Tom Lawrence

Arsene Titman

So Tom, your choices are:

a) Stay and play for a club where you'll be an integral part of the team. Being mentored by one of the most successful goal scoring midfielders of the modern age of world football.

b) Go to a recently relegated team, to play for a manager whose tactics meant you underperformed in your previous season!

Not a hard decision for Tom and I can't see Frank or the club willing to sell him either.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sage said:

Would people take £10m if it was put towards a £15m bid for Traore?

tough question. I am keen to see how far Lawrence can go in the game. If he omits his poor decisions, and improves his timing and becomes slightly more accurate with his shooting, he can dominate this league. Adama Traore is pretty special, but has he hit his ceiling yet, or is there more to come? I wouldn't know which to choose if I was at a club and could only buy one of them.

AS he's already here and plays through the middle, I'd be slightly inclined to stick with what we have.

Given the dead wood we already have such as Blackman, Anya, Butterfield, Johnson etc why sell Lawrence to a championship and local rival? It wouldn't make sense with 2 weeks to go until the start of the season unless Stoke offered obscene amounts of money and there was a ready made replacement waiting in the wings.

6 minutes ago, Moist One said:

tough question. I am keen to see how far Lawrence can go in the game. If he omits his poor decisions, and improves his timing and becomes slightly more accurate with his shooting, he can dominate this league. Adama Traore is pretty special, but has he hit his ceiling yet, or is there more to come? I wouldn't know which to choose if I was at a club and could only buy one of them.

AS he's already here and plays through the middle, I'd be slightly inclined to stick with what we have.

If it was Lawrence for Traore like for like I'd take Traore in s heartbeat.

Let's not get too fooled by one performance against a very poor and disorganised Saints team.

26 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Lawrence - one excellent preseason friendly doesn't make him a world-beater; in contrast, Vydra wasn't played enough last season but still won the Championship Golden Boot.

If Lawrence left tomorrow we could replace him instantly with either Josefzoon or Thomas. I quite like the guy and think he'll be better under Lampard than Rowett, but we overpaid for him and it would be good business to make a profit and reduce the squad size.

How can we have overpaid for him if we could sell at a comfortable profit if we so choose?

19 minutes ago, sage said:

Would people take £10m if it was put towards a £15m bid for Traore?

Nixon saying 18m for traore 

Think Lawrence is good for 12m in this market.

We could sell and purchase a good replacement and striker and loan/sell at least one other striker IMO 

Given that Gary Rowett has been at Stoke for a while now it smacks of bad planning if he really is so serious in buying a player under contract so close to the start of the season and the closure of the transfer window. It reminds me of the chaos this time last year.

Just now, Harrowram said:

Given that Gary Rowett has been at Stoke for a while now it smacks of bad planning if he really is so serious in buying a player under contract so close to the start of the season and the closure of the transfer window. It reminds me of the chaos this time last year.

There are 92 other clubs doing the same?

7 minutes ago, deano180 said:

There are 92 other clubs doing the same?

It is true that very few Championship clubs have spent money and signed players when you analyse the situation. I don't know whether this is due to a lack of money, overspends from previous seasons or whether they are relying on the loan market which is open until the end of August.

However Wolves and Cardiff started last season very strongly and both were promoted.They had their players and tactics in place rather than waiting for Dutch midfielders to sign the correct forms at 1 minute to midnight on the transfer deadline date.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

If it was Lawrence for Traore like for like I'd take Traore in s heartbeat.

Let's not get too fooled by one performance against a very poor and disorganised Saints team.

if you think Lawrence has ONLY had one "performance" in a Derby shirt, then I suggest you don't actually watch football, but garnish your opinions from those vocally entitled moaners and whingers on social media.

Traore? is he much better than Lawrence? really? what did he bring to Middlesbrough?

3 minutes ago, Moist One said:

if you think Lawrence has ONLY had one "performance" in a Derby shirt, then I suggest you don't actually watch football, but garnish your opinions from those vocally entitled moaners and whingers on social media.

Traore? is he much better than Lawrence? really? what did he bring to Middlesbrough?

Thanks for that.

I am not suggesting Lawrence is not a good player.   Far from it. It's just that Traore is a stronger, faster version.

I would be quite happy to keep Tom.

I have also played and watched a lot of football and have never played Play Station or called the game footy like a lot of fans.

Watch yesterday's highlights again and tell me Southampton weren't rubbish. We've had one game of gonna win the league, one of doom and gloom and one where we've turned into Brazil and the league hasn't even started. 

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Watch yesterday's highlights again and tell me Southampton weren't rubbish.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe we made them look rubbish?

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I am not suggesting Lawrence is not a good player.   Far from it. It's just that Traore is a stronger, faster version

How much of Traore did you actually watch last season, other than vs Derby? Traore can be an extremely frustrating player just like Lawrence, I actually think Lawrence is a better football, whilst Traore is the better athlete.

I think the jury is out on Lawrence and for that matter Rowett. Lawrence was a good player before he joined us and who knows he may thrive under the new regime and reach his potential.

Stoke lost all 3 games during their recent trip to Germany so we will soon see how good Rowett is with high expectations and money to spend. That he is reported to be tapping up  a player under contract playing for a former club 2 weeks before the start of the season seems a bit desperate. 

PistoldPete2
9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Thanks for that.

I am not suggesting Lawrence is not a good player.   Far from it. It's just that Traore is a stronger, faster version.

I would be quite happy to keep Tom.

I have also played and watched a lot of football and have never played Play Station or called the game footy like a lot of fans.

Watch yesterday's highlights again and tell me Southampton weren't rubbish. We've had one game of gonna win the league, one of doom and gloom and one where we've turned into Brazil and the league hasn't even started. 

Traore is a very very good player who will be playing in the prem this season I think.

Archived