Tom Lawrence

Arsene Titman

1 minute ago, Wignall12 said:

Spot on ........Shall we see what the new season brings before slagging players off .............VYDRA got oodles of stick and was written off by all and sundry last year. How many did he score lat season ? .    A lot of people on here like the sound of their own voices ...are you fans or WUM s ?

Wasn't here a thread about Vydra's one miss about a year ago? Such a poor player, but the golden boot winner somehow.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Moist One said:

show me someone who doesn't take crap set pieces and I bet I can find 20 crap set pieces they've taken. He is still learning the game and if he played under Pep at Man City, you'd be excusing him like the comedy apologist you are. He's not poor technically at all, he's just inconsistent and affected by swings in confidence, partially caused by ludicrous level of expectation from unrealistic spectators. Remember he's probably not 150 games into his career yet and never had more than a season at the same club due to loans. 

Every player needs time to settle in and become part of the setup. I admit he doesn't make the right decisions, but that will come with experience. As for hiding, absolute poppycock pal. He's the most willing person we have to take the ball and try and force something to happen, it's the fact he tries to force it (and fails) that gets him criticised, when real fans would encourage him.

If yesterday was a league game at home, in front of 30k, he's have been groaned at so much in the first half, he wouldn't have scored the two in the 2nd half.

You cannot name a player who has NEVER given the ball away through technique or poor decision. Remember we aren't in the champions league, we aren't even in the PL, stop behaving like anyone unworthy of world class status isn't good enough for Derby! It's ignorant, churlish and embarrassing.

I have to say that’s one of the best posts I’ve read on the forum! You’re making a well constructed argument and using logic. Keep that up and the “wrist slashers” will be out in force!!.They don’t like people who use reason and rational opinions.???

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, Harrowram said:

Given the dead wood we already have such as Blackman, Anya, Butterfield, Johnson etc why sell Lawrence to a championship and local rival? It wouldn't make sense with 2 weeks to go until the start of the season unless Stoke offered obscene amounts of money and there was a ready made replacement waiting in the wings.

Aren't flo and Wilson replacements for Lawrence? Getting rid of players like Blackman won't balance the books as they aren't worth anything. 

15 minutes ago, Moist One said:

show me someone who doesn't take crap set pieces and I bet I can find 20 crap set pieces they've taken. He is still learning the game and if he played under Pep at Man City, you'd be excusing him like the comedy apologist you are. He's not poor technically at all, he's just inconsistent and affected by swings in confidence, partially caused by ludicrous level of expectation from unrealistic spectators. Remember he's probably not 150 games into his career yet and never had more than a season at the same club due to loans. 

Every player needs time to settle in and become part of the setup. I admit he doesn't make the right decisions, but that will come with experience. As for hiding, absolute poppycock pal. He's the most willing person we have to take the ball and try and force something to happen, it's the fact he tries to force it (and fails) that gets him criticised, when real fans would encourage him.

If yesterday was a league game at home, in front of 30k, he's have been groaned at so much in the first half, he wouldn't have scored the two in the 2nd half.

You cannot name a player who has NEVER given the ball away through technique or poor decision. Remember we aren't in the champions league, we aren't even in the PL, stop behaving like anyone unworthy of world class status isn't good enough for Derby! It's ignorant, churlish and embarrassing.

I have to say this is spot on........ my response was “utter tripe” because I couldn’t be bothered to waste any more time on such comments but hats off to you - you’ve nailed it with this response!

Frank Lampard "yeah, he's a top class player with ability that you don't see everyday which is he can beat people, balance, great first touch, movement and I think there's lots of goals in tom lawrence"

Bris "he's crap"

nuff said ?

50 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

the term's a 'knuckleball' and the fact you didn't know that, or that it was Juninho who popularised it, is indicative of how little you clearly know about football ?

why you still here anyway, thought the season was a write off? 

In fairness, shane nicholson highlighted his technique when taking free kicks (v southampton), and wished he'd try something more orthodox. 

36 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I think I may have been a little harsh.

Let me rephrase. Lawrence is a crap £7m player. If he was, say, bought for £1.5m I could probably forgive his shortcomings as an average Championship winger. But the fact we spent so much on him... We had our pants well and truely down.

No Derby player lost the ball more times than Lawrence last season. 

In fact, Lawrence was in the top 20 in the Championship for most dispossessed, overrun dribbles and possession lost via ball control. His 75% pass success rate was ony the 15th best at the club last season, in a team which mostly punted it long aimlessly. Jamie Hanson and Ikechi Anya had a better pass success rate than him FFS.

I know we're not in the Champions League. I know we're only in the Championship. So if we're going to spend £7m on a player at this level, I'd at least expect him to have half decent technique and some resemblance of a footballing brain.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Let me rephrase. Lawrence is a crap £7m player. If he was, say, bought for £1.5m I could probably forgive his shortcomings as an average Championship winger. But the fact we spent so much on him... We had our pants well and truely down.

In fact, Lawrence was in the top 20 in the Championship for most dispossessed, overrun dribbles and possession lost via ball control. His 75% pass success rate was ony the 15th best at the club last season, in a team which mostly punted it long aimlessly. Jamie Hanson and Ikechi Anya had a better pass success rate than him FFS.

I know we're not in the Champions League. I know we're only in the Championship. So if we're going to spend £7m on a player at this level, I'd at least expect him to have half decent technique and some resemblance of a footballing brain.

Can't really use Hanson and Anya as a pass comparison mate, how many passes did they try compared to Lawrence? 1 complete out of 1 is 100% 

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

In fairness, shane nicholson highlighted his technique when taking free kicks (v southampton), and wished he'd try something more orthodox. 

Oh I don't disagree that unless you're at Juninho's set piece technique level, it's normally more miss than hit, and Lawrence has been wasteful from set pieces in the past. Just thought the criticism was vacuous, and generally unfounded based on Tom's overall performance yesterday 

31 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Aren't flo and Wilson replacements for Lawrence? Getting rid of players like Blackman won't balance the books as they aren't worth anything. 

Lawrence not going anywhere, Arabia included. So you can sheik that off as an idea PP2. All this talk of no money is a smokescreen so we do not get skanked again. All we need is a goalkeeper and a striker now. Let the exodus begin. 

34 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

They are “worth”something. If they are on 30 k a week with 18 months on a contract. They are “ worth”1.5 million on our balance sheet. Get rid and we save 1.5 mil. Lose 3 of those and that’s quids in 

40 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Based on the game yesterday, I imagine Lawrence will play predominantly on the left, Wilson on the right, Flo on the right. All three can play on both sides though. 

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

But didn’t Lawrence actually cost £5m?

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Isn't that largely due to him being our outlet when counter attacking? The ball would get hit over his head, he'd have to run on to it. He'd typically have four opposition players closer to him than any Derby player, so he had to run at players with little or no support. Lawrence often had to chase the ball, very rarely did he get it played into feet and have a viable option close to him. 

He did a job, he stretched teams, he was our most creative player. He was just criminally used. We saw against Southampton that he's very good with the ball at his feet, he's good at finding options, he can go past a man but there's more to his game than that. I'm very sure he'll be key for us again this season.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ok, what does Tom Lawrence so that’s any good? His only saving grace is that he has time on his side.

He takes crap set-pieces. Constantly chooses the wrong option. Poor technically with his wannabe Ronaldo smashes and has the football intelligence of an oaf.

Some people claim on here that he’s a confidence player. I agree with that.

When he’s not confident he hides and offers nothing. And when he’s confident he’ll receive the ball a lot and then subsequently give it away through poor technique or a poor decision.

Load of  flippenflappen, Bris.

As vague as it gets. (Vegas) 

Trust me, Frank knows more than you.

Frank..... What a dude. 

Frustrated me throughout the season last time out but there's a player in there we've not seen the best of yet. 

The fact people want double the price we paid for him despite his performances last year kinda speaks volumes, we know there's more to come. 

Hopefully he'll stay, a Welsh wizard on either wing with Zoony and Thomas waiting for their opportunity is an upturn on last seasons wide options.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

On WhoScored he was 27th for most dispossessed, but that's not too far off the top 20 so I'll let you off. Mind you, some of the players who were dispossessed more than him include Saiz who has a team bidding £9 million for him, Josh Murphy who just moved to Cardiff for £11 million, Sessegnon who'd probably cost a team upwards of £40 million to buy, Traore who's likely to move for near £20 million, Reid who's just got a big money move and Diogo Jota who cost Wolves £12 million and would probably fetch £20 million + if sold now. 

I can't be bothered looking into the other statistics mentioned but I'm fairly confident you'll find similar calibre players ahead of him in those too.

I don't know about you, but I'd happily take any of those players I mentioned for £7 million despite their ranking in the dispossessed, overrun dribbles, possession lost via ball control and pass success charts. 

Archived