever been given a real chance to do anything here. For what ever reason. He is pacey and shows great work ethic. A proper professional (from the outside). No, I wouldn't have him first 11 by choice but he definitely is a squad player.

2 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I would've hoped we might've learned some lessons from the last time we tried to win the league by buying all the players without properly planning in terms of our wage structure. I get it, some people think Forsyth and Anya are rubbish, that won't change the fact that they're still under contract and need to be paid for, no matter how hard you try to wish them away.

1 minute ago, jimbobram said:

I think criticism of Anya is harsh. He hasn't ever been given a real chance to do anything here. For what ever reason. He is pacey and shows great work ethic. A proper professional (from the outside). No, I wouldn't have him first 11 by choice but he definitely is a squad player.

For me the problem is - He's not big/strong/positionally aware enough to play LB - And not creative enough/good enough at crossing/finishing to play LW - Which is the two positions we have for him

I think he'd make an excellent wing-back where he's not expected to be as creative, has a bit more time for crosses and isn't the last line of defence against wingers - But we haven't really played that way the majority of the time he's been with us

14 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Completely agree, decent player never really made mistakes when he has been called upon. Great attitude as well, the exact sort of player that you would want as a rotation player.

If he was younger we would be calling for him to have a chance, however because he was bought in under Pearson that tarnishes peoples views on him.

Although his wages may be high, but we don't exactly know how much the fella is on. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Derby telegraph deny that Bryan is a priority target so there probably isn't anything in it.

I expect we will sign the lad from Reading and that will be it with Vydra staying after all.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-middlesbrough-joe-bryan-1844423.amp

Bristol paper confirmed a bid and interest from us, Derby Telegraph always seems late to the party with news 

27 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-middlesbrough-joe-bryan-1844423.amp

Bristol paper confirmed a bid and interest from us, Derby Telegraph always seems late to the party with news 

Bristol paper confirmed that a bid has been reported - That's not quite the same - Someone, somewhere has published we made a bid but it's still unconfirmed as far as I'm reading?

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Bristol paper confirmed that a bid has been reported - That's not quite the same - Someone, somewhere has published we made a bid but it's still unconfirmed as far as I'm reading?

'According to our sources we were told that there was "no chance" that the bid for Bryan from Frank Lampard and Mel Morris would be accepted.' 

Reads as though it's confirming the bid was us, not clear either way. Even the confirmation of interest is more than the Derby Telegraph are reporting though 

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

'According to our sources we were told that there was "no chance" that the bid for Bryan from Frank Lampard and Mel Morris would be accepted.' 

Reads as though it's confirming the bid was us, not clear either way. Even the confirmation of interest is more than the Derby Telegraph are reporting though 

That feels like a logical fallacy to me though - They're only saying that a bid has been 'reported' but 'their sources' say it would be rejected...

Why didn't they confirm the bid with their sources? If they have legitimate sources...

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

I haven't trusted anything Bristol Post says since they published a story unequivocally stating we were about to sign Kodjia for £10m rising to £14m and that were just sorting out the final details of the move.

Can't remember if that was when Gregor McGregorface was reporting, or still under the previous guy.

Stockhausen was utterly useless, summer of 2015 he tweeted nothing was happening with our transfers so he was going to take a holiday. 2 days later Kodjia signed.

Gregor McGregor is a bit better, but the paper is still really bad for quality, and half their scoops are already on our forum a day or two earlier.

Archived