Tom Lawrence

Arsene Titman

8 hours ago, Coconut said:

I'd say the team revolved around Huddlestone a lot more than Vydra.

Huddlestone getting the ball out wide to Weimann & Lawrence on the breakaway. Huddlestone playing it down the channels for Nugent & Jerome to chase. Huddlestone hitting long passes over the top for players running into the box (the number of times the ball reached Weimann, free of the last defender, and he couldn't deal with the ball... aaaargh).

Yes, all that did create space for Vydra, but it didn't exclude other people from the game - despite Vydra's totals we ended the season with the goals and assists spread about amongst more players than the previous season. Weimann getting 5 goals & 6 assists was a miracle, but that alone tells me that our play didn't really revolve around one player.

The biggest problem to me last season was how most of the attacks were poo-or-bust, there was an inordinate amount of pressure on players breaking away to make that pass correctly, no ball retention in the opposition's half, no second chances within in the same move, no player backing you up to pick up the pieces if you lost the ball.  You either got it right or the entire move broke down completely and the opposition started an attack.

It always seemed to be Lawrence & Weimann leading the charge in this regard, and unfortunately they got it wrong, a lot.  Even looking at the Fulham away play-off game,  with some intelligence between them we'd have put players clean through on goal on a number of occasions, but the passes were hit straight at the only defender in sight. (Aaaargh)

For Weimann I'd put that down to him genuinely having no footballing brain or technical ability, for Lawrence I'll put it down to inexperience, immaturity and a just a hint of desperation. To say he has no technical ability is nonsense, but he was guilty of a lot of the things that have been stated on this thread.

....and breathe

If you want to see a team truly revolve around 1 player then you only have to go back to 2016/17 with Ince, but I can't be bothered to go into length on that one (again) as I'll just end up getting shouted down by people who've given him Demigod status and believe him to be an unrivaled creative force for himself and teammates, an expert set piece taker, clinical finisher, visionary playmaker and other such guff.

Take a bow son 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Coconut said:

I'd say the team revolved around Huddlestone a lot more than Vydra.

Huddlestone getting the ball out wide to Weimann & Lawrence on the breakaway. Huddlestone playing it down the channels for Nugent & Jerome to chase. Huddlestone hitting long passes over the top for players running into the box (the number of times the ball reached Weimann, free of the last defender, and he couldn't deal with the ball... aaaargh).

Yes, all that did create space for Vydra, but it didn't exclude other people from the game - despite Vydra's totals we ended the season with the goals and assists spread about amongst more players than the previous season. Weimann getting 5 goals & 6 assists was a miracle, but that alone tells me that our play didn't really revolve around one player.

The biggest problem to me last season was how most of the attacks were poo-or-bust, there was an inordinate amount of pressure on players breaking away to make that pass correctly, no ball retention in the opposition's half, no second chances within in the same move, no player backing you up to pick up the pieces if you lost the ball.  You either got it right or the entire move broke down completely and the opposition started an attack.

It always seemed to be Lawrence & Weimann leading the charge in this regard, and unfortunately they got it wrong, a lot.  Even looking at the Fulham away play-off game,  with some intelligence between them we'd have put players clean through on goal on a number of occasions, but the passes were hit straight at the only defender in sight. (Aaaargh)

For Weimann I'd put that down to him genuinely having no footballing brain or technical ability, for Lawrence I'll put it down to inexperience, immaturity and a just a hint of desperation. To say he has no technical ability is nonsense, but he was guilty of a lot of the things that have been stated on this thread.

....and breathe

If you want to see a team truly revolve around 1 player then you only have to go back to 2016/17 with Ince, but I can't be bothered to go into length on that one (again) as I'll just end up getting shouted down by people who've given him Demigod status and believe him to be an unrivaled creative force for himself and teammates, an expert set piece taker, clinical finisher, visionary playmaker and other such guff.

I do believe you may have a point .. it’s inevitable that Rowett will now come in for the HUD!

13 hours ago, minesahartington said:

I do believe you may have a point .. it’s inevitable that Rowett will now come in for the HUD!

Hes already tried for Curtis, allegedly Lawrence, the dynamic duo of Hudd n Ledley to power stokes promotion push, a snip a £5m each to you mr Rowett.

Well, you are used to getting quoted higher prices aren't you gary.

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hes already tried for Curtis, allegedly Lawrence, the dynamic duo of Hudd n Ledley to power stokes promotion push, a snip a £5m each to you mr Rowett.

Well, you are used to getting quoted higher prices aren't you gary.

Well he just paid £5-6 million on 29 year old we don’t want you McLean 

Archived