Tom Lawrence

Arsene Titman

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think I may have been a little harsh.

Let me rephrase. Lawrence is a crap £7m player. If he was, say, bought for £1.5m I could probably forgive his shortcomings as an average Championship winger. But the fact we spent so much on him... We had our pants well and truely down.

No Derby player lost the ball more times than Lawrence last season. 

In fact, Lawrence was in the top 20 in the Championship for most dispossessed, overrun dribbles and possession lost via ball control. His 75% pass success rate was ony the 15th best at the club last season, in a team which mostly punted it long aimlessly. Jamie Hanson and Ikechi Anya had a better pass success rate than him FFS.

I know we're not in the Champions League. I know we're only in the Championship. So if we're going to spend £7m on a player at this level, I'd at least expect him to have half decent technique and some resemblance of a footballing brain.

Sorry, but you just don’t get it!  Yes, I agree and I’m fairly sure Tom would as well, he did not perform as well as he’d want to last year but he was still one of our most creative players last season and his potential is glaringly obvious to me - backed up by his performances for Ipswich the previous season and is why we invested so much money in a 23 year old.  It was his first season at Derby and yes he made mistakes....... highlighted 10 fold by the moans and groans in the crowd of which I guess you are one.  I’m fairly confident that given the right football philosophy that Lampard seems to be bringing and with a bit of patience and backing from “supporters” he will be a big player for us this season and if we don’t go up in the next year or two he will make us a healthy profit on the £7m invested.  Give him the backing he deserves and he will flourish 

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

If we have the option of selling Lawrence or Vydra for 10m, it's an absolute no-brainer. Bye bye Lawrence. Play Vydra as the number 10. Jozefzoon and Wilson out wide. Huddlestone and Mount in the middle.

So your plan here is to sell our best player during pre-season, move back to a formation that Lampard hasn't shown any sign of utilising, bring back in a player who has been "injured" throughout that time, and push attacking-midfielder Mason Mount back into a defensive two in midfield?

randy marsh meme.jpg

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

If we have the option of selling Lawrence or Vydra for 10m, it's an absolute no-brainer. Bye bye Lawrence. Play Vydra as the number 10. Jozefzoon and Wilson out wide. Huddlestone and Mount in the middle.

Huddlestone and Mount in the middle would get destroyed and outrun and it would be a waste of Mount’s abilities. It looks like we are going back to 4-3-3 this year so if Vydra stays, he will have to drastically adapt otherwise he will face a similar situation to how he did under McClaren.

So your suggestion in this Lampard system is to take someone who contributed to 20+ goals last season for Vitesse and shove him in a position that will require him to sit deep and more than likely cover for the full backs who regularly bomb forward

giphy.gif

Im excited about seeing Lawrence in a footballing side, be a shame to sell him now.

Last season, because of the way we played, he would only get a couple of chances a game. Its difficult to deliver on the ball when you only see it once ever half an hour!

In a more attacking style, he will see more of the ball, be more comfortable on the ball and produce greater returns.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

For someone who pretends to be so clued up on football, this really is a clueless post. Huddlestone and Mount in a midfield two would be useless.

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

So your suggestion in this Lampard system is to take someone who contributed to 20+ goals last season for Vitesse and shove him in a position that will require him to sit deep and more than likely cover for the full backs who regularly bomb forward

giphy.gif

No I'd play three in midfield still. Huddlestone holding, Mount as a linking midfielder and Vydra as the attack-minded central player behind a centre-forward who can hold onto the ball (Chris Martin).

In the short-term, we'd be better off playing Vyds there even if it's not his 100% natural position. At least he has some sort of footballing brain.

Basically, if we had the choice of selling one or the other for 10m, I'd sell Lawrence in a heartbeat. Playing Vydra slightly out of position, or bringing back Bryson there, represents a better option.

No I'd play three in midfield still. Huddlestone holding, Mount as a linking midfielder and Vydra as the attack-minded central player behind a centre-forward who can hold onto the ball (Chris Martin).

In the short-term, we'd be better off playing Vyds there even if it's not his 100% natural position. At least he has some sort of footballing brain.

Basically, if we had the choice of selling one or the other for 10m, I'd sell Lawrence in a heartbeat. Playing Vydra slightly out of position, or bringing back Bryson there, represents a better option.

I still think you're a forest fan on a wind up.

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

I still think you're a forest fan on a wind up.

Why? Because I don't rate Lawrence at all and think our squad is still unbalanced?

Nothing gave me greater pleasure than watching a brilliant, young, hungry Derby team beat a Billy Davies Forest side full on mercenaries 5-0. Unfortunately, since then, we've taken a leaf out of their book and replaced those same players which made us so exciting and replaced them with a bunch of agening, high-wage plodders.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I can understand the logic in selling Lawrence for £10 million over Vydra because Vydra's value should be the higher of the 2, but which of these teams do you think would perform better?

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Lowe

Huddlestone Mount

FloJo Vydra Wilson

Martin

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Lowe

Bryson Ledley Mount

Wilson Nugent Lawrence

Hopefully there would be a new forward in Nugent's place, but even so, I still believe the 2nd team would outperform the first quite comfortably. 

And it's not just a case of sell 1 or the other. The problem we have is Vydra currently has 50k a week wage demands from Leeds, so you'd presume he'd want similar from us to sign a new deal. We aren't in a position to offer those figures so we run the risk of losing him for an awful lot less than the reported £12 million, or worse - nothing, if we choose to keep him.

A Huddlestone- Mount- Vydra midfield would still get outrun and we’d be complaining about the same problems as last season.

The midfield we played yesterday had the perfect balance

Ledley- The defensive knowhow and the ability to prevent opposition counter attacks by being in the right position- almost like a new and improved eustace

Bryson- Lots of energy to put the opposition under pressure and arguably the key man in Lampard’s system

Mount- An all round creative midfielder, who also makes late runs into the box

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why? Because I don't rate Lawrence at all and think our squad is still unbalanced?

Nothing gave me greater pleasure than watching a brilliant, young, hungry Derby team beat a Billy Davies Forest side full on mercenaries 5-0. Unfortunately, since then, we've taken a leaf out of their book and replaced those same players which made us so exciting and replaced them with a bunch of agening, high-wage plodders.

So you want to get rid of one-off our youngest prospects? You don’t make sense at all!!

Tbh...I can gauge pretty quickly what a new manager of Derby County wants to do. The system Derby played under Rowett in no way got anything from Bryson. I had no problem with that, I feel the way Lampard wants to play warrants a Bryson. I also feel Its the making of Tom Lawrence. He now has responsibility with Wilson,Mount,Thomas and Bennett all younger than him. He will thrive on that. Sell Lawrence??? No chance!!!

PistoldPete2
24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Well I agree I certainly wouldn't sell vydra for £10 million. As the top scorer in the league last season he must be worth way more than that. So yes if we need to raise that kind of money , I would sell Lawrence if a £10 million bid came in... Unless it was Stoke in which case I would hold out for £12million. 

Thing is tho if we sell Lawrence and keep vydra where does that lead the Marriott connection? Marriott for vydra might make more sense than Marriott for Lawrence. 

22 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I can understand the logic in selling Lawrence for £10 million over Vydra because Vydra's value should be the higher of the 2, but which of these teams do you think would perform better?

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Lowe

Huddlestone Mount

FloJo Vydra Wilson

Martin

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Lowe

Bryson Ledley Mount

Wilson Nugent Lawrence

Hopefully there would be a new forward in Nugent's place, but even so, I still believe the 2nd team would outperform the first quite comfortably. 

And it's not just a case of sell 1 or the other. The problem we have is Vydra currently has 50k a week wage demands from Leeds, so you'd presume he'd want similar from us to sign a new deal. We aren't in a position to offer those figures so we run the risk of losing him for an awful lot less than the reported £12 million, or worse - nothing, if we choose to keep him.

Wilson is a left winger. Jozefzoon is a right winger. Trying to play them out of their preferred position would be a mistake. Wilson is a better left winger than Lawrence, and by quite some distance too.

It leaves Lawrence's only other option (when Wilson is 100% fit) through the middle. But Vydra or Bryson would both be better options there. 

I wouldn't place Mount or Hudds in a midfield two. I'd definitely get three in there, but I'd rather play Vyds in there insead of Lawrence. 

Archived